Bilstein Touring vs HD Struts

Old January 13th 05, 11:43 PM
Raybender

Default Bilstein Touring vs HD Struts

Hi all,

Just happened to look under my 97 328 today and saw that the left front
strut is apparently losing much of its precious bodily fluid. Pulled
the wheel and confirmed.

My question is.... on the Bilstein website they do a bang up job of
selling you on the monotube shock technology as being much better than
twin tube stuff - less foaming etc. BUT, then they apparently have no
monotube strut inserts at OEM spec - closest is their HD struts. Since
I enjoy having the wife fall asleep while I cruise across Nevada near 4K
on the tach in 5th gear, I would like to keep the original ride and
handling characteristics - don't want stiffer shocks.

Bilstein has what they call their Touring shock - it's twin tube,
supposedly OEM spec, and so I'm trying to decide between getting the HD
(which apparently most people get) and this Touring shock that Bilstein
has convinced me is crummy technology. Has anyone else tried these
touring strut inserts? How much stiffer than the stock struts
(non-sport suspension) is the HD, anyway? Could I be pretty happy with
those - just the HD name scaring me?

Thanks,

Frank

Old January 14th 05, 09:37 AM

Is the 328 coupe or sedan? At least in europe the coupes came with
M-tec sport suspension. Bilstein generally make good shocks mono-tube
or not.

Old January 14th 05, 04:36 PM
The Malt Hound

"Raybender" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Just happened to look under my 97 328 today and saw that the left front
> strut is apparently losing much of its precious bodily fluid. Pulled
> the wheel and confirmed.
>
> My question is.... on the Bilstein website they do a bang up job of
> selling you on the monotube shock technology as being much better than
> twin tube stuff - less foaming etc. BUT, then they apparently have no
> monotube strut inserts at OEM spec - closest is their HD struts. Since
> I enjoy having the wife fall asleep while I cruise across Nevada near 4K
> on the tach in 5th gear, I would like to keep the original ride and
> handling characteristics - don't want stiffer shocks.
>
> Bilstein has what they call their Touring shock - it's twin tube,
> supposedly OEM spec, and so I'm trying to decide between getting the HD
> (which apparently most people get) and this Touring shock that Bilstein
> has convinced me is crummy technology. Has anyone else tried these
> touring strut inserts? How much stiffer than the stock struts
> (non-sport suspension) is the HD, anyway? Could I be pretty happy with
> those - just the HD name scaring me?

Frank,

I have bought and installed 3 different types of shocks on 3 different cars.

The Bilstein HDs do have an increased dampening rate as compared to the OE
Sachs/Boge units. They are standard length and so will fit on your car with
no spring change out. I put these on a 2000 SAAB 9-3 SE that I wanted to
stiffen up. The SAAB is too soft in stock trim in my opinion. It worked.
It rode much firmer with these shocks & struts than when new.

The Touring shocks are a much closer match to the OE spec shocks in their
dampening characteristics when new, and with Bilsteins reputation for
quality, may last a bit longer than the OE Boges. I also found that for the
application I was interested in, they were cheaper than I could find the
OEs. If you are looking for a shock that will restore the new car ride,
this is the one for you. I put these on my E34 540iA highway cruizer for
the reasons you quoted above.

I bought the OE Boge Automatic shocks and struts for my 95 325i because I
wanted the car to ride like it did when new and I got them on sale at
Bavaian Autosport which made them the most economical at that time. I
personally do not think that the 3 series needs to ride any stiffer than it
does in stock form for general street use. These would be a good choice for
your needs as well if you can find them cheaper than the Bilstein Tourings.

YMMV,
-Fred W

Old January 14th 05, 06:35 PM
Raybender

The Malt Hound wrote:

> Frank,
>
> I have bought and installed 3 different types of shocks on 3 different cars.
>
> The Bilstein HDs do have an increased dampening rate as compared to the OE
> Sachs/Boge units. They are standard length and so will fit on your car with
> no spring change out. I put these on a 2000 SAAB 9-3 SE that I wanted to
> stiffen up. The SAAB is too soft in stock trim in my opinion. It worked.
> It rode much firmer with these shocks & struts than when new.
>
> The Touring shocks are a much closer match to the OE spec shocks in their
> dampening characteristics when new, and with Bilsteins reputation for
> quality, may last a bit longer than the OE Boges. I also found that for the
> application I was interested in, they were cheaper than I could find the
> OEs. If you are looking for a shock that will restore the new car ride,
> this is the one for you. I put these on my E34 540iA highway cruizer for
> the reasons you quoted above.
>
> I bought the OE Boge Automatic shocks and struts for my 95 325i because I
> wanted the car to ride like it did when new and I got them on sale at
> Bavaian Autosport which made them the most economical at that time. I
> personally do not think that the 3 series needs to ride any stiffer than it
> does in stock form for general street use. These would be a good choice for
> your needs as well if you can find them cheaper than the Bilstein Tourings.
>
> YMMV,
> -Fred W

Thanks Fred,

I called Bilstein and the compression/rebound damping rates for the HD shocks
are about twice that of the OE touring shocks. Way too big a change for me -
this will really amplify jolts and noise from little ripples/divider strips etc.
in the road not to mention the whacks from big bumps.

Thanks for your info on experience with the Touring shocks, looks like I'll be
going with these. Love the stock suspension for highway cruising and high speed
sweepers through the mountains.

Frank

Old January 14th 05, 06:52 PM
The Malt Hound

"Raybender" > wrote in message
> Thanks Fred,
>
> I called Bilstein and the compression/rebound damping rates for the HD
> shocks
> are about twice that of the OE touring shocks. Way too big a change for
> me -
> this will really amplify jolts and noise from little ripples/divider
> strips etc.
> in the road not to mention the whacks from big bumps.
>
> Thanks for your info on experience with the Touring shocks, looks like
> I'll be
> going with these. Love the stock suspension for highway cruising and high
> speed
> sweepers through the mountains.
>
> Frank

That was what I gathered from your OP. You'll like the tourings.

BTW, when I have been in the market for shocks / struts for my BMWS the last
two times I was surprised to discover that the cheapest I could find them
was at Bavarian Auto sports. They also give good mailorder service in
general.

http://bavauto.com/shop.asp

-Fred W