Fast idle problem

Old January 25th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Fast idle problem

Hello,

I have '96 4.0 Explorer Sport 5 speed with a fast idle (1,500 - 2,500)
condition that goes away after you drive the vehicle until it's warm
then shut if off and start it back up. Anyone know what could be the
problem? It has a new IAC valve and 02 sensors. No codes showing.

Thanks for looking,
SMC

Old January 28th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

On my '96 4dr 4.0L ohv automatic, I was having problems with intermittent
high idle after warmup. The problem was caused by a bad engine coolant temp
(ECT) sensor. On my vehicle there are two temp sensors, one feeds the gauge
on the dash, the other (the ECT) feeds the engine computer. Replacing the
ECT fixed the problem.

oups.com...

Old January 28th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll check mine.

Take Care,
SMC

Old February 12th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Changed the ECT & thermostat. Didn't really make a difference. Thanks
for the suggestion though.

SMC