Ya gotta love California "drivers"

Old July 16th 05, 05:37 AM
The Real Bev

Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> The Real Bev > writes:
>
> >>Amazing that the passenger in the Mustang survived!

> >I see nothing. Is it worth firing up the winmachine?

> It needs WiMP (fortunately, it plays in MacWiMP too).

I know. The question was whether the movie was funny enough to start up the
windows machine to view it.

Apparently not.

--
Cheers, Bev
"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person
Old July 16th 05, 03:16 PM
Harry K

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:04:04 -0700, John David Galt
> > wrote:
>
> >Of course, this situation is marginally less safe than if everyone
> >followed at a safe stopping distance. But the only step in the chain
> >that can sensibly be changed is step 1. So long as that law stands, the
> >possibility of these pileups must be regarded as one of the unavoidable
> >risks of driving on the freeway.

> Except that none of the people in the video were doing "LA Lane
> Changes" or tailgating. The video merely shows a bunch of dumb****s
> who aren't paying attention to what's in front of them.

You have to cut them some slack. How can you expect them to pay
attention to what is happening when they have a phone stuck in their
ear and eyes firmly locked on the trunk of the car in front of them.

Harry K

Old July 16th 05, 07:57 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> Often, they'll be so close, you could hand the other driver a cigarette...

Now THAT will scare California drivers. At least if it's the tobacco
kind.

--Joe

Old July 17th 05, 04:56 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>who aren't paying attention to what's in front of them.

Indeed, it seems that many drivers' field of view ends about one
car length in front of their vehicle.

Drive in the right lane on a lightly traveled freeway (pass on the
left if you encounter slower traffic in the right lane, then return
to the right lane when you are safely past). If a faster vehicle
comes up behind you, it will probably come to tailgating distance
and tailgate you for a while before passing, even though the left
lane was empty the whole time. Or worse, will just tailgate you
forever ("duckling" behavior) unless you actively try to lose it
(by speeding up and/or slowing down).

Timothy J. Lee
Old July 17th 05, 05:18 PM
redleg

Works fine...just slow

Old July 18th 05, 01:04 AM
Kenneth Crudup

In article .com>,
"John S." > says:

>Not surprising given the speed that California traffic moves at and how
>closely the cars are spaced. A trip down the 405 is downright scary at
>the usual 70+ mph.

One, it's rare you get to move at any speed, and please stay out of here
if you think it's "scary"- as you can see, we've got the country's worst
drivers, and we don't need anyone *else* coming here that's any worse!

-Kenny, who's lived in 6 cities and driven in 35 states and
these folks here *can't drive* (but they know how to brake
really well)

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898
Old July 18th 05, 04:10 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:04:27 +0000 (UTC), (Kenneth
Crudup) wrote:

> -Kenny, who's lived in 6 cities and driven in 35 states and
> these folks here *can't drive*

Oh, and I suppose Massholes or Cheeseheads are any better?

Old July 18th 05, 07:47 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
John David Galt > wrote:
>Here's the chain of causation that leads to this situation.

That's assuming much more knowledge, skill, intent, and even willingness
to _knowingly_ take risks (of crashing) on the part of drivers than
actually exists in California.

>1. California law stupidly says that if someone cuts into your lane
>right in front of you, and you hit him anywhere behind the lights, it's
>a "rear ender" and YOU are blamed.

Name the section of the code. Even if it were true, most drivers are
not aware of such intricacies in the law.

>2. A large number of skillful but stupid drivers take advantage of that
>law by performing a maneuver known as the "LA lane change": jam your
>front fender into a 2-3 foot gap between cars in an adjacent lane, then
>just follow it in, thus forcing the driver behind the gap to slam on his
>brakes and let you in.

A more likely reason why someone tries such a thing: the vehicle
behind the too-small gap is in the "LA lane changer's" mirror blind
spot, and the "LA lane changer" doesn't check the blind spot before
changing lanes. Yes, mirrors on many cars can be adjusted to eliminate
car-size blind spots, but few drivers actually do that.

>3. Drivers who fall for the "LA lane change" get it done to them over
>and over again and become "rocks in the stream" of traffic, and are
>rightly regarded as complete idiots and assholes by everyone else.

It really only happens frequently if you drive in the right lane near
heavily used on-ramps and off-ramps.

Timothy J. Lee

The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 02:37 AM
California Emissions for 2000 Ford(49state) HELP! TheSmogTech Technology 0 February 1st 05 12:23 AM
Wed Night N2003 league looking for drivers [email protected] Simulators 0 November 30th 04 03:46 AM