1998 Accord EX V6 and 2000 EX-L V6

Old June 17th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1998 Accord EX V6 and 2000 EX-L V6

Looking at a couple of Accords. One for my daughter and maybe one for
me. We trust the particular dealer and have done business with them for
several cars in the past.

Daughter first.

She's found a 1998 Accord V6 coupe with around 110,000 miles. Seems to
have been maintained OK (oil, scheduled maintenance, belts). Haven't
had a chance to drive it since it came in on trade just before we got to
the dealer. Dealer says retails $6900 will sell for $5500.

Any issues with a '98 Accord V6? Anything we need to look for?

Also looking at a 2000 Accord EX-Leather with 77,xxx miles. Any issue
or problems with the 2000 V6s? Anything we need to look for?

TIA,

Merrill

Old June 18th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

98 Accord: I have an EX V-6 coupe. Notable to me are the INSUFFICIENT
EGR flow problem - pinging and not passing emissions. Main relay
failure - car won't start. Failed fuel sending unit - low gas light
quits and gauge reading is specious. Ignition switch failure - car
shuts off while driving. I dealt with all of those...or need to :-)
Any more? Anyone? OOOH! Also at that mileage i wouldn't buy it
unless it has just had a complete timing belt/water pump/etc job. Or
get 'em to figure it in. that's worth about $$800 I think and the book
says change them NOW!!!! I got 125000 out of my TB and the dealer was
surprised saying they usually failed sooner than later and I was a rare
case. but my car had 81000k at purchase and all were highway.

Kevin

Old June 18th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

FunkyKev wrote:

> 98 Accord: I have an EX V-6 coupe. Notable to me are the INSUFFICIENT
> EGR flow problem - pinging and not passing emissions. Main relay
> failure - car won't start. Failed fuel sending unit - low gas light
> quits and gauge reading is specious. Ignition switch failure - car
> shuts off while driving. I dealt with all of those...or need to :-)
> Any more? Anyone? OOOH! Also at that mileage i wouldn't buy it
> unless it has just had a complete timing belt/water pump/etc job. Or
> get 'em to figure it in. that's worth about $$800 I think and the book
> says change them NOW!!!! I got 125000 out of my TB and the dealer was
> surprised saying they usually failed sooner than later and I was a rare
> case. but my car had 81000k at purchase and all were highway.
>
> Kevin
> Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
> > Any issues with a '98 Accord V6? Anything we need to look for?

Isn't the ignition switch a freebee under the recall?
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-031e.pdf

You might want to go through all the TSB's for the Accord that tegger
has compiled at
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/a...ex.html#accord

The PDI's (for all Hondas) are interesting . . . .

'Curly'
Old June 18th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

> FunkyKev wrote:
>
>>98 Accord: I have an EX V-6 coupe. Notable to me are the INSUFFICIENT
>>EGR flow problem - pinging and not passing emissions. Main relay
>>failure - car won't start. Failed fuel sending unit - low gas light
>>quits and gauge reading is specious. Ignition switch failure - car
>>shuts off while driving. I dealt with all of those...or need to :-)
>>Any more? Anyone? OOOH! Also at that mileage i wouldn't buy it
>>unless it has just had a complete timing belt/water pump/etc job. Or
>>get 'em to figure it in. that's worth about $$800 I think and the book
>>says change them NOW!!!! I got 125000 out of my TB and the dealer was
>>surprised saying they usually failed sooner than later and I was a rare
>>case. but my car had 81000k at purchase and all were highway.
>>
>>Kevin
>>Merrill P. L. Worthington wrote:
>>
>>>Any issues with a '98 Accord V6? Anything we need to look for?

> Isn't the ignition switch a freebee under the recall?
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x02-031e.pdf
>
> You might want to go through all the TSB's for the Accord that tegger
> has compiled at
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/a...ex.html#accord
>
> The PDI's (for all Hondas) are interesting . . . .
>
> 'Curly'

Thanks. I'm always concerned about the timing belts. This is good info
for follow-up on the maintenance records.

MPLW

Old June 19th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Automatic transmission failures!