Differential leaking on 1995 Ford Explorer

Old December 29th 04, 03:09 AM
trail_blazer

Default Differential leaking on 1995 Ford Explorer

I have a 1997 Explorer, 4WD. I sent in for routine maintenance and the
dealer told me about the front differential leak. They said the repair
charge will be $331. Can someone briefly explain to me about the impact
of this problem (such as it will damage the engine? or ???)? Is this a
serious proble that has to be fixed right away? Thanks. $331 is not
cheap. If it has to be done, I will get it done.

Thanks.

Old December 29th 04, 10:27 AM
Jim Warman

There are several places that the front diff can leak from... Pinion seal,
drive axle seals, case parting lines.... Therefore, I can't speak for the
veracity of the repair quote. Left unattended, the unit could run dry.....
Even without engaging 4WD, there can be significant damage from the lack of
lube. There is a chance that the resulting cost may make engine replacement
look like a walk in the park.

Cars are a lot like women... leave 'em hurtin' long enough and they get real
mean.

lkaboutautos.com...