Problem getting Rear rotors off/ door is ajar light?

Old February 11th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Problem getting Rear rotors off/ door is ajar light?

97 ford explorer awd having prob getting rear rotors off..can someone explain how the parking brake system works..can this be effecting me getting the rotors off?..also common problem of one off the door sensors is saying its open ..clue on how to troubleshoot this?

--
essmilin

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-384467.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old February 11th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

essmilin wrote:
> 97 ford explorer awd having prob getting rear rotors off..can someone explain how the parking brake system works..can this be effecting me getting the rotors off?..also common problem of one off the door sensors is saying its open ..clue on how to troubleshoot this?

The parking brake could cause this but 90% chance it will not. I have
removed a lot of them with a little WD 40 or anything like it on the lug
nuts at the rotor base and a big hammer. Rust and a very tight fit make
it difficult to remove. A long bar and hammer worked for me.

Good luck
Old February 11th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

The parking brake is inside what could be considered the drum portion of the
rotor. So if you have your parking brake applied, you will not be able to
turn the rotor or pull it off.

Old February 11th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I would like to add that you might have to turn the star adjuster for
the e-brakes so that the shoes will contract enough to allow you to
take off the rotor easily. I found this out last week when I had to
change a stripped wheel stud.

Old February 12th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Forgot about door ajar problem. Try to identify which door is causing
the problem. With the truck running, open each door,including the
tailgate and liftgate to hear the door ajar chime. If when you open the
door you do not hear the chime, you've located the problem. Try
spraying some WD-40 in the latch mechanism as this is where the door
sensor is.