How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 16th 05, 09:02 PM
Joe Canuck

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>What would you have said to someone so obnoxious? Being nice to these
>>>people just doesn't penetrate.

>>I'm not claiming to be perfect or anything (I'm not by far), but I've found
>>that the more positive you can be in a situation, the more likely you are to
>>get a good response. Is your ultimate goal to let the biker know you're mad
>>at him (you did a good job of that) or to convince him to ride in the bike
>>lane?

> The reason people like this do the things they know are wrong is
> because there are no negative consequences. Being "considerate" and
> "just letting him do it" is what reinforces and perpetulates this bad
> behavior.
>
> OTOH, if every pedestrian to whom he failed to yield were to respond
> by calling him a ****head, he'd quickly change his bad behavior.

....and a few of them would very likely provide you with an "attitude
adjustment" as well.

Someday you will make the wrong remark to the wrong person and really
end up in trouble over it, more trouble than you can handle.

I don't wish this on you, but with your attitude it is just a matter of
time before it happens.
Old May 16th 05, 09:08 PM
Paul

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:21:04 -0700, Scott en Aztl=E1n , said the following=
=20
in rec.autos.driving...=20

<rec.bicycles.misc removed>

> Well, cops who don't know/follow the law are an entirely different
> rant.

Don't get me started on that one, Scott...

Old May 16th 05, 10:54 PM
DD

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:27:18 GMT, "DD"
> > wrote:
>
> >Wow, you sure do spend a lot of time hating, don't you?

> More like getting irritated.

Sorry, I was just responding to your website. You know, the one with the
introduction that reads "This page is going to be about the things I hate"

> >And your numerous
> >photos of trivial (and yes, aggravating) public indiscresions are sad and
> >pathetic. I'm guessing you were the fat kid in the back of class

tattling
> >to the teacher everytime someone passed a note in class.

> Sorry, Hans, wrong guess. Would you like to try for Double Jeopardy?

Sure Alex, I'll take "Who probably doesn't confront anybody but rather
spends way too much time taking and posting pictures and probably works up
enough bile to leave a profane note or two on someones windsheild" for
$500.00. (PS I liked the "Die Hard" reference.)

> >Maybe you could do us a favor and post a list of rules we should be
> >following so that we can avoid your raging wrath?

> Rule #1: Don't be disingenuous.
>
> Everybody has pet peeves. Don't make me out to be some kind of monster
> because I talk about mine. Andy Rooney does it every week and rakes in
> big bucks.

Rule #2: Don't use big words if you don't know what they mean. There was
nothing disingenuous about what I said. Sarcastic, sure, but very sincere,
trust me.

For the record, I agree with you, some people are rude, thoughtless and
self-centered. The difference is I don't feel some weird urge to document
parking violations on a website (speaking of which, do you always have a
camera with you or what?) nor do I usually call a complete stranger a
****head even if they do ring a bell at me. So even though you do a bit
more than just talk about your pet peeves, I don't think you're quite in
monster territory.

As far as the Andy Rooney thing, hang tight, with the looks of what passes
for entertainment on television these days, you just might have your own
show soon enough.

Old May 17th 05, 03:18 AM
Jim Yanik

John David Galt > wrote in
:

> Brent P wrote:
>> Then you should have the cement mixers and other slow motor vehicles
>> use the sidewalk too.

> I certainly expect them to pull over and let me pass at the first
> opportunity. There is nothing wrong with expecting the same of bike
> riders. And unlike cement mixers, they have that opportunity
> continuously if a sidewalk is present.

Most cement trucks and other "slow" motor vehicles still move faster than
the usual bicyclist.And they are more rare than the usual bicyclist(unless
your route takes you past the cement plant).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 17th 05, 03:20 AM
Harry K

GaryG wrote:
> "Jeff Starr" > wrote in message

parking
> spaces

occasionally

leap
> between

dumbass

> > >Now THAT is hilarious!
> > >
> > >You think vandalism is OK, but a harmless little website is a
> > >horrible, terrible, awful thing?
> > >
> > >You pedalcyclists crack me up!!!

> > He keeps the shampoo in his CAR. That has nothing to do with being

> > "pedalcyclist".
> > I thought you claimed to ride a bicycle, so I guess that makes you

> > "pedalcyclist" too. But of course you are nothing like those of us

who
> > post on rec.bicycle.misc. Apparently you are above us, somehow. So
> > very superior.
> >
> > I personally think you put way too much effort into the petty

little
> > occurrences that are a part of everyday life.
> >
> > I do have one pet peeve, these days. It is inconsiderate people on
> > cell phones. Whether it be in cars, stores, or walking along on the
> > sidewalk. It is distracting enough, that people become at a minimum
> > inconsiderate and at worst dangerous. Maybe you should post a

picture
> > of your wife, being distracted and therefore inconsiderate.
> >
> > Gary, dumping anything on peoples cars is just plain wrong, and an
> > over reaction. If it bothers you that much, leave a note. Maybe

they
> > are just dumb, not intentionally inconsiderate. Try to educate

them,
> > take the positive route.

> FWIW, I've only used it on a couple of occasions, on vehicles that

were very
> obviously cross-parked intentionally in crowded lots (i.e., not on

cars a
> bit over the line, or cars cross-parked where there's plenty of

spaces
> available). With those folks, it's not an issue of education, but

behavior
> modification. I only apply about a teaspoon of shampoo, squirted

onto the
> windshield. Presumably the cross-parker will notice it when they get

back
> to their car, turn on their windshield wipers, and then have a moment

of
> karmic irritation as they have to deal with it foaming up. The

shampoo
> container fits easily in my pocket, and it's a much quicker and more
> assertive form of "speech" than writing a note (which would probably

be
> laughed off and thrown on the ground anyway).
>
> GG
>

> > Life is Good!
> > Jeff

So please explain how dumping soap on a windshield has educated
someone. Are they somehow to -guess- that is why you did it?? Sorry
but that type of action is totally moronic as well as being vandalism.
As someone else said, if you want to educate them, explain the nature
of their transgression.

Harry K

Old May 17th 05, 03:22 AM
Jim Yanik

John David Galt > wrote in
:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> Classic car supremacist thinking. Never mind the known dangers of
>> sidewalk riding, forget the slower and more dangerous journeys for
>> cyclists. As long as the Almighty Car is never inconvenienced, that
>> is all that matters.

Well,that IS why the roads are there.

> That's the classic asshole-biker argument, the bike equivalent of
> "playing the race card". Bikers need to be taught -- hopefully not the
> hard way -- that the universal moral principle that slower traffic must
> give way to faster, includes them.

They should also consider what happens in a auto-bike collision,and who the
bigger loser ends up to be,regardless of intentional or unintended.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 17th 05, 03:24 AM
Jim Yanik

"Bill Sornson" > wrote in
:

> (Similarly, the vast majority of cyclists are considerate of and
> cooperative with motorists;

"vast majority";HA,what BS.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old May 17th 05, 03:54 AM
Bill Sornson

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" > wrote in
> :
>

>> (Similarly, the vast majority of cyclists are considerate of and
>> cooperative with motorists;

> "vast majority";HA,what BS.

You yanking us, Yanik? Why would cyclists NOT want to coexist peacefully
with motorists?!? You think people want to get hit, run over, run off the
road, etc???

It's called self preservation (as well as manners, courtesy, good will)...

BS What