Never Ever a "Delco" (was Head Gaskets)

Old August 16th 05, 01:55 AM
Rich Hampel

Default Never Ever a "Delco" (was Head Gaskets)

My "head gasket problem' is now solved. My 86XJ Cherokee (340K mi) has
a 2.8L . I chose the 2.8L because of good fuel economy on long highway
travel. I was in a 'rush' to rebuild 'last time' so I bought a
re-manufactured "Delco" crate engine - to 'save time'. WHAT a
POS!!!!! I repowered the time before that with a "Goodwrench" crate
engine and had absolutely NO probs, until it simply 'wore out'.

Let me tell you what I got for a 'factory rebuild' "DELCO" 2.8L . Not
only were the head studs not sealed from the cooling loop/water jacket,
but the valve seats were milled almost a 1/4" too deep - the top faces
of the valves were flush with head, the valve guides were OVERSIZED
(not worn). So this freaking 'Delco' was pumping water, hammering the
valves into oblivion, .... couldnt keep a constant intake manifold
vacuum to run a simple vari-jet carburator, etc. etc. etc. etc. No
wonder GM stock is so bad. I think I remember seeing a new GM *car* on
the street last year .... no wonder if they are this bad.

Thanks again for your (correct) opinions on the head gasket problems -
which ultimately lead to a detailed analysis of what turned out to be a
'disaster' - remanufactured *abortion*. I should have originally
simply taken the old block to the local machinst for a 'proper rebuild'
...... and would have saved time AND money in the long run. You can take
NAFTA and CAFTA. and make human popsicles out them ---- gimme the local
guy down on Main Street USA to do good engine rebuild work.

Thanks again to all those who replied my the 'head gasket' questions.
I really appreciated it.

RichH
Old August 16th 05, 02:28 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Next time make the switch to 3.4:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...28-34swap.html
http://www.high-performance-engines.com/engineswap.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 16th 05, 07:27 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

musta been new employee orientation day when they made that one eh? Glad to
hear you figured it out.....