Mazda 3 5-door likely to replace Miata; any factory-dealer incentives on '05 3's running now?

Old April 29th 05, 05:54 AM
Doug

Default Mazda 3 5-door likely to replace Miata; any factory-dealer incentives on '05 3's running now?

- Mazda holdback = 2% of base MSRP
Q: any factory-dealer incentives on '05 3's running now?

Story:

After a long series of comparisons between the Ford SVT Focus, Mazda 3
5-door, Toyota Matrix, Subaru wagons, and Mazda Protege5, I've
basically decided to get the 3. The Miata will stay in the family.
It's worth more to me in memories than $ anyway.

The SVT Focus overall had the best handling, road feel, and braking.
It won every driving category for its price in my first hand tests
really. But the need to use premium gas, some niggling problems that
owners have had, and not enough choices on the used market pushed me
away. I'd have gone '03 or '04 for the 5 door style and any leftover
mfgs warranty. Around $13k-$15k.

The Subbies are either too expensive in WRX or higher form, or too
unMiata-like for me in lower form, notably the braking. But I tell
you, the WRX wagon I drove felt so ridiculously precise in everything
it did I almost didn't believe it. Like a fine instrument.

The Matrix I just didn't like, end of issue.

The Protege5 came closest to a Miata-like driving experience. It just
feels light and flickable and a blast to drive, with the 130 horse
engine pushing that weight giving a similar power/weight feel as the
Miata. No reason I shouldn't get a P5 really, just a matter of a good
deal appearing on the used market to sway me away from the 3. Around
$12k for an '02 or '03.

The 3 has a surprisingly torquey engine, feels smoother, more solid,
and more expensive than the cost, is pretty darn quick, has nice
styling, the handling is close enough to very good that I'm happy, the
tranny feels awfully good, the braking is good, and I'm kinda Mazda
oriented anyway. I'm sure some bits in the future can make it even
better. Around $18k new.

So it's new 3 vs. used P5.

Funny, but months ago when I first posed a Q in this group about
replacing my Miata, someone suggested I take a hard look at the 3.

Doug

Mazda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Mazda 0 February 12th 05 01:59 PM
1994 Mazda Miata for Sale Justin Mazda 1 January 28th 05 06:21 PM
Trade: 1994 Mazda Miata + $$$ for Karmann Ghia MoreOfTheBugs Mazda 0 January 23rd 05 08:33 PM
My Beetle's Maintenance Schedule - Help Please! Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM
OEM Mazda parts microfiche sets for sale Bigjfig Mazda 0 August 29th 04 11:21 PM