Caster bolt source

Old July 10th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Default Caster bolt source

I have a 97 2wd explorer that has a two piece upper control arm on the right
hand side. I need a replacement caster set bolt but cannot obtain one from
the ford dealer. Ford has changed the replacement part design to a one
piece control arm and no longer stocks or manufacturers said bolt or the two
piece arm. Does anyone know of a source for such a thing? If not, it looks
like I'll have to go visit the salvage yards as my only option is to replace
the entire upper control arm for about $400.
Thanks.

Old July 11th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
monkeyboy

Captain Coleman wrote:
>I have a 97 2wd explorer that has a two piece upper control arm on the right
>hand side. I need a replacement caster set bolt but cannot obtain one from
>the ford dealer. Ford has changed the replacement part design to a one
>piece control arm and no longer stocks or manufacturers said bolt or the two
>piece arm. Does anyone know of a source for such a thing? If not, it looks
>like I'll have to go visit the salvage yards as my only option is to replace
>the entire upper control arm for about $400.
>Thanks.

There never was a two piece design. Before 97 they used spindles. And after
upper and lower arms. This is a USA vehicle?
Old July 11th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Captain Coleman

Yes it is a USA vehicle as I am located in central AR. It is a two piece
design, look at ebay and search "explorer control arm" for an example. You
will find pictures with two different looking pieces. The piece on the left
is the half of the passenger side upper control arm.

Old July 12th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Fred 2

I have a '96 Explorer US vehicle and it also has the two piece upper
control arm on the right hand side. My '96 factory service manual also
shows the two-piece design for the right hand side. The two piece
design has an adjustment for "caster split" as mentioned in the
service maual.

Old July 13th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

There is a very real need to check our facts before posting a reply. FWIW,
even after 97 they still used spindles (steering knuckles) but what on earth
does that have to do with the two piece control arm which was only fitted on
the right hand side and put there in order to adjust caster split. This two
piece design upper control arm was fitted to both two and four wheel drive
models though I am unsure if they are interchangeable.

Original poster... I do not recall this bolt ever being serviced separately.
You might check at your local alignment shops to see if someone has had a
right upper ball joint replaced recently and may be able to salvage a bolt
from a customers control arm.

Crank bolt marked. Burt S. Honda 2 November 11th 05 04:22 AM
Crankshaft damper / pulley bolt strategy400 Technology 10 August 17th 05 07:03 AM
Stripped caliper bolt Mike Romain Technology 21 July 15th 05 10:30 PM
88 Prelude Front Shock Fork Bolt Seized [email protected] Technology 0 March 1st 05 08:07 PM
having difficulty removing engine mount bolt Bil Honda 0 October 25th 04 02:04 AM