Any experience with Mobil One filters?

Old February 9th 05, 07:33 PM
popeyeball

Default Any experience with Mobil One filters?

I have been putting in Mobil One oil sine I picked up my 97 TJ six
years ago. I had been using an extra duty oil filter, unaware that
Mobil One had an oil filter. In the fall I put in a Mobil One filter
and my oil pressure ran high - over 42#s. The owner's handbook said
never to operate vehicle over 40 so this concerned me. I checked to
ensure I did not put in to much oil. With the clean oil it can be hard
to tell so I drain a tad but the pressure remained high. I left the
engine in this condition until my next change in December but went back
to the previous oil filter. My pressure never went above 40 with that
filter.
Strange thing is, with the Mobil One filter the low end of my oil
pressure always stayed higher that the previously used filter and I
knew this was good. So my question is my fellow Romans: Thumbs UP or
Thumbs DOWN on Mobil One oil filters?
Thanks,
Steve

Old February 9th 05, 10:44 PM
Joe Carroll

On 9 Feb 2005 10:33:16 -0800, "popeyeball" >
wrote:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
Joe Carroll
2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are."
Joseph Duemer
Old February 9th 05, 11:20 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Mobil 1 filters seemed to work ok in my Jeep, but when I used it in my Ford
Superduty V10 the oil seemed to take a couple extra seconds to make it to
the cylinder heads. Might be the difference in design for the different
engines, but I switched to Wix and Motorcraft filters in the Ford and I
don't get all that valvetrain noise on startup. Unless it's 10 below zero
outside, that is.

ups.com...

Old February 9th 05, 11:31 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Steve,
Not to worry, the oil pressure above specs is relieved at the pump:
http://www.bit.spt.fi/antti-ville.na...p_assembly.jpg
Low oil pressure may be an indication the oil filter is clogged or it's
bypass is not working: http://billhughes.com/mirror/oilfilterstudy.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 9th 05, 11:56 PM
JimG

Plus or minus two pounds is probably the accuracy limit of the pressure
metering system (if you're lucky).

If you swear by their oil you should swear by their filter. You and another
poster here today should get together and trade secrets of the eternal
engine.

I would also recommend you try throttle body spacers, K&N air filters,
electric fans, inertia rings, and snake oil.

(I'm sorry, I shouldn't be such a smart a$$.)
--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old February 10th 05, 04:15 AM
twaldron

....or he could go with straight 30w dino, cork gaskets, bottom posting,
and jackass lineament for boils because that's the way it's always been
done before...

JimG wrote:
> Plus or minus two pounds is probably the accuracy limit of the pressure
> metering system (if you're lucky).
>
> If you swear by their oil you should swear by their filter. You and another
> poster here today should get together and trade secrets of the eternal
> engine.
>
> I would also recommend you try throttle body spacers, K&N air filters,
> electric fans, inertia rings, and snake oil.
>
> (I'm sorry, I shouldn't be such a smart a$$.)

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old February 10th 05, 06:53 AM
Jerry Bransford

Mobil-1's oil filter scored very highly in some recent oil filter tests
of filtration abilities. I'm thinking of switching to it.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old February 11th 05, 03:12 AM
popeyeball

It seems that Mobil 1 filters are fairing much better than the Mobil 1
oil on the other posts. Thanks for all your input, especially Joe
Carroll with his exhausting and thurough examination of containers,
filtation elements, and other features of various filters. This sure
beats my test of opening the box and looking down through the hole. In
my original statement I wrote a typo of 42# which should have read
"quite a bit above 40#". I have decided to stay with the Mobil 1
filter for the opposite reason. I liked the fact that this filter
helped keep my idling oil pressure higher. As for what kind of oil I
use? I don't dare say here - especially not today. Thank you
professors all. Steve

Old February 11th 05, 03:39 AM
JimG

Give credit where do...

Copyright © 1996-2003 Russ W. Knize.

Joe simply posted the link. You should pay closer attention.

JimG

Old February 11th 05, 05:07 AM
popeyeball

Thanks Jim (I'll pay as close attention as I can afford).

Heres two searches on relevant SAE studies of oil filters mentioned in
above link created by Russ W. Knize (I don't know how to make a
copyright sign):

SAE J1858 (including German study)

SAE J806
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...06&btnG=Search