NO oil 1974 coupe.

Old August 27th 08, 03:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
[email protected]

Default NO oil 1974 coupe.

1974 vette, oil pan is full, oil preasure gage reads 40-45 but under
valve covers it is dry ?. If anyone can help please let me know, 350 4
speed. Thanks.

Old August 27th 08, 04:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

> wrote in message
> 1974 vette, oil pan is full, oil preasure gage reads 40-45 but
> under
> valve covers it is dry ?. If anyone can help please let me know,
> 350 4
> speed. Thanks.

Now that you have the valve cover off, take off the other one, then
the carburetor, pull the distributor, and then the manifold and start
cleaning out the valley. It will be a troublesome job and you need to
keep the crap from going down into the crankcase, use a shop vacuum
allot. Remove the push rods and clean them out on the inside. Clean
out the return holes in the heads and then put it back into running
form and start her up. Wouldn't hurt to flush down the heads/tappets
with thin oil just before you shut it down and then drain the oil.

Depending on how much buildup is in the valley you may get real lucky
and remove just the push rods, you can count the turns and back off
the rocker nut, remove the push rod, clean it, replace with the same
number of turns on the nut. The down side to this is if there is a
build up on the lifter you can knock it loose and into the lifter and
bind it up. You can still get that if you take it all apart, just use
some caution either way and don't forget the return holes in the
heads.

Old August 27th 08, 07:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

> wrote in message
> 1974 vette, oil pan is full, oil preasure gage reads 40-45
> but under
> valve covers it is dry ?. If anyone can help please let me
> know, 350 4
> speed. Thanks.

what Dad said...

--
'Key
=====

Old August 27th 08, 09:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
ZÿRiX[_2_]

"'Key" > wrote in message
news
> > wrote in message
>> 1974 vette, oil pan is full, oil preasure gage reads 40-45 but under
>> valve covers it is dry ?. If anyone can help please let me know, 350 4
>> speed. Thanks.
>>

> what Dad said...
>
> --
> 'Key