What about GPL? - Newb

Old December 29th 05, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default What about GPL? - Newb

"Tango" > wrote in message
. 10...
> hi,
> i have the original boxed copy and it says minimum spec pc should be
> pentium 166 with 32mb of mem and gfx card with 2mb of mem !! to get the
> best i say at least 1 gig cpu with 512 mem and 64/128 gfx. the last
> patches for the game introduced direct 3d support which allowed
> everybody to upgrade their pc without having to keep their 3dfx card.
> also force feedback came in with the second(?) patch and the final patch
> also removed the cd protection. go here.....
> http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239
>
> and download the 2004 demo which features updated cars and a updated
> watkins glen circuit. the tracks featured are fantastic(especially
> zandvoort,nurburgring and spa) and now with 1965 and 69 mods the passion
> still doesnt look like fading just yet. probably the greatest sim
> released which still after all these years can give the latest sims a
> run for there money.
> enjoy demo,buy full game and rejoice in the fact that gpl is alive and
> well.
> Tango

Thanks - I don't have a problem with the PC, just curious since specs were
so low.

I actually have a "retro" PC with a 3Dfx Voodoo 4500 graphics card in it for
older glide games (like Red Baron 3D, Jane's Longbow 2, Jane's F-15, Descent
II). While I don't play those much any more, there's always that itch to do
so, and I can have one hell of a time trying to get those older games
working right in Windows XP with current hardware.

Old December 29th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In article >, "HockeyTownUSA" <magma
at comcast dot net> says...

> I actually have a "retro" PC with a 3Dfx Voodoo 4500 graphics card in it for
> older glide games (like Red Baron 3D, Jane's Longbow 2, Jane's F-15, Descent
> II). While I don't play those much any more, there's always that itch to do
> so, and I can have one hell of a time trying to get those older games
> working right in Windows XP with current hardware.

That shouldn't be a problem with GPL. It works fine on new hardware
with XP.
--
Yippee38
Old December 29th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In article >, "HockeyTownUSA" <magma
at comcast dot net> says...

> "Tango" > wrote in message
> . 10...
> > hi,
> > i have the original boxed copy and it says minimum spec pc should be
> > pentium 166 with 32mb of mem and gfx card with 2mb of mem !! to get the
> > best i say at least 1 gig cpu with 512 mem and 64/128 gfx. the last
> > patches for the game introduced direct 3d support which allowed
> > everybody to upgrade their pc without having to keep their 3dfx card.
> > also force feedback came in with the second(?) patch and the final patch
> > also removed the cd protection. go here.....
> > http://www.bhmotorsports.com/GPL/downloads/3239
> >
> > and download the 2004 demo which features updated cars and a updated
> > watkins glen circuit. the tracks featured are fantastic(especially
> > zandvoort,nurburgring and spa) and now with 1965 and 69 mods the passion
> > still doesnt look like fading just yet. probably the greatest sim
> > released which still after all these years can give the latest sims a
> > run for there money.
> > enjoy demo,buy full game and rejoice in the fact that gpl is alive and
> > well.
> > Tango

> Thanks - I don't have a problem with the PC, just curious since specs were
> so low.
>
> I actually have a "retro" PC with a 3Dfx Voodoo 4500 graphics card in it for
> older glide games (like Red Baron 3D, Jane's Longbow 2, Jane's F-15, Descent
> II). While I don't play those much any more, there's always that itch to do
> so, and I can have one hell of a time trying to get those older games
> working right in Windows XP with current hardware.

Also, not sure of your cpu but there was a cpufix for GPL which was
required to remove timing errors once your processor speed got above
something like 1.3Mhz

--
Pete Ives
Old December 29th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Also, not sure of your cpu but there was a cpufix for GPL which was
> required to remove timing errors once your processor speed got above
> something like 1.3Mhz

CPU fix is included in the "2004 demo".

Old December 30th 05, 12:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma at comcast dot net> writes:

> Sorry, somehow this sent before I was done, see below:
>
> "HockeyTownUSA" <magma at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> > I've been a combat flight simulation nut for many many years (Jane's,
> > Falcon 4, Flanker, Lock-On, etc), and tinker with driving sims from time
> > to time. Although I admit I like the arcadish games like Need For Speed, I
> > have tinkered with GTR for PC and Forza for XBOX and like the "realism"
> > that has to be mastered.
> >
> > I've heard throughout the years about GPL (Grand-Prix Legends?) but never
> > bothered much with it. Well, with as much fun as I've been having with
> > Need For Speed Most Wanted, I'd like to see what this classic is all
> > about.
> >
> > First of all, what to look for in a copy? I find many copies like this on
> > eBay:
> >

> http://tinyurl.com/bweph
>
> It says it requires a 486 66MHz or faster PC. Is this the right game? Has
> this thing lasted the test of time for that long? Has it been updated to
> look great on today's hardware? What makes this game so special?
>
> Thanks for anyone that can shed light on this.

It really takes nothing more than a slow old PC like that to do some
amazing online racing. It's very hard to learn to drive fast, but
rewarding!

Download the demo try it out. It has some flaws (low ride heights
e.g. mostly solved in newest version), but it's still very fun to
drive.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 30th 05, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

IF you search for a post from me, about a week before Xmas, you will find a
guide that will walk you through updating the "original" gpl install, to a
pretty damn nice looking sim, IF YOU HAVE enough GFX horsepower...
http://adc.speedgeezers.com/gplhtml/GPLInstallAnd65Mod this website has
info on original game install and updating the gfx, then and installing the
65 cars (less HP and some handling tweaks, you will like it much more than
the 67 cars the orignal game is based on)

also see this link http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=236138

They did come out with the 69mod, and there was another "guide (which by now
might be at same site?) which was, I guess the 1st year cars had wings on
all mfg's? pretty dam good mod, even can run without wings it drives better
again than the 67 originals. The origianal was known to have a couple
shortcomings with physics, but since it had been several years since it was
released and many had spent hours, well the "mod" community prety much
agreed to leave the original install physics alone totally, but as I said in
the 2 mods that are out, they tweaked this problem (as I refer to it) the
cars dont feel quite as much like they are on ice.

There is a DEMO that came out, I think was GPL2003demo? this is the one you
need to download anyhow to see if you like it, not the original demo (unless
you find you are nostalgic, heheee)

(((Ok I found it, and repost my post inside here))))

Best dang guide maybe the only one, but by god has links to the files they
talk about (BIG!!! plus) Half the time I find a page with help, by the time
I find the file I have closed the browser with the guides (not just GPL
stuff but damn near all projects) and by the time you find all the files you
cant find the "how to" again...

Book mark this page. Fixed me up FINALLY.

http://adc.speedgeezers.com/gplhtml/GPLInstallAnd65Mod

THANKYOU THANK you!

Tango enlightened us with:
> hi,
> yeah it did have cd protection but everybody used the nocd patch
> which even worked for racing online !!

Im not sure, but I think That is NOT true, however one of the updates, takes
care or gets rid of the need for the CDrom to be in the drive.

Old December 30th 05, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Hocky,

your own description, you just might not like GPL, unless you feel you have
the patience to get good. Dont feel bad, I have come to accept that I am
not good, out of something like **** I dont know I guess of 7381 drivers at
GTLrank http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de Im like 5486th fastest... well I havent
counted, there are people rated negative (faser than the baseline fast) lol.
but I enjoy running around the track. You might also...

But if I had one NEW and capable game machine, Id get GTlegends, right now
it is absolutely fun. But I admit I split my 4 hours a week I get to race,
between GPL69mod, GTLegends,

HockeyTownUSA enlightened us with:

Old December 30th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Does it replace the 98' wood tire model? I dont recall if it was Oak or
Pine tires, though it felt hardwoodish coming over Flatz so I'd say Oak

Mitch

Old December 30th 05, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> Hocky,
>
> your own description, you just might not like GPL, unless you feel you
> have the patience to get good. Dont feel bad, I have come to accept that
> I am not good, out of something like **** I dont know I guess of 7381
> drivers at GTLrank http://gplrank.schuerkamp.de Im like 5486th fastest...
> well I havent counted, there are people rated negative (faser than the
> baseline fast) lol. but I enjoy running around the track. You might
> also...
>
> But if I had one NEW and capable game machine, Id get GTlegends, right now
> it is absolutely fun. But I admit I split my 4 hours a week I get to
> race, between GPL69mod, GTLegends,
>
> HockeyTownUSA enlightened us with:
>> I've been a combat flight simulation nut for many many years (Jane's,
>> Falcon 4, Flanker, Lock-On, etc), and tinker with driving sims from
>> time to time. Although I admit I like the arcadish games like Need
>> For Speed, I have tinkered with GTR for PC and Forza for XBOX and
>> like the "realism" that has to be mastered.
>>
>> I've heard throughout the years about GPL (Grand-Prix Legends?) but
>> never bothered much with it. Well, with as much fun as I've been
>> having with Need For Speed Most Wanted, I'd like to see what this
>> classic is all about.
>> First of all, what to look for in a copy? I find many copies like
>> this on eBay:

Thanks.

I have the patience, as I've been involved in the flight simulation
community for some time, and believe me patience is a definite requirement.

I am considering GT Legends right now. Will try the demo and see how I fare.

Old December 30th 05, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Email me or add me to Yahoo messenger if you eve need to (stingre) at yahoo
remove braces..

GTL takes a semi hefty machine, I have an EARLY 2.4 ghz machine (sub 500mhz
bus stuff) with Geforce 6600GT (128 meg version though) and it is staggering
how much the framerates are at low end (17) with the whole game, the DEMO
was flawless but was one track and about 6 cars... one "challenge" in
career is 24 other AI cars... it can be a bit slow.

GPL is winning mor eof my time as of late since I typed my last message I
reflected, I havent completed a challenge race in 2 weeks yet, because of
GPL right now, trying to get the hang of Nuremburg (spelling im sure is
off)... Im only 10 minutes per lap slower than the "standard" time LOL