P.A.T.S. anti theft on 98 Explorer?

Old January 11th 05, 03:34 PM
Red

Default P.A.T.S. anti theft on 98 Explorer?

I've been told that some 98's were equipped with a Passive AntiTheft
System which requires any new keys to be programmed, sorta like
programming a new remote button. How can you tell if your vehicle has
the PATS system? I got only one key with my used Explorer. The black
plastic head is marked FORD in an oval and there is an "S" stamped on
the key shank. It sounds like it's going to be expensive to get a
second one made. If you already have 2 working keys, you can program
another one by yourself, but with only one key, it looks like I'm
hosed!

Any other options?
Thanks!
RED

Old January 11th 05, 03:54 PM
Teleplus Gatineau

$75 bucks! I already went through it. Good luck and have fun.

Andy
oups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 04:52 PM
Red

How do I tell for sure that I have the PATS installed on my vehicle?
Does my description of the key prove it?

RED

Old January 11th 05, 05:21 PM
Hairy

"Red" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've been told that some 98's were equipped with a Passive AntiTheft
> System which requires any new keys to be programmed, sorta like
> programming a new remote button. How can you tell if your vehicle has
> the PATS system? I got only one key with my used Explorer. The black
> plastic head is marked FORD in an oval and there is an "S" stamped on
> the key shank. It sounds like it's going to be expensive to get a
> second one made. If you already have 2 working keys, you can program
> another one by yourself, but with only one key, it looks like I'm
> hosed!
>
> Any other options?

Try the link below.
http://www.ocls.com/news.htm

It looks like you have the Pats 2 and are screwed if you only have one key.
My advice would be to call every Ford, Merc, Lincoln dealer within a
reasonable driving distance and get their price. When I needed a key for my
01, my local dealer wanted $75. The dealer 20 miles to the west only wanted
$35.

Old January 11th 05, 06:51 PM
sehaare

I'm 99% sure that all 98 were PATS mine is and it cost me $50 for a second
key.

HTH
Steve

oups.com...

Old January 11th 05, 10:20 PM
Scott Van Nest

I purchased two PATS keys off EBAY for $20. then paid the dealership to
program them. I was only charged $50 for two keys. Then you'd have three
keys for the same money.

Scott

Old January 18th 05, 07:33 PM
Silverbirdflyer

Hey Red,
When I bought my 98 Explorer I had two keys come with it. Once I frogot my
other key in the house and retrieved the "spare" and it would NOT start my
truck. I thought there was a problem with the truck but when I got my
other key it cranked right up. If you do have a key made be sure to check
it before you leave from where you get it. It probably will NOT start your
truck but you can sit in your truck ALLDAY LONG... Good Luck!

Old January 29th 05, 06:45 AM
chellwil

when i bought my 98 explorer it came with 1 key no clickers so i bought a
key online at ebay for 5.00 (ford after market) had a locksmith cut it for
5.00 then had ford program it .see if you buy the key and program at ford
its 80.00 for key and 80.00 to program.i bought clickers on ebay, set of 2
for 10.00 programed my self.