Got the New Z06

Old August 6th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

Default Got the New Z06

Well, I traded in the '04 Z on a "used" (2700 miles) '08 Z06.

First thoughts:

PRO'S:

Power. Scary fast. It really hooks up without a wild burnout. Of course
the traction control was on.
A really amazing engine.

Quiet: Much quieter than the C5-Z. The exhaust sounds great opened up.

Handling. Real neutral. The old Z liked to throw the rear end out under
throttle.

Interior: Seat feel much better than the cheap C5-Z seats. Interior
looks much nicer although I had no beef with the C5 interior.

The Bose stereo is better than the C5 one. Good thing as there's no
replacing this unit. Jeez, it's got radio, XM, Onstar, GPS and who knows
what else installed.

CON'S:

Too much stuff. The reason why the car costs so much isn't just the
drivetrain and chassis. It's all the electronics.
Do you need electric door handles inside and out? A simple handle would do
fine.

There's radio controls on the steering wheel. It's about 6 inches from the
radio. Just extra cost. And if I'm in a competitive situation, the radio
is going to be turned off anyway.

The cargo area is smaller. The car is shorter, so you loose space there.
It also isn't as deep. And there's only one cubby hole, where my old one
had three. They put the battery in the rear to make room for the oil sump
under the hood. My old Z could get two sets of golf clubs, two overnight
bags and an ice chest in the back. Was amazing. I'll have to check how
things'll fit.

That stupid 1>4 skip shifter is still installed. Need to disable it.

I'll follow up as I learn more. Anyone else have comparisons of the C6 vs.
the C5 Z

Ed

Old August 6th 08, 11:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Spud" > wrote in message
> Well, I traded in the '04 Z on a "used" (2700 miles) '08 Z06.
>
> First thoughts:
>
> PRO'S:
>
> Power. Scary fast. It really hooks up without a wild burnout. Of
> course the traction control was on.
> A really amazing engine.
>
> Quiet: Much quieter than the C5-Z. The exhaust sounds great
> opened up.
>
> Handling. Real neutral. The old Z liked to throw the rear end
> out under throttle.
>
> Interior: Seat feel much better than the cheap C5-Z seats.
> Interior looks much nicer although I had no beef with the C5
> interior.
>
> The Bose stereo is better than the C5 one. Good thing as there's no
> replacing this unit. Jeez, it's got radio, XM, Onstar, GPS and who
> knows what else installed.
>

> CON'S:
>
> Too much stuff. The reason why the car costs so much isn't just
> the drivetrain and chassis. It's all the electronics.
> Do you need electric door handles inside and out? A simple handle
> would do fine.
>
> There's radio controls on the steering wheel. It's about 6 inches
> from the radio. Just extra cost. And if I'm in a competitive
> situation, the radio is going to be turned off anyway.
>
> The cargo area is smaller. The car is shorter, so you loose space
> there. It also isn't as deep. And there's only one cubby hole,
> where my old one had three. They put the battery in the rear to
> make room for the oil sump under the hood. My old Z could get two
> sets of golf clubs, two overnight bags and an ice chest in the back.
> Was amazing. I'll have to check how things'll fit.
>
> That stupid 1>4 skip shifter is still installed. Need to disable
> it.

On the skip shift I used a 2.2k-Ohm 1/2 watt 5% resistor in the
transmission cable and taped the end shut to keep out the eliminates.
Radioshack number 271-1121, 5 for $2, it has worked fine for 4 years.

On the electronics I have to agree, way to gimmicky. All in all the C6
is a step backward from the C5 other that the HP jump.

Good luck with your new ride.

Old August 12th 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 6, 4:56*pm, "Spud" > wrote:
> Well, * I traded in the '04 Z on a "used" (2700 miles) '08 Z06.
>
> First thoughts:
>
> PRO'S:
>
> Power. *Scary fast. *It really hooks up without a wild burnout. * Of course
> the traction control was on.
> A really amazing engine.
>
> Quiet: * Much quieter than the C5-Z. * The exhaust sounds great opened up.
>
> Handling. * Real neutral. * The old Z liked to throw the rear end out under
> throttle.
>
> Interior: * Seat feel much better than the cheap C5-Z seats. * Interior
> looks much nicer although I had no beef with the C5 interior.
>
> The Bose stereo is better than the C5 one. *Good thing as there's no
> replacing this unit. * Jeez, it's got radio, XM, Onstar, GPS and who knows
> what else installed.
>
> CON'S:
>
> Too much stuff. * *The reason why the car costs so much isn't just the
> drivetrain and chassis. * It's all the electronics.
> Do you need electric door handles inside and out? * A simple handle would do
> fine.
>
> There's radio controls on the steering wheel. * It's about 6 inches from the
> radio. *Just extra cost. * And if I'm in a competitive situation, the radio
> is going to be turned off anyway.
>
> The cargo area is smaller. * The car is shorter, so you loose space there.
> It also isn't as deep. * And there's only one cubby hole, where my old one
> had three. * They put the battery in the rear to make room for the oil sump
> under the hood. *My old Z could get two sets of golf clubs, two overnight
> bags and an ice chest in the back. * Was amazing. * I'll have to check how
> things'll fit.
>
> That stupid 1>4 skip shifter is still installed. * Need to disable it.
>
> I'll follow up as I learn more. * Anyone else have comparisons of the C6 vs.
> the C5 Z
>
> Ed

REPLY: Sounds like an awesome car overall. Id consider getting it
DynoTuned which will include optimizing air/fuel ratios , eliminating
1-4 shift, disable o2 sensor so you can update the exhaust if you
like, have the radiator fan start ramping up sooner (and max. speed
sooner) for a cooler running motor , as well as a few other goodies.
I had my 2006 C6 done recently and its smoother running and more
responsive. I suspect fuel mileage will increase also.
Old August 12th 08, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

No offense, but you buy a $70,000 car and then start taking stuff apart like
GM engineers are stupid?

Amazing..

Vito

Old August 12th 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

> wrote in message

Sounds like an awesome car overall. Id consider getting it
DynoTuned which will include optimizing air/fuel ratios ,
eliminating
1-4 shift, disable o2 sensor so you can update the exhaust
if you
like, have the radiator fan start ramping up sooner (and
max. speed
sooner) for a cooler running motor , as well as a few other
goodies.
I had my 2006 C6 done recently and its smoother running and
more
responsive. I suspect fuel mileage will increase also.
==========
reply

the New Z06 doesn't need an exhaust mod.

its not like your 06-C6

my2¢
--
'Key
=====

Old August 12th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"'Key" > wrote in message
. ..
> > wrote in message
>

> Sounds like an awesome car overall. Id consider getting it
> DynoTuned which will include optimizing air/fuel ratios ,
> eliminating
> 1-4 shift, disable o2 sensor so you can update the exhaust if you
> like, have the radiator fan start ramping up sooner (and max. speed
> sooner) for a cooler running motor , as well as a few other goodies.
> I had my 2006 C6 done recently and its smoother running and more
> responsive. I suspect fuel mileage will increase also.
> ==========
> reply
>
> the New Z06 doesn't need an exhaust mod.
>
> its not like your 06-C6
>
> my2¢
> --
> 'Key
> =====

Careful, you're going to overload his thinking. Not much respect for
someone that advocates disabling the o2 sensor. If you remember he's
the one that berated this group for ever contemplating a speed over 55
and threatened to dive in front of faster traffic in the left lane at
55 MPH. Never under estimate the value of a dyno tune but the first
one should come from the dealer and if he can't do it, find another
dealer. Good record to have and can find an early problem that can be
overlooked by the new car smell, so to speak.

Plus there is little evidence that running it cooler does anything for
performance let alone gas mileage. Also very doubtful he had his dyno
tuned and has any proof it runs smoother or has any horsepower gain,
response. If he had he would have said he got 19 more horses by the
tune, or .2 which may be closer.... The biggest advantage of a dyno
tune is bragging rights or a base to work from for future problems.
Messing with Federal exhaust mandates is not something legitimate
shops will do, to expensive and lost work from jail time can result.

--
Dad - I can't drive 55 - well maybe in the driveway
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 12th 08, 11:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Ken[_9_]

On Aug 11, 6:20*pm, "Uncle_vito" > wrote:
> No offense, but you buy a $70,000 car and then start taking stuff apart like
> GM engineers are stupid?
>
> Amazing..
>
> Vito

text -

Because DILV's a f**kin' idiot
Old August 13th 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Spud

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> No offense, but you buy a $70,000 car and then start taking stuff apart
> like GM engineers are stupid?
>
> Amazing..
>
> Vito

Vito,

Ever know someone that anything they own it's the absolute best you can
have? Then after it's gone, be it a car or a wife, they go on and on about
what a piece of **** it was. I was being honest. GM Engineers stupid?
Who said that? Ironic, I watched a show called "Ultimate Factories" "The
Corvette ZO6 on Discovery or some cable channel on a Sunday afternoon. I
was blown away by the engineering in this car. The 275 lb. aluminum
chassis. The robotic applied paint and clean room. The fact that it's the
only car in it's class not hit with the gas guzzler tax, etc. Monday
morning I was over at the Chevy dealer buying the car.

This is my second Vette. It's my dream car. I wanted a Vette since my Boy
Scout Master gave me a ride in his when I was 10 years old. And now I can
afford to own the fastest one they've ever built (not counting the ZR-1 that
is not really a production car.). I ain't knockin' the car.

Oh, and BTW, it's a $77,790 car. Don't cheapen my ride!

Ed

Old August 13th 08, 10:19 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "'Key" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> > wrote in message
>>

>> Sounds like an awesome car overall. Id consider getting
>> it
>> DynoTuned which will include optimizing air/fuel ratios ,
>> eliminating
>> 1-4 shift, disable o2 sensor so you can update the
>> exhaust if you
>> like, have the radiator fan start ramping up sooner (and
>> max. speed
>> sooner) for a cooler running motor , as well as a few
>> other goodies.
>> I had my 2006 C6 done recently and its smoother running
>> and more
>> responsive. I suspect fuel mileage will increase also.
>> ==========
>> reply
>>
>> the New Z06 doesn't need an exhaust mod.
>>
>> its not like your 06-C6
>>
>> my2¢
>> --
>> 'Key
>> =====
>>

> Careful, you're going to overload his thinking. Not much
> respect for someone that advocates disabling the o2
> sensor. If you remember he's the one that berated this
> group for ever contemplating a speed over 55 and
> threatened to dive in front of faster traffic in the left
> lane at 55 MPH. Never under estimate the value of a dyno
> tune but the first one should come from the dealer and if
> he can't do it, find another dealer. Good record to have
> and can find an early problem that can be overlooked by
> the new car smell, so to speak.
>
> Plus there is little evidence that running it cooler does
> anything for performance let alone gas mileage. Also very
> doubtful he had his dyno tuned and has any proof it runs
> smoother or has any horsepower gain, response. If he had
> he would have said he got 19 more horses by the tune, or
> .2 which may be closer.... The biggest advantage of a dyno
> tune is bragging rights or a base to work from for future
> problems. Messing with Federal exhaust mandates is not
> something legitimate shops will do, to expensive and lost
> work from jail time can result.
>
> --
> Dad - I can't drive 55 - well maybe in the driveway
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd
> 64 Red/red/white top/4spd Prize winner at all but 1 show
> this year ;-)

well then,
he can continue to drive 55 and waste his expensive, illegal
mods :-)
personally, I can't drive 55 :-)

g'day to you & yours Dad
--
'Key
=====

Old August 14th 08, 01:05 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Well congrats on your new ride.

I have a 64 327 red convertible bought in 91. I like the newer Vettes but
not enough to stomach the depreciation and the fact that the next year model
will likely be 'better'. I got my license when I was 16 in 1969. The mid
year Vettes were the car to have so that is why I have one.

I also had a 69 L71 I bought in 1995. Sold it a few years later because
driving the 427 was not fun like driving the 327.

Later

Vito