87 octane vs 89 octane

Old August 20th 06, 12:47 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tiny

Default 87 octane vs 89 octane

I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L V6. I'm
concerned about the recommended octane level for the 3.5. All gasoline
is expensive and 89 octane is out of the question. I've read that 87
octane is "OK" to use in the 06 3.5 but there must be a difference or
89 wouldn't be the primary choice. What problems will I have if I use
87 exclusively? (pinging, loss of power, etc.) Thanks.

Man who scratches backside shouldn't bite fingernails.
The gene pool needs more chlorine.
Change .com to .net to reply direct.
www.terraworld.net/tiny
Old August 20th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Tiny" > wrote in message
> I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L V6. I'm
> concerned about the recommended octane level for the 3.5. All gasoline
> is expensive and 89 octane is out of the question. I've read that 87
> octane is "OK" to use in the 06 3.5 but there must be a difference or
> 89 wouldn't be the primary choice. What problems will I have if I use
> 87 exclusively? (pinging, loss of power, etc.) Thanks.
>
> Man who scratches backside shouldn't bite fingernails.
> The gene pool needs more chlorine.
> Change .com to .net to reply direct.
> www.terraworld.net/tiny

You may see some power loss due to the timing being retarded if the engine
controller detects pinging.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old August 20th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
MoPar Man

Tiny wrote:

> I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L V6.
> I'm concerned about the recommended octane level for the 3.5.

If it's the same engine they put in the 300M's, then my 2000 300M does
just fine on 87 octane. That's all I ever use.

> I've read that 87 octane is "OK" to use in the 06 3.5 but there
> must be a difference or 89 wouldn't be the primary choice.

The horsepower, torque, 1/4 mile times they publish are probably using
89 or 91 octane. That's why they say the recommended octane is 89 -
so that you don't complain to them when you don't get the 1/4 mile
time that Road and Track says they got.

Recommended is basically bull****. It's when they say "required" that
you have to sit up and take notice.

> What problems will I have if I use 87 exclusively? (pinging,
> loss of power, etc.) Thanks.

With electronic timing and ping sensors, and the fact that the lowest
grade of gas you can find is basically 87, even engines designed to
use 89 (which I'm sure the 3.5l isin't) can get by with 87.
Old August 20th 06, 01:18 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tbone

MoPar Man wrote:
> Tiny wrote:
>
> > I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L V6.
> > I'm concerned about the recommended octane level for the 3.5.

> If it's the same engine they put in the 300M's, then my 2000 300M does
> just fine on 87 octane. That's all I ever use.
>
> > I've read that 87 octane is "OK" to use in the 06 3.5 but there
> > must be a difference or 89 wouldn't be the primary choice.

> The horsepower, torque, 1/4 mile times they publish are probably using
> 89 or 91 octane. That's why they say the recommended octane is 89 -
> so that you don't complain to them when you don't get the 1/4 mile
> time that Road and Track says they got.
>
> Recommended is basically bull****. It's when they say "required" that
> you have to sit up and take notice.
>
> > What problems will I have if I use 87 exclusively? (pinging,
> > loss of power, etc.) Thanks.

> With electronic timing and ping sensors, and the fact that the lowest
> grade of gas you can find is basically 87, even engines designed to
> use 89 (which I'm sure the 3.5l isin't) can get by with 87.

I have an '06 Ram with the Hemi and in the manual it says to use 89
octane. I've read stories where people have used 87 instead and have
had to have all fuel lines and fuel rails replaced. I just look at it
as spending a few more dollars for something that's required.

Old August 20th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tiny

On 19 Aug 2006 17:18:41 -0700, "Tbone" >
wrote:

<snip>

>I have an '06 Ram with the Hemi and in the manual it says to use 89
>octane. I've read stories where people have used 87 instead and have
>had to have all fuel lines and fuel rails replaced. I just look at it
>as spending a few more dollars for something that's required.

That's a concern but I doubt they'd say 87 octane is "OK" if using it
would do that. My main concern is the 9.9 to 1 compression ratio & 87
octane gas. I'm assuming the timing would have to be retarded to stop
the engine from pinging. I had an 01 Ram with the 318 that had the
timing retarded for that reason (pinging) and it ran like a turd
because of it. I'm not going to race the car but I don't want to spend
that much money on a car to have it run like it's dragging a lead
weight behind it. Thanks for the opinions guys.
Old August 20th 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
miles

Tiny wrote:
> I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L V6. I'm
> concerned about the recommended octane level for the 3.5. All gasoline
> is expensive and 89 octane is out of the question. I've read that 87
> octane is "OK" to use in the 06 3.5 but there must be a difference or
> 89 wouldn't be the primary choice. What problems will I have if I use
> 87 exclusively? (pinging, loss of power, etc.) Thanks.

You're gonna spend over 20K for your new Charger. The added expense of
10 cents or so a gallon isn't going to be much compared to the cost of
the car itself. I have a 2004 Hemi Durango that also requires 89. Just
not enough to worry about compared to how much the Durango cost me.
Total cost of ownership is what matters to me.

However, it does run fine on 87 unless I'm towing or traveling in steep
terrain in hot weather.
Old August 20th 06, 04:37 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tony D.

>>>What problems will I have if I use 87 exclusively? (pinging,
>>>loss of power, etc.) Thanks.

>>With electronic timing and ping sensors, and the fact that the lowest
>>grade of gas you can find is basically 87, even engines designed to
>>use 89 (which I'm sure the 3.5l isin't) can get by with 87.

> I have an '06 Ram with the Hemi and in the manual it says to use 89
> octane. I've read stories where people have used 87 instead and have
> had to have all fuel lines and fuel rails replaced. I just look at it
> as spending a few more dollars for something that's required.

I've heard stories about werewolves and vampires.

I guess that lower octane wears out steel???
Old August 20th 06, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tony D.

Tiny wrote:
> I'm considering the purchase of a 2006 Charger with the 3.5L V6. I'm
> concerned about the recommended octane level for the 3.5. All gasoline
> is expensive and 89 octane is out of the question. I've read that 87
> octane is "OK" to use in the 06 3.5 but there must be a difference or
> 89 wouldn't be the primary choice. What problems will I have if I use
> 87 exclusively? (pinging, loss of power, etc.) Thanks.
>
> Man who scratches backside shouldn't bite fingernails.
> The gene pool needs more chlorine.
> Change .com to .net to reply direct.
> www.terraworld.net/tiny

If the ignition retards enough, your mileage will go down. Depending on
the price of fuel, the decrease in mileage may equal or surpass the fuel
cost of the higher octane.
Old August 20th 06, 05:07 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
MoPar Man

Tbone wrote:

> I have an '06 Ram with the Hemi and in the manual it says to
> use 89 octane. I've read stories where people have used 87
> instead and have had to have all fuel lines and fuel rails
> replaced.

That's bull crap.

The fuel lines aren't affected by the octane rating of the gas.

They're not even affected by the blend of ethanol or methanol in the
gas (but rubber and plastic components are).

> I just look at it as spending a few more dollars for something
> that's required.

That's exactly what the oil companies want you to do. They put a
premium product out there for people with money burning a hole in
their pocket.
Old August 20th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tiny

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:57:16 GMT, MoPar Man > wrote:

<snip>

>If it's the same engine they put in the 300M's, then my 2000 300M does
>just fine on 87 octane. That's all I ever use.

What kind of mileage do you get with your 3.5? Have you checked it on
the highway? The sticker says 27 highway & if it gets close to that
using 87 I won't worry too much. Thanks again.