Mitsubishi 3000gt sl question (oversteering)

Old June 15th 05, 01:25 AM

Default Mitsubishi 3000gt sl question (oversteering)

Hey guys,

I have a '93 Mitsubishi 3000gt SL, and I'd like to get your oppinion
about a problem I have with it.

The car oversteers on a right turn. You can really feel it going over
65 mph on the highway. I had all 4 wheels alligned 6 months ago, and it
seemed to help it a little, but not much. Now, 6m later, it's right
back to where it started. It feels like the front driver side wheel
moves a little on its own after the steering wheel reaches a certain
point in the right turn. It's also doing it when i start steering back
to going straight. I thought front side alignment would take care of
this, but it didn't...

If you have any previous experience with something like this, or just
have an oppinion - I'd appreciate it if you share it with me.

Thanx,
Tod

Old June 15th 05, 07:52 AM

This is a tough one.

If you have a bent tie rod, the Ackerman will be off (frontend
alignment while steering), and the car will "dive" into turns. This
won't show up during a regular straight-ahead alignment.

The multilink suspension on the 3KGT has lots of rubber bushings. If
deteriorated, the car will handle unpredictably. It is not an easy or
cheap job to properly inspect them, because you have to disassemble the
suspension.

You can check the tie rods yourself, with a precision straightedge. If
they're okay, you'll have to go over every joint with a critical eye.

Old June 15th 05, 04:21 PM
Tod

Sounds like this is it. I'll check the tie rods, may be put new ones
on. I know i have worn rubber bushings in the suspension on the front
right wheel and it seems like that's the wheel where my oversteering
comes from. It used to make squeaking noises when i got in and out of
the car. I have not heard it in a while though - it somehow stopped on
its own.

Thanks for your help!
Tod