Is this compressor strong enought to spray rusprooting

Old March 12th 05, 03:48 AM
Frank

Default Is this compressor strong enought to spray rusprooting

I have learned to trust the advice of the people that comes here
and while not specifically car related, this is still somewhat
related to cars.

I am looking to purchase an air compressor to do odd jobs around
the house. The worst (i.e. most intensive) job I can think of
will be to spray some liquid oil-based rust proofing once in a
while, as well as some oil-based stain. Both are relatively
thicker then water, but very fluid nevertheless.

What should I look for in terms of power in a air compressor? I
do not want to pay too much. I found this model and would like
your advice. Will this be strong and powerful enough? I also
found a 1 1/2 HP 2 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

2HP Airco Compressor. Specs:

a.. 2 hp Twin Tank Compressor
a.. 2 hp - 4 gallon -2 x 2 gal. stacked tanks
a.. Oil lubricated for durability and long life- triple the pump
life of comparable oil-free compressors
a.. Extremely quiet operation
a.. Rubber grip carry handle
a.. Includes air line regulator & gauge- allows setting exact
line pressure
a.. Quick-connect air line fitting
a.. Tough powder coated finish
a.. 115 volt, 60 hz, 13.8 amps
a.. 3400 rpm
a.. 5 cfm @ 90 psi
a.. Maximum pressu 115 psi

Old March 12th 05, 07:25 AM
« Paul »

Frank wrote:

> I have learned to trust the advice of the people that comes here
> and while not specifically car related, this is still somewhat
> related to cars.
>
> I am looking to purchase an air compressor to do odd jobs around
> the house. The worst (i.e. most intensive) job I can think of
> will be to spray some liquid oil-based rust proofing once in a
> while, as well as some oil-based stain. Both are relatively
> thicker then water, but very fluid nevertheless.
>
> What should I look for in terms of power in a air compressor? I
> do not want to pay too much. I found this model and would like
> your advice. Will this be strong and powerful enough? I also
> found a 1 1/2 HP 2 gallons.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> 2HP Airco Compressor. Specs:
>
> a.. 2 hp Twin Tank Compressor
> a.. 2 hp - 4 gallon -2 x 2 gal. stacked tanks
> a.. Oil lubricated for durability and long life- triple the pump
> life of comparable oil-free compressors

> a.. 115 volt, 60 hz, 13.8 amps
> a.. 3400 rpm
> a.. 5 cfm @ 90 psi
> a.. Maximum pressu 115 psi

For anything much thicker than water I would use an airless
electric sprayer. Be extra careful of using air with anything flammable
or combustible. Vaporizing a Class 3 oil is not good.
IMO, 5 cfm is the bare minimum and mostly suitable for things like
blowing up air mattresses, etc.
Most good air sprayers, impacts, etc., will use 5-10 cfm at 90-110 psi.
3+ hp, 15 cfm, 30 gallons would be better suited to your needs.
That usually means 220 volts.
Old March 12th 05, 01:19 PM
Frank

"« Paul »" > wrote in
message ...
> Frank wrote:
>>
>> I have learned to trust the advice of the people that comes
>> here
>> and while not specifically car related, this is still somewhat
>> related to cars.
>>
>> I am looking to purchase an air compressor to do odd jobs
>> around
>> the house. The worst (i.e. most intensive) job I can think of
>> will be to spray some liquid oil-based rust proofing once in a
>> while, as well as some oil-based stain. Both are relatively
>> thicker then water, but very fluid nevertheless.
>>
>> What should I look for in terms of power in a air compressor?
>> do not want to pay too much. I found this model and would like
>> your advice. Will this be strong and powerful enough? I also
>> found a 1 1/2 HP 2 gallons.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> 2HP Airco Compressor. Specs:
>>
>> a.. 2 hp Twin Tank Compressor
>> a.. 2 hp - 4 gallon -2 x 2 gal. stacked tanks
>> a.. Oil lubricated for durability and long life- triple the
>> pump
>> life of comparable oil-free compressors

>> a.. 115 volt, 60 hz, 13.8 amps
>> a.. 3400 rpm
>> a.. 5 cfm @ 90 psi
>> a.. Maximum pressu 115 psi

> For anything much thicker than water I would use an airless
> electric sprayer. Be extra careful of using air with anything
> flammable
> or combustible. Vaporizing a Class 3 oil is not good.
> IMO, 5 cfm is the bare minimum and mostly suitable for things
> like
> blowing up air mattresses, etc.
> Most good air sprayers, impacts, etc., will use 5-10 cfm at
> 90-110 psi.
> 3+ hp, 15 cfm, 30 gallons would be better suited to your needs.
> That usually means 220 volts.

Thanks. Much appreciated! As you can seen, I know nada on air
compressor.
I will look int electric sprayer then...

Old March 12th 05, 05:14 PM
Denny B

Don't waste your money on an airless compressor.

http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index
Go to this link above to learn all you will ever want to know about
compressors. What type, what size, airless, non airless, what
undercoatring.

Study the questions and answers and POST your own questions.
I sprayed my own vehicle from studying this site.

You need an AIR COMPRESSOR and a HVLP spray gun
80% of whatever liquid you are using will go on the job
and NOT into the air.

Denny B

Old March 14th 05, 12:52 PM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"« Paul »" <" > wrote in message
> Frank wrote:
> >

> For anything much thicker than water I would use an airless
> electric sprayer.

I painted my fathers house once with an airless sprayer. (oil based
stain, actually) Never again. By the time I was done my arm was
about ready to fall off. A half gallon of paint or stain weighs a ton
when you have been holding it up for a while. The only way to
really paint is with a paint pot and an air compressor.

Ted

Old March 14th 05, 05:39 PM
« Paul »

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> =

> "=AB Paul =BB" <" > wrote in message
> > Frank wrote:
> > >

> > For anything much thicker than water I would use an airless
> > electric sprayer.

> =

> I painted my fathers house once with an airless sprayer. (oil based
> stain, actually) Never again. By the time I was done my arm was
> about ready to fall off. A half gallon of paint or stain weighs a ton
> when you have been holding it up for a while. The only way to
> really paint is with a paint pot and an air compressor.
> =

> Ted

Yes. That would not be easy.
Actually, I was thinking more like a small Wagner airless for $200.
It sits on the ground and a hose runs to the spray head.
Nearly all of the house painters that I have observed where I live
use some type of airless sprayer. Few use air anymore, probably =

because of the overspray getting on cars, & furniture, etc.
Old March 15th 05, 03:33 AM
Denny B

You are correct house painters do use
airless sprayers.
You can NEVER use an airless sprayer to
spray a car. 20 years ago I used an airless
sprayer to spray my car. After spraying the car
I then spent 3 days with an electric sander, sanding
the mess off and started over. A airless sprayer
cannot atomize paint to spray a car or fine furniture.
An airless sprayer is for rough work. Spraying paint
on walls inside a house is rough work. You can put
paint on walls with a paint roller. You can't paint a car
with a roller. You can't finish fine furniture with a roller.

If you have space for it an air compressor is one of the
most useful tools you can own.

Denny B

Old March 15th 05, 04:48 AM
« Paul »

Denny B wrote:

> You are correct house painters do use
> airless sprayers.
> You can NEVER use an airless sprayer to
> spray a car.

Yes. I completely agree. .. What a mess.
The original post was not about painting cars though.
It was about spraying "liquid oil-based rust proofing once
Old March 15th 05, 04:59 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 03:48:02 GMT, "« Paul »" <"
> wrote:

>Denny B wrote:
>>
>> You are correct house painters do use
>> airless sprayers.
>> You can NEVER use an airless sprayer to
>> spray a car.

>Yes. I completely agree. .. What a mess.
>The original post was not about painting cars though.
>It was about spraying "liquid oil-based rust proofing once
>in awhile, as well as some oil-based stain. Both are relatively
>thicker then water, but very fluid nevertheless."

After a summer of spray painting my house with both technologies (
airless and air ) I can make some observations.

Airless puts it on THICK. You can apply high-viscosity material in a
short amount of time with airless.

Pneumatic needs a thinned material, low viscosity, or it will run. I
keep a very big piece of plywood around for a testing area so I know
what my pattern is going to look like and how the gun will atomize.

Pneumatic won the day. It uses very little material and does a great
job of getting into every nook and cranny, missing nothing, and
doesn't go on so thickly that it can run in rivulets down the surface
of what you're spraying. If done correctly, there is very little
material lost, and the job it does is way more aesthetically pleasing
than airless.

I will use Pneumatic for painting any day of the week over airless,
unless I had a huge area to paint, like a BARN, and then I am going to
use a commercial-grade airless that has a 5 or 10 gallon tank, the
bigger the better.

For something small like a car, air is the way to go.

Lg

Old March 15th 05, 05:04 AM
Denny B

The original post was not about painting cars though.
> It was about spraying "liquid oil-based rust proofing once
> in awhile, as well as some oil-based stain.

Yes you absolutely correct.

To stop rust, first grind, sand or whatever
the surface rust. Then apply Picklex to convert
the rust, then spray on Zero Rust.

http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

Check this above link for these products, and all the
necessary info regarding them.

Denny B