2001 Dodge Ram Pinging

Old June 17th 05, 09:08 PM
WD-40

Default 2001 Dodge Ram Pinging

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road package: Engine Pinging
Already use upper clynder cleaner staight into injection system. Has
automatic timing. Can't retard timing. Did full tuneup. Tryed to
install Superchip. Made pinging VERY BAD. 90,000 miles on truck. To
soon for timing chain. Computer should be able to ajust for chain wear.
No head work has been done, so compression should be factory.
Dealership said it is carbon deposits, already cleaned them. Any ideas
where to go from here.
Thanks,
Sean

Old June 17th 05, 09:37 PM
Shep

Is the egr working properly, number 1 cause of engine ping these days.
oups.com...

Old June 17th 05, 09:37 PM
Shep

Is the egr working properly, number 1 cause of engine ping these days.
oups.com...

Old June 17th 05, 11:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, WD-40 wrote:

> 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road package: Engine Pinging

Solution: Proper diagnosis and repair.

> Already use upper clynder cleaner staight into injection system.

What exactly is the "upper cylinder cleaner" you use "straight into the
injection system"?

> Has automatic timing. Can't retard timing.

True. No reason why you would have to.

> Did full tuneup.

With what spark plugs?

> Tryed to install Superchip.

Dumb idea.

> Made pinging VERY BAD.

Yep.

> 90,000 miles on truck. To soon for timing chain. Computer should be able
> to ajust for chain wear.

No, the computer does not "adjust for chain wear".

> Dealership said it is carbon deposits

Entirely possible.

> already cleaned them.

Maybe not.
Old June 18th 05, 02:13 AM
Steve B.

On 17 Jun 2005 13:08:13 -0700, "WD-40" >
wrote:

>2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Off Road package: Engine Pinging
>Already use upper clynder cleaner staight into injection system. Has
>automatic timing. Can't retard timing. Did full tuneup. Tryed to
>install Superchip. Made pinging VERY BAD. 90,000 miles on truck. To
>soon for timing chain. Computer should be able to ajust for chain wear.
>No head work has been done, so compression should be factory.
>Dealership said it is carbon deposits, already cleaned them. Any ideas
>where to go from here.
>Thanks,
>Sean

Which engine? At what speed does it ping?

Could be EGR issues. Could also be a vaccum leak somewhere. Some of
these engines leak around the intake manifold gaskets causing ping.

Steve B.
Old June 19th 05, 04:06 PM
Loren McPherson

Most likely cause is a leaky intake manifold pan gasket. Take off the
air breather assy., open up the throttle and look down. If you see
signs of oil in the bottom of the intake--you need a new gasket. This
requires removal of the manifold. The new gasket is an embossed steel
unit. Then, after reassembly, do an upper end cleaning--this should
take care of the ping.

BTW--another cause for this could be misrouted spark plug wires.