Buyer Beware and Car Fax

Old September 7th 04, 04:04 PM
Marty

Default Buyer Beware and Car Fax

Buying locally it seems is just as risky as e-bay if you are as unfamiliar
with a C4 as I was. When I bought mine last month I thought I got a great
deal.
Well now I have to say that it wasn't a great deal but I wasn't ripped off
either. I knew it was going to need paint and interior,I just didn't know
what to look for in regards to the body. After removing the hatch w/strip I
discovered the left 1/4 panel was loose. Removing the rear bumper revealed
it had taken a smack on the left rear corner. Not a real major problem,but
more than I was expecting to deal with.
This is the 3rd car I have checked with CarFax that had no history of damage
but was in a wreck.

Oh well, Buyer Beware!

Marty

Old September 7th 04, 05:05 PM
CardsFan

"Marty" > wrote in message
> Buying locally it seems is just as risky as e-bay if you are as unfamiliar
> with a C4 as I was. When I bought mine last month I thought I got a great
> deal.
> Well now I have to say that it wasn't a great deal but I wasn't ripped off
> either. I knew it was going to need paint and interior,I just didn't know
> what to look for in regards to the body. After removing the hatch w/strip

> discovered the left 1/4 panel was loose. Removing the rear bumper revealed
> it had taken a smack on the left rear corner. Not a real major problem,but
> more than I was expecting to deal with.
> This is the 3rd car I have checked with CarFax that had no history of

damage
> but was in a wreck.
>
> Oh well, Buyer Beware!

Sometime back, poster "Dad" explained how that might be possible. I would
get in touch with CarFax, tell them about this, ask for an explanation and
demand my money back.

AJM
'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Old September 7th 04, 05:05 PM
CardsFan

Old September 8th 04, 02:35 AM
Diode

Marty spoke thusly...

> What sucks is,that I checked it thru CarFax the day after the purchase. I
> discovered some sanding scratches and the use of fiberglass cloth in the
> hood.
> Day late and dollars short :-(

I don't get it...why would you expect to find out about body repairs
through car fax unless they were major insurance pay outs? Many, many
people have their car fixed without reporting it to their insurance
companies for fear of their rates going up (which they do, of course).
I'm also sure that body shops aren't going to do much reporting of
anything to anybody about anything...at least not the body shops I know.
What am I missing? The only thing I expected from CarFax was to make
sure the title was clear and the car wasn't a "salvage".

--
-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
Old September 8th 04, 02:35 AM
Diode

Old September 8th 04, 03:04 AM
SAScheffey

Even if the vehicle is salvaged, don't rely on CarFax to catch it. After
reading a Consumer Reports article a fews back on this subject I did my own
checking, and found that CarFax doesn't always catch serious issues.
Old September 8th 04, 03:04 AM
SAScheffey

Old September 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Marty

"Diode" > wrote in message
et...
> Marty spoke thusly...
>
> > What sucks is,that I checked it thru CarFax the day after the purchase.

> > discovered some sanding scratches and the use of fiberglass cloth in the
> > hood.
> > Day late and dollars short :-(
> >

> I don't get it...why would you expect to find out about body repairs
> through car fax unless they were major insurance pay outs? Many, many
> people have their car fixed without reporting it to their insurance
> companies for fear of their rates going up (which they do, of course).
> I'm also sure that body shops aren't going to do much reporting of
> anything to anybody about anything...at least not the body shops I know.
> What am I missing? The only thing I expected from CarFax was to make
> sure the title was clear and the car wasn't a "salvage".
>
> --
> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
> '68 L-79 Coupe
> '79 Triumph Bonneville
> Shut up, dave.
> Professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt.
> Actual mileage may vary.

At first I was figuring the amount damage I found would have been enough to
have been an insurance claim. Closer inspection shows it was repaired as
cheap as possible. The body work is so shoddy, I just got done peeling the
paint off most of the hood with a razor blade(one piece is about 5" square).
So it was obviously "patched up" and traded in.
Yes, I also have done my own body repairs to avoid a claim or the amount was
so small that the deductible was the majority of the bill.
Really I was venting about my "impulse purchase". I should have left CarFax
out of it.
Marty

Old September 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Marty