help with speedo removal

Old May 7th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default help with speedo removal

I am trying to take my cluster out of a 1981 Mustang but cannot get the
speedo cable off it. There is a white plastic piece on the back that I dont
want to break. Cna anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks

David.

Old May 7th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"DM" > wrote in
:

> I am trying to take my cluster out of a 1981 Mustang but cannot get
> the speedo cable off it. There is a white plastic piece on the back
> that I dont want to break. Cna anyone tell me what to do?

You are supposed to squeeze the fitting so that the clip disengages.
Unfortunately, the nylon hardens as it ages. Also, there is very little
room and it's almost impossible to see what you are doing. It's one of the
more frustrating jobs.
Old May 7th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Undo the cable either at the trans or at the speed control sensor (if
equipped) and push some cable through the firewall. This makes the clip much
easier to get to..

Old May 8th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

OK will give it a try..

Old May 8th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

OK, I am giving up. I really want to get to the wiring harness so I can try
to figure yout which wire is for the horn... I can manueuver the Cluster
away so at least I cna see the wires. I dont think I will go any further
with the cluster in case I break it..

Old May 8th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Ermmm.... you don't need to remove the cluster for the horn wiring. IIRC,
this has the horn where you push in on the turn signal lever??? This wiring
should pass down along the lower side of the steering column....

Old May 8th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Yes thats the one... I will take a look..

Thanks Again

Old May 9th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Jim Warman wrote:
> Ermmm.... you don't need to remove the cluster for the horn wiring. IIRC,
> this has the horn where you push in on the turn signal lever??? This wiring
> should pass down along the lower side of the steering column....

Whoever at Ford had that idea, should be shot between the eyes
numerous times....

--
"Be sure you keep your fur free of grit,
or you will have the same trouble all over again." - Kate