2000 Grand Caravan

Old October 8th 04, 02:28 PM
maxpower

Default 2000 Grand Caravan

Interesting!! If the oil pan rusted out from the outside in, then im sure
the pan was beatin up causing the paint to chip away thus causing rust, if
it rusted from the inside out!!! impossible.... If the pan did rust from the
outside in.... somewhere, somehow this vehicle lacks serious maintenance!!!
wouldnt you see the rust and repair the pan before it got to this point?? I
believe there is more to this story then what is being told...... I cant see
any assisstance from Chrysler or any other manufacuter helping out
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
"Plasticman" > wrote in message
.. .
> I had a critical failure in my 2000 GC last week. The oil pan seems to

have
> rusted through, and drained out all the oil. The big issue is that I was
> going 85 km/h when it happened. This thing is 58 months old, and was in

for
> a service and oil change to the dealer 2 months ago.
>
> best bet it seems is a remanufactured engine. Is this a common problem?
> Should the dealer take the responsibility since it was only a couple of
> months agio that they had it last? I can see the trail of oil now that

there

Old October 8th 04, 02:28 PM
maxpower

Old October 12th 04, 12:54 AM
Plasticman

Interesting indeed,

If you are having the dealer do tyhe oil service on it, shouldn't they be
spotting it, noting it, and trying to seel me the replacement part? This is
what really burns me. I'm not a gearhead, so i'm not up under my cars on a
monthly basis. I pay good money for their service work. I do it because I
expect a level of service. Maybe Glenn, you provide that level, but my
local sure didn't.

GJ

Old October 12th 04, 12:54 AM
Plasticman

Old October 12th 04, 04:08 AM
Mark

My '97 3.3 w/ 87k on it has a lot of rust on the pan as well. It's way more
than surface rust - so I have to believe its a steel formulation problem.
Crawling under my vehicle to inspect my oil pan for rock chips is not my
idea of routine maintenance unless of course it was made in China ? ! If it
rusts through, that will be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Old October 12th 04, 04:08 AM
Mark

Old October 15th 04, 01:23 AM
Gary

I have 2000 GC and they salt the roads up here like crazy. My pan still
looks new after a quick wipe with varsol after I change the oil.

I can not imagine a pan rusting through unless it was soaking in acid. Are
the pans not galvanized anyway, I don't think I have ever seen a rusty pan,
and I've done a lot of back yard mechanics in my time.

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
> > "Plasticman" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> >
> >>I had a critical failure in my 2000 GC last week. The oil pan seems to

> > have
> >
> >>rusted through, and drained out all the oil. The big issue is that I

was
> >>going 85 km/h when it happened. This thing is 58 months old, and was in

> > for
> >
> >>a service and oil change to the dealer 2 months ago.
> >>
> >>best bet it seems is a remanufactured engine. Is this a common problem?

> > I don't know how common it is in all areas but people have posted about

it
> > before in this forum.
> >
> > I've never heard of such a thing out here where I live from anyone.

But, we

Old October 15th 04, 01:23 AM
Gary