stripped torx

Old May 21st 05, 10:23 PM
diablo

Default stripped torx

Hi Guys,

i'm sure you've all encountered this problem, and therefore may have a quick
fix or two.

i'm replacing all the hinges, catches, loops and mirrors on a 93 YJ with SS
pieces replacing the original pieces.

took my torx heads and wrench, took one out no problem.

next one ended up stripped..and the next one...managed to get them all back
in til i fix this dilema. i used small movements, wasn't trying to take the
screw out in one go...seems like the metal is so darn soft. obviously i'm
going to be taking out about a dozen plus, so...

any suggestions would be great.

Steve

Old May 21st 05, 11:05 PM
Mythic

diablo wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> i'm sure you've all encountered this problem, and therefore may have a quick
> fix or two.
>
> i'm replacing all the hinges, catches, loops and mirrors on a 93 YJ with SS
> pieces replacing the original pieces.
>
> took my torx heads and wrench, took one out no problem.
>
> next one ended up stripped..and the next one...managed to get them all back
> in til i fix this dilema. i used small movements, wasn't trying to take the
> screw out in one go...seems like the metal is so darn soft. obviously i'm
> going to be taking out about a dozen plus, so...
>
> any suggestions would be great.
>
> Steve

If you have a Dremel, you could 'cut' a slot in them, so you can use a
slotted screw driver.

?
Old May 21st 05, 11:17 PM
wraithyjeep

put torx socket in and strike the back of it with a hammer hard real hard
and firm DON"T MISS.
then with your tool with a forceful jerk it should come out if not get a
bigger hammer hit it harder and spray with some sort of penetrating oil. let
sit then over night then again with the hammer and remove.
I managed to get all but one on my 89 yj out with this method.

if the torx head is stripped bad and useless try pounding in an allan tool
to fit be sure you have done the above pre removal procedures.

if that fails start drilling small size bit to big size right on dead centre
of the bolt.

when putting in the new ones coat them with lithium grease.

good luck

Old May 21st 05, 11:34 PM
Mike Romain

If there is paint on them, the proper sized torx won't usually fit....
One size down 'seems' to fit nice and tight, but the soft paint crushes
and zip, off go the points.

A torch also works well. They have a thread sealer on lots that is heat
activated and it removes the paint.

The ones into the body tub have nuts glued inside so you have to remove
the dash to get the top door hinge off normally. Those you can hold
with the torx and use a wrench on the insides or if you aren't saving
the bolts, you can just drill the heads off with a 3/8 bit and punch the
stems through. You will still need the dash off to get the new nuts
back in there....

A slot with a dremil tool using a fiberglass cutting wheel works for a
place to hit it with a punch or flat head to get it moving.

A few ideas for you...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 22nd 05, 12:25 AM
Nick

Everyone should own a 5 piece reverse drill bits, their cheap. Get a pack
and then hook it up to your electric drill and put it on reverse. The drill
bit will grab and back out your torx bolt. Same with larger bolts. Those
reverse bits are priceless...
Nick

--
http://members.cox.net/nnote/

Old May 22nd 05, 01:24 AM
diablo

And there i was thinking something like this would be an hour job

thanks for your help guys!

Steve

Old May 22nd 05, 12:24 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Steve,
They were put in using an impact driver, that's what takes to get
them started out: http://www.billhughes.com/impactDriver.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 22nd 05, 01:26 AM
Dana Rohleder

As Mike says, they are put on with a heat-activated thread sealer. I tried
the impact wrench method suggested by Bill on my YJ - 5 broken torx sockets
(replaced by NAPA under warranty) and 3 big gouges in my paint later, I gave
up. I managed to get only one bolt out. Luckily, I didn't strip any heads,
just broke the sockets - twisted the mothers right off. The thread sealer is
evil stuff. Heat is likely the only way to get it off, but I don't know how
you would do it and not ruin your paint. Possibly a soldering iron or gun
held right on the head would create enough heat to melt it. You may want to
talk to a Jeep body shop to see how they do it.

Dana
93 YJ
90 XJ Ltd.
---------------
91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
82 Cherokee
76 Cherokee

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
get them out of harm's way." GW Bush -Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005

Old May 22nd 05, 01:47 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Next time buy Craftsman or Snap-On.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 22nd 05, 02:47 AM
mic canic

the left spin drill bits are the best way to if you can get the kit with the
matching extractors but when push comes to shove
take a drill bit that is i/8 inch bigger than the torqs and drill it out carefully
so it just pops thru the hole then there is enough hanging out from what it
holding in.a good and new visegrip can get a bite and with a little heat to
release the lock tight it will come out

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

> Next time buy Craftsman or Snap-On.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Dana Rohleder wrote:
> >
> > As Mike says, they are put on with a heat-activated thread sealer. I tried
> > the impact wrench method suggested by Bill on my YJ - 5 broken torx sockets
> > (replaced by NAPA under warranty) and 3 big gouges in my paint later, I gave
> > up. I managed to get only one bolt out. Luckily, I didn't strip any heads,
> > just broke the sockets - twisted the mothers right off. The thread sealer is
> > evil stuff. Heat is likely the only way to get it off, but I don't know how
> > you would do it and not ruin your paint. Possibly a soldering iron or gun
> > held right on the head would create enough heat to melt it. You may want to
> > talk to a Jeep body shop to see how they do it.
> >
> > Dana
> > 93 YJ
> > 90 XJ Ltd.
> > ---------------
> > 91 Grand Wagoneer Ltd.
> > 82 Cherokee
> > 76 Cherokee
> >
> > "It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
> > get them out of harm's way." GW Bush -Washington, D.C., April 28, 2005
> > "diablo" > wrote in message
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > i'm sure you've all encountered this problem, and therefore may have a
> > > quick
> > > fix or two.
> > >
> > > i'm replacing all the hinges, catches, loops and mirrors on a 93 YJ with
> > > SS
> > > pieces replacing the original pieces.
> > >
> > > took my torx heads and wrench, took one out no problem.
> > >
> > > next one ended up stripped..and the next one...managed to get them all
> > > back
> > > in til i fix this dilema. i used small movements, wasn't trying to take
> > > the
> > > screw out in one go...seems like the metal is so darn soft. obviously i'm
> > > going to be taking out about a dozen plus, so...
> > >
> > > any suggestions would be great.
> > >
> > > Steve

stripped lower door hinge Shawn VW air cooled 6 April 28th 05 03:37 AM
removing stripped spark plug - suggestions? pws Mazda 16 April 18th 05 11:17 PM
Stripped Thread Help Tony Technology 3 December 14th 04 08:16 AM
Stripped Spindle Thread Help Tony 4x4 3 December 13th 04 04:31 AM
Stud stripped on my 1600 cc oil billet cover plate Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 6 November 25th 04 04:03 PM