How dumb are drivers?

Old August 14th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default How dumb are drivers?

How dumb are drivers? Very, it appears.

FloydR
--------------------
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lgating14.html
Anti-tailgating strategy backfires on Interstate 5

The Associated Press

LACEY, Wash. - An anti-tailgating strategy on Interstate 5 backfired in the
form of unexpected traffic jams, state transportation officials have
discovered.

Officials from the state Transportation Department and Washington State
Patrol planned to meet today to reassess the $35,000 Two Dots To Safety
pilot program on a two-mile stretch of the freeway north of this Thurston
County town. Similar programs are in use in Maryland, Minnesota and
Pennsylvania.

Road crews painted dots 80 feet apart and posted signs telling drivers to
stay at least two dots - 160 feet - from the vehicle ahead, based on the
traffic safety principle of being at least two seconds behind another
vehicle when going 60 mph.

Long backups developed Saturday, the day after the program began, when
drivers slowed down because of heavy traffic and continued to maintain the
two-dot separation, although that much distance was not necessary at slower
speeds, said Lisa Mordock, a Transportation Department spokeswoman.

Road crews covered the signs later Saturday pending reconsideration of the
program, including the wording on the signs, Mordock said.

Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

Old August 14th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Floyd Rogers said
in rec.autos.driving:
> Road crews painted dots 80 feet apart and posted signs telling drivers to
> stay at least two dots - 160 feet - from the vehicle ahead, based on the
> traffic safety principle of being at least two seconds behind another
> vehicle when going 60 mph.

60MPH ~ 88ft/s* therefore, the dots need to be 88ft apart and to be 2
seconds behind the next car, you need to be 176ft behind, not 160ft. Is
the WA SP and DOT trying to cause accidents?

* conversion equation: ft/s = 1.46667*MPH Ref: http://tinyurl.com/zcm4b

--
I diots
N umbskulls &
Old August 14th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

necromancer wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Floyd Rogers said
> in rec.autos.driving:
> > Road crews painted dots 80 feet apart and posted signs telling drivers to
> > stay at least two dots - 160 feet - from the vehicle ahead, based on the
> > traffic safety principle of being at least two seconds behind another
> > vehicle when going 60 mph.

> 60MPH ~ 88ft/s* therefore, the dots need to be 88ft apart and to be 2
> seconds behind the next car, you need to be 176ft behind, not 160ft. Is
> the WA SP and DOT trying to cause accidents?
>
> * conversion equation: ft/s = 1.46667*MPH Ref: http://tinyurl.com/zcm4b
>
> --
> I diots
> N umbskulls &
> S hitheads

Your calculation also shows that the road crews used 10% too much
paint. Tax dollars at work....

Old August 14th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> How dumb are drivers? Very, it appears.
>
> FloydR
> --------------------
> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lgating14.html
> Anti-tailgating strategy backfires on Interstate 5
>
> The Associated Press
>
> LACEY, Wash. - An anti-tailgating strategy on Interstate 5 backfired in the
> form of unexpected traffic jams, state transportation officials have
> discovered.
>
> Officials from the state Transportation Department and Washington State
> Patrol planned to meet today to reassess the $35,000 Two Dots To Safety
> pilot program on a two-mile stretch of the freeway north of this Thurston
> County town. Similar programs are in use in Maryland, Minnesota and
> Pennsylvania.
>
> Road crews painted dots 80 feet apart and posted signs telling drivers to
> stay at least two dots - 160 feet - from the vehicle ahead, based on the
> traffic safety principle of being at least two seconds behind another
> vehicle when going 60 mph.
>
> Long backups developed Saturday, the day after the program began, when
> drivers slowed down because of heavy traffic and continued to maintain the
> two-dot separation, although that much distance was not necessary at slower
> speeds, said Lisa Mordock, a Transportation Department spokeswoman.
>
> Road crews covered the signs later Saturday pending reconsideration of the
> program, including the wording on the signs, Mordock said.
>
> Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

Still, it's not a bad idea. Tail-gating is a real problem but it's
almost impossible to enforce laws against it. People just have to
learn that the 2 dot suggestion does not apply at say 40 mph.

Old August 15th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
morticide

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Floyd Rogers wrote:
> > How dumb are drivers? Very, it appears.
> >
> > FloydR
> > --------------------
> > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lgating14.html
> > Anti-tailgating strategy backfires on Interstate 5
> >
> > The Associated Press
> >
> > LACEY, Wash. - An anti-tailgating strategy on Interstate 5 backfired in the
> > form of unexpected traffic jams, state transportation officials have
> > discovered.
> >
> > Officials from the state Transportation Department and Washington State
> > Patrol planned to meet today to reassess the $35,000 Two Dots To Safety
> > pilot program on a two-mile stretch of the freeway north of this Thurston
> > County town. Similar programs are in use in Maryland, Minnesota and
> > Pennsylvania.
> >
> > Road crews painted dots 80 feet apart and posted signs telling drivers to
> > stay at least two dots - 160 feet - from the vehicle ahead, based on the
> > traffic safety principle of being at least two seconds behind another
> > vehicle when going 60 mph.
> >
> > Long backups developed Saturday, the day after the program began, when
> > drivers slowed down because of heavy traffic and continued to maintain the
> > two-dot separation, although that much distance was not necessary at slower
> > speeds, said Lisa Mordock, a Transportation Department spokeswoman.
> >
> > Road crews covered the signs later Saturday pending reconsideration of the
> > program, including the wording on the signs, Mordock said.
> >
> > Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company

> Still, it's not a bad idea. Tail-gating is a real problem but it's
> almost impossible to enforce laws against it. People just have to
> learn that the 2 dot suggestion does not apply at say 40 mph.

I figured you to be one to follow that rule at 30....