Neon auto tranny fluid

Old November 2nd 04, 09:53 PM
mike

Default Neon auto tranny fluid

I know this is kind of a brain dead question, but it has been a while
since I have had to worry about this.
What is the standard practice for checking the tranny fluid in an
automatic transmission? I sort of remember something about the car
being at running temp, but that is about it.
Also, is there a specific fluid type that is better then others? (Kind
of like with spark plugs, where NGK or Champions are better then
platnum or other expensive plug types.)

Mike
mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca
Old November 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
Bob Shuman

Only use Mopar approved ATF+4 or ATF+3. The ATF+4 will need to come from
the dealer and is very expensive, the ATF+3 can be purchased at auto parts
stores and comes in a couple different brands at a more reasonable price.
The ATF+4 superceded the older ATF+3 and is a synthetic so is superior in
all aspects. You can verify that only ATF+3 (or the more recent ATF+4) by
checking your owner's manual and the writing on the trans dipstick!
(Warning: do not use Dexron ATF even though the owner's manual may state
using a small amount in an emergency to top off is OK.) Use of any other
fluid will cause poor performance and will likely also cause expensive
damage if not completely flushed.

To check fluid level, read the owner's manual, but as you recall, trans
fluid should be at normal operating temp/hot and with vehicle in park and
idling level should be between marks and near the HOT line.

Changing the fluid and filter is a pain on Chrysler vehicles since there is
no drain plug and they use RTV sealant instead of a traditional gasket. If
you do this yourself, look into the Chrysler re-useable silicon metal
gasket. I've used this on three of my vehicles (I change fluid and filter
every 30-36K miles) and they work very well.

Good luck!

Bob

om...

Old November 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
Bob Shuman

[...]

om...

Old November 2nd 04, 10:34 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, mike wrote:

> I know this is kind of a brain dead question, but it has been a while
> since I have had to worry about this. What is the standard practice for
> checking the tranny fluid in an automatic transmission? I sort of
> remember something about the car being at running temp,

The best method for checking the trans fluid is to drive the car for at
least half an hour, stop on a level surface, leave the engine running, set
the parking brake firmly and put the transmission in Neutral (not Park).
Pull the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert it fully and then pull and check it.

Second preference: Start the car and run the gear selector through each
gear position (except Park) twice, waiting at least a full second between
shifts, and ending in Neutral, then check as above.

> about it. Also, is there a specific fluid type that is better then
> others?

You must use the correct *type* of automatic transmission fluid. Depending
on what year your Neon is, it may or may require ATF+3 or ATF+4. If it
requires ATF+4, you MUST use ATF+4. If it requires ATF+3, you may use
ATF+3, but ATF+4 is better. Under NO circumstances should you use Dexron
or any transmission fluid claimed to be "universal", with or without any
additives -- don't use any additives with your fluid.

DS
Old November 2nd 04, 10:34 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 2nd 04, 10:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Bob Shuman wrote:

> To check fluid level, read the owner's manual, but as you recall, trans
> fluid should be at normal operating temp/hot and with vehicle in park

In NEUTRAL. Not in Park.

Old November 2nd 04, 10:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old November 2nd 04, 11:23 PM
Steve

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Bob Shuman wrote:
>

>>To check fluid level, read the owner's manual, but as you recall, trans
>>fluid should be at normal operating temp/hot and with vehicle in park

> In NEUTRAL. Not in Park.

Lots of the newer automagic FWD trannies specify checking fluid level in
"Park." The 42LE in wifey's 93 LH does, for example.

The dipstick usually says what to do, and if it doesn't the owner's
manual darn sure does!

Old November 2nd 04, 11:23 PM
Steve

Old November 2nd 04, 11:50 PM
Matt Whiting

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> You must use the correct *type* of automatic transmission fluid. Depending
> on what year your Neon is, it may or may require ATF+3 or ATF+4. If it
> requires ATF+4, you MUST use ATF+4. If it requires ATF+3, you may use
> ATF+3, but ATF+4 is better. Under NO circumstances should you use Dexron
> or any transmission fluid claimed to be "universal", with or without any
> additives -- don't use any additives with your fluid.

I wouldn't say NO circumstances. If your transmission is found to be
very low on fluid, using Dexron to get you to a place where you can get
the proper fluid is acceptable, even according to the owner's manual, at
least for my Chryslers. That is the only circumstance where I'd use
other than the proper fluid.

Matt