Sloth Coaster Gets His Come-Uppance

Old July 18th 05, 03:24 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:22:45 GMT, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>> Think of it as Road Karma in action.

>I don't get it. It seems to me the guy in the SUV was doing nothing wrong.

He was needlessly blocking traffic by driving at half the posted speed
limit in the left lane. You see nothing wrong with that? Oh, wait - I
forgot who I was talking to.

>If he had driven 55 up to the intersection, he would have had to lock up his
>brakes to keep from hitting the Durango.

No, he could have changed lanes just as I did.

>If you hadn't decided to switch
>into LLB mode, the SUV drive could have switched into the left lane and
>sailed through the intersection at full speed as well.

The Sloth Coaster was in the left lane the entire time, as was the
Dreamer's Durango. And, since I was moving twice as fast as he was
(once I escaped his rolling roadblock), he could have changed lanes
behind me. For whatever reason he was too witless to do so.

>You seem to think
>you have a right to drive like a total ass because anyone in front of you is
>a "Sloth" driver. Grow up.

Driving at the posted speed limit is driving "like a total ass?"

I think you're starting to lose it, Ed...

Old July 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On 18 Jul 2005 05:30:51 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

>I don't understand this obsession with "sloth coasters..."

It's pretty simple: they needlessly block the road, reducing overall
capacity and throughput. I can't count the number of times I've missed
a left turn arrow because some inconsiderate Sloth Coaster saw a red
light up ahead and decided to just roll up to it at 20 MPH (in a 50
MPH zone). By the time I can get into the left turn pocket, my window
of opportunity is closed, and I have to wait through an entire light
cycle - and all because some asshole thought HE was the most important
driver on the road.

>Often when
>approaching a red light I will start coasting down well back from the
>light, then when it turns green all I have to do is drop a gear or two
>and blow past all the people that ran up to the light at full speed and
>then had to stop for it. Saves wear and tear on the car as well as
>gasoline.

That's fine - just do it in the middle lane so that you don't
needlessly block the entrances to right or left turn pockets. That's
just basic courtesy.

Old July 18th 05, 03:50 PM
223rem

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2005 05:30:51 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:
>

>>I don't understand this obsession with "sloth coasters..."

> It's pretty simple: they needlessly block the road, reducing overall
> capacity and throughput. I can't count the number of times I've missed
> a left turn arrow because some inconsiderate Sloth Coaster saw a red
> light up ahead and decided to just roll up to it at 20 MPH (in a 50
> MPH zone). By the time I can get into the left turn pocket, my window
> of opportunity is closed, and I have to wait through an entire light
> cycle - and all because some asshole thought HE was the most important
> driver on the road.

Had you not had your left turn signal on, the driver in front of
you would have sped up to allow you to catch the green.

(yeah right)
Old July 18th 05, 04:44 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"JohnH" > wrote in message
>> I don't understand this obsession with "sloth coasters..." Often when
>> approaching a red light I will start coasting down well back from the
>> light, then when it turns green all I have to do is drop a gear or two
>> and blow past all the people that ran up to the light at full speed
>> and then had to stop for it. Saves wear and tear on the car as well
>> as gasoline.

> Same here; I usually get the jump on the jerky drivers who haul ass to a
> red light.

I do this too. It works great on timed lights, but hey. Some folks just
have to get to the next light before anyone else.

Old July 18th 05, 08:35 PM
C. E. White

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:22:45 GMT, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Think of it as Road Karma in action.

>>I don't get it. It seems to me the guy in the SUV was doing nothing wrong.

> He was needlessly blocking traffic by driving at half the posted speed
> limit in the left lane. You see nothing wrong with that? Oh, wait - I
> forgot who I was talking to.
>
>>If he had driven 55 up to the intersection, he would have had to lock up
>>his
>>brakes to keep from hitting the Durango.

> No, he could have changed lanes just as I did.
>
>>If you hadn't decided to switch
>>into LLB mode, the SUV drive could have switched into the left lane and
>>sailed through the intersection at full speed as well.

> The Sloth Coaster was in the left lane the entire time, as was the
> Dreamer's Durango. And, since I was moving twice as fast as he was
> (once I escaped his rolling roadblock), he could have changed lanes
> behind me. For whatever reason he was too witless to do so.
>
>>You seem to think
>>you have a right to drive like a total ass because anyone in front of you
>>is
>>a "Sloth" driver. Grow up.

> Driving at the posted speed limit is driving "like a total ass?"
>
> I think you're starting to lose it, Ed...

Well you are including additional information not in your original post. I
thought you were totally against passing on the right? And slowing down to
catch the light while you are still rolling can increase the average speed
of traffic (hitting the intersection at 30 mph is faster than stopping and
accelerating from 0). Roaring up to a red light and screeching to a halt
wastes gas and time. I'll admit there are cases where people slow down way
to much and way to soon. However, it seems to me that your characterization
of the SUV driver in your little story is just another case of you trying to
demonize someone driving in a safe and reasonable manner (well except for
possibly being an LLB - sounds like it was a busy surface street). At worst,
he did nothing to interfere with you. In fact it seems to me like you should
have titled your little story, "How I cut off another diver and passed him
on the right." Every time I see one of your "sloth driver" tales, all I see
is a bad driver trying to justify his rude and possibly dangerous behavior
by claiming the other guy is a "sloth." I guess we are lucky we are a
continent apart. I can only imagine how you would have written he story if
the SUV driver had switched to right lane in front of you......maybe you
would have said - "Killer Sloth SUV Driver slows me down by 1 sec at a
light...."

Ed

Old July 19th 05, 02:19 AM
Kenneth Crudup

In article >, newsgroup says:

>It's pretty simple: they needlessly block the road, reducing overall
>capacity and throughput. I can't count the number of times I've missed
>a left turn arrow because some inconsiderate Sloth Coaster saw a red
>light up ahead and decided to just roll up to it at 20 MPH (in a 50
>MPH zone).

Amen; it's not about the *sloth* car, it's about all the poor fsckers
stuck *behind* him (or usually, "her").

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898
Old July 19th 05, 04:02 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:35:00 GMT, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>Well you are including additional information not in your original post.

Apparently clarification was necessary.

>I thought you were totally against passing on the right?

No, that's Ricardo. I'm totally pragmatic - if there's a way around a
Sloth, I'll take it; I won't waste my time in a futile attempt to
"teach them a lesson."

>And slowing down to
>catch the light while you are still rolling can increase the average speed
>of traffic

CAN. But not all practitioners are competent. Hence the distinction
between "Coasters" and "Sloth Coasters."

>However, it seems to me that your characterization
>of the SUV driver in your little story is just another case of you trying to
>demonize someone driving in a safe and reasonable manner (well except for
>possibly being an LLB - sounds like it was a busy surface street). At worst,
>he did nothing to interfere with you.

Amazing how you can make that determination without having been there
yourself. How about telling us where Jimmy Hoffa is buried before your
clairvoyance wears off?

>In fact it seems to me like you should
>have titled your little story, "How I cut off another diver and passed him
>on the right."

How could I cut him off? I was stuck BEHIND him.

Old July 19th 05, 04:06 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:44:09 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>> Same here; I usually get the jump on the jerky drivers who haul ass to a
>> red light.

>I do this too. It works great on timed lights

....Which do not exist here in SoCal in any great numbers. And therein
lies the flaw in the whole Coaster concept: there absolutely no way to
tell from half a mile away when the light is going to change - yet
these Sloth Coasters smugly hold up traffic and think they're smarter
than everybody else.

What tools!

Old July 19th 05, 05:33 AM
C. E. White

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 19:35:00 GMT, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>
>>Well you are including additional information not in your original post.

> Apparently clarification was necessary.
>
>>I thought you were totally against passing on the right?

> No, that's Ricardo. I'm totally pragmatic - if there's a way around a
> Sloth, I'll take it; I won't waste my time in a futile attempt to
> "teach them a lesson."
>
>>And slowing down to
>>catch the light while you are still rolling can increase the average speed
>>of traffic

> CAN. But not all practitioners are competent. Hence the distinction
> between "Coasters" and "Sloth Coasters."

I am sure you are the qualified to make the distinction. Of course in your
mind anyone who is slowing you in the least is a sloth.

>>However, it seems to me that your characterization
>>of the SUV driver in your little story is just another case of you trying
>>demonize someone driving in a safe and reasonable manner (well except for
>>possibly being an LLB - sounds like it was a busy surface street). At
>>worst,
>>he did nothing to interfere with you.

> Amazing how you can make that determination without having been there
> yourself. How about telling us where Jimmy Hoffa is buried before your
> clairvoyance wears off?

I was just reading your information - "After a couple cars in the next lane
turned off I managed to break free. The ultimate irony ensued when I sailed
through the now-green signal at full speed, while the Sloth Coaster got
stuck behind some dreamer in a Durango who had been stopped at the red light
and failed to begin moving immediately when the light turned green."

Seems to me that the SUV driver could have moved into the right lane before
you and had to slow or stop for the turning traffic, or did exactly as he
did - slow down as he approached a red light with a vehicle stopped in his
lane. You were the one switching lanes and passing on the right. If the
Durango had pulled off in a normal manner, what story would you have
concocted? I am sure if the SUV driver had switched to the right lane, you'd
have bitched about another sloth driver cutting you off and preventing you
from sailing through the intersection at full speed. I suppose you would
have been happier if the SUV driver had switched to the right lane, blazed
up to the intersection at 55, skidded to a halt at the red light, and then
pulled off with yourself trapped behind. Yeah right, I am sure that is what
you would have wanted. You spend a lot of time creating stories that prove
you are an inconsiderate and potentially dangerous driver. Grow up.

>>In fact it seems to me like you should
>>have titled your little story, "How I cut off another diver and passed him
>>on the right."

> How could I cut him off? I was stuck BEHIND him.

Clearly you were not stuck behind him since you bragged about blowing by
him. I am only guessing but your usual self described driving style leads me
to believe you probably roared up on his rear end, cut into the right as
soon as the turning traffic moved out of the lane before a reasonably
competent driver had time to check his mirrors, signal his intentions, and
make a legal lane change - i.e., you cut him off. Again just a guess, but I
suspect a good one. It fits your self described rude behavior. Of course, I
am sure you just see it as a great bit of driving. After all, it is all
about you.

Ed

Old July 19th 05, 01:02 PM
C. E. White

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:44:09 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Same here; I usually get the jump on the jerky drivers who haul ass to a
>>> red light.

>>I do this too. It works great on timed lights

> ...Which do not exist here in SoCal in any great numbers. And therein
> lies the flaw in the whole Coaster concept: there absolutely no way to
> tell from half a mile away when the light is going to change - yet
> these Sloth Coasters smugly hold up traffic and think they're smarter
> than everybody else.

So instead they should roar up to the intersection at full speed, lock their
brakes when the light doesn't change, and then set at a stop until it does
change.

Glad to see you are so smart. Do you every look in the mirror?

Ed

Sloth Kills Two More Scott en Aztlán Driving 65 July 18th 05 01:26 PM
Sloth as a revenge tool/enablers Brent P Driving 11 May 1st 05 09:03 AM
SLoth. Brent P Driving 0 April 29th 05 02:13 AM
U-Turn Sloth and Enabler Alexander Rogge Driving 1 April 21st 05 02:52 AM
MFFY Sloth in minivan Alexander Rogge Driving 1 March 12th 05 07:20 PM