poor shifting

Old May 12th 05, 05:31 AM
Mythic

Default poor shifting

Hey all, when my 97 jeep tj (5spd manual) is cold, it's hard to shift
from 1st to 2nd and vice versa. Once it's warmed up a bit, it shifts
alot easier.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old May 12th 05, 08:29 AM
Steve

I had rough shifting on my AX-15 trans. Switched from API GL-5 oil to
GM Synchromesh. Significant improvement, especially when cold. Also
available as Pennzoil Synchromesh: same as the GM stuff but cheaper:

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/gea...cro_fluid.html

The AX-15 has sintered brass synchros that don't tolerate sulfur in
regular GL-5 90 weight oil. Better to use API GL-3 rated lubes like
Synchromesh or Red Line MTL.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old May 12th 05, 12:33 PM
DougW

Mythic did pass the time by typing:
> Hey all, when my 97 jeep tj (5spd manual) is cold, it's hard to shift
> from 1st to 2nd and vice versa. Once it's warmed up a bit, it shifts
> alot easier.
>
> Any ideas?

Yep, let it warm up.

couldn't resist.

--
DougW

Old May 12th 05, 12:33 PM
Jeep

Mine was doing that and is now at the Tranny shop getting new
syncronizers...warranty can be a wonderful thing...
Jeff

Old May 12th 05, 02:01 PM
Mike Romain

Low gear oil would be my first guess and water inside the second.

The TJ tranny has no high water vent so they easily can get filled with
water if you go too deep.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 12th 05, 04:52 PM
David C. Moller

My '99 was the same... I switched to Redline synthetic and it's been
much better.

Dave

Old May 12th 05, 09:03 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Jeff,
Seeing the Poster's problem was with just two gears, the gears most
effected by not fully disengaging the clutch, I agree with you, he needs
syncros. Now have you learned to match gears?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 13th 05, 01:41 PM
Jeep

well it seems that water was the main cause of mine going bad...now looking
for the best ideas on relocating the vent lines?/ Bill ya got a link for
that??
Jeff

Old May 13th 05, 02:37 PM
Mike Romain

There is the trouble, you don't 'have' a vent line. Jeep decided to
protect every other part of the vehicle except the transmission.

I pulled the stooopid button vent out of mine and tapped in a piece of
steel gas line to make a nipple for the vent line. I used transmission
hose and ran it up by the battery then inverted the top in a cane handle
loop. to make an air lock. Pointed the end down.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 13th 05, 03:14 PM
Greg

As I still haven't done mine, but will, what is the cane loop/air lock
for?