89 Suburban Catalitic Converter Help..

Old December 27th 04, 09:34 PM
John

Default 89 Suburban Catalitic Converter Help..

Hi..
A suggestion from this board said to look at the catalitic converter causing
low power in my Suburban.
The cat was clogged up and I bought a new one.
I know this is a dumb question for the techs but the old one will not come
off.
It's loose after taking off the clamp but will not slide off the exhaust
pipe. I t acts as though is is being stopped by soomething from sliding off
the exhaust pipe.
Everything else came apart easily for replacement.
If anyone could suggest something I would appreciate it. So far have
installed a new speed cable and other small things. I am new to doing
maintenance but I am learning alot. Thanks in advance. John

Old December 28th 04, 12:22 AM
KENG

Was it clamped on with a Muffler clamp?
If so, is the Pipe over the Converter inlet, or is the pipe in the
Converter inlet?
If it was over the Converter inlet, then cut the inlet, the split the
inlet with a chisel and remove it, then get an exhaust pipe expander and
use it to reset the pipe diameter at the point where it was collapsed by
the clamp.
If it was inside the Converter inlet, just leave off the cut the inlet
part off, then split the inlet and peel it off.