1995 jetta coolent is turning rust color

Old May 9th 05, 06:21 AM
ss17goku

Default 1995 jetta coolent is turning rust color

I have a 1995 V.W. jetta with a 2.0 engine. It just started having some
trouble with it's accelerating today, so when I got home I started to
smell like burning rubber. So I opened the hood to see if a belt came off
or something. When I opened the hood the engine fan was still going even
though I shut the car all the way off, and pulled the key out. Then I
notived smoke comming from the coolant container. So I waited for the car
to cool and checked the coolent, it was low so I put some in it and notice
it was turning a light brown. Then I turned the car on and then the coolent
container started to raise the coolent up, and I noticed that the coolent
started turning more of a rust color and then started to get darker in
color and smoking. so that is when I shut the car off.
So I was just woundering what is wrong with it, could it be the Head
Gasket or something else?

Old May 9th 05, 01:09 PM
Mark Randol

In article <b9b2b36745322c5438bc6faee4079657
@localhost.talkaboutautos.com>, says...
> I have a 1995 V.W. jetta with a 2.0 engine. It just started having some
> trouble with it's accelerating today, so when I got home I started to
> smell like burning rubber. So I opened the hood to see if a belt came off
> or something. When I opened the hood the engine fan was still going even
> though I shut the car all the way off, and pulled the key out. Then I
> notived smoke comming from the coolant container. So I waited for the car
> to cool and checked the coolent, it was low so I put some in it and notice
> it was turning a light brown. Then I turned the car on and then the coolent
> container started to raise the coolent up, and I noticed that the coolent
> started turning more of a rust color and then started to get darker in
> color and smoking. so that is when I shut the car off.
> So I was just woundering what is wrong with it, could it be the Head
> Gasket or something else?

When the engine is hot, the fan is supposed to run for a little while
after you remove the key. That's why you keep stuff out of the fan at
ALL TIMES, unless you've disconnected it or the battery.

Since you didn't say there was anything wrong with any hoses or belts,
there's probably a coolant leak. Common places are the water pump or
the plastic coolant hose fitting on the side of the engine, above the
transmission. Looks for crusty deposits there and around other places
where coolant hoses connect up.

Hopefully the coolant hasn't run so low that the engine seriously
overheated, warping the head. Assuming that it hasn't, the cooling
system needs flushed, the system pressure checked, leaks repaired and
refilled with the proper coolant. While it's all apart, if the hoses
have't been replaced before.

Could have been a problem with the head or gasket, but probably not. At
least not before it overheated.

Also check the fan belt. It connects the electrically driven fan on the
driver's side to the one on the passenger (US).

Where are you at? Want advice on a good mechanic?

Mark
'95 Jetta GLS
Old May 9th 05, 01:36 PM
Nathan Lucas

"ss17goku" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I have a 1995 V.W. jetta with a 2.0 engine. It just started having some
> trouble with it's accelerating today, so when I got home I started to
> smell like burning rubber. So I opened the hood to see if a belt came off
> or something. When I opened the hood the engine fan was still going even
> though I shut the car all the way off, and pulled the key out. Then I
> notived smoke comming from the coolant container. So I waited for the car
> to cool and checked the coolent, it was low so I put some in it and notice
> it was turning a light brown. Then I turned the car on and then the

coolent
> container started to raise the coolent up, and I noticed that the coolent
> started turning more of a rust color and then started to get darker in
> color and smoking. so that is when I shut the car off.
> So I was just woundering what is wrong with it, could it be the Head
> Gasket or something else?

to check for blown head gasket, look for signs of the water and oil
ixing - 'mayonaise' either under the filler cap or on the dipstick. also,
take to a garage and ask them to do a sniff test. this is basically putting
an exhaust emissions sensor into the cooland expansion tank. it will pick
up any exhaust fumes that have found their way thru into the cooling system.

could just be a cooland leak. fill it with water and put the cap on, then
run the engine and look carefully at all the water pipes for any signs of
leakage. you might also find theres white/green/blue crystals around one of
the joins which would indicate a leak. if you find a burst pipe, replace
it. if there is a leak from a join - pull it apart and clean it up then
refit it. run the engine again to check that the leak is fixed.

***never add cold water to a hot engine, as you risk warping the head***

when you've got it leak free, fill with water and add a cup of washing
powder (persil type stuff) and run it for a while (at least 30 minutes).
let it cool, then disconect the top hose from the radiator and flush it both
ways with a hose pipe until the water runs clear. drain and refil with
antifreeze.

Old May 9th 05, 10:09 PM
Woodchuck

If it's a automatic may be trans cooler, if not maybe engine oil cooler if
there is one!

lkaboutautos.com...

Old May 10th 05, 04:54 AM
ss17goku

I don't think it is a coolent leak. It seems like a transmission problem,
because it doesn't have any overdrive, I can only take off slow now. If I
hit the gass hard it just revs up, like it is in nuetral, and if I when I
hit the gas hard, that is when I smell the smell of the burning rubber.

Old May 10th 05, 11:42 AM
CanadianCray

If the coolant is changing color & starting to look red. Your radiator is
leaking internally allowing the coolant & tranny fluid to mix. Replace the
radiator & you may need to replace the tranny & torque converter.

Craig

lkaboutautos.com...

Old May 14th 05, 01:12 PM
One out of many daves

Does it look like this
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/personal/in.../upperhose.jpg

http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/personal/in.../oilcooler.jpg

http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/personal/in...firstflush.jpg

Pictures are from a 98 Audi A4 1.8T engine that had a ruptured oil cooler.
I am currently trying to flush out the cooling system from all of the sticky
gook that is now in there. :-(

Check your oil level to make sure it is not disappearing.
--
later,
dave

.. .

Old May 14th 05, 06:12 PM
HerHusband

> I have a 1995 V.W. jetta with a 2.0 engine. It just started having some
> trouble with it's accelerating today, so when I got home I started to
> smell like burning rubber.
> I noticed smoke comming from the coolant container.
> waited for the car to cool and checked the coolant,
> it was low so I put some in it and notice it was turning a light brown.

My first guess would be a blown head gasket. If coolant leaks into the
combustion chamber, you would typically see white smoke (steam) coming from
the tailpipe. But, you may have a leak between the oil passages and the
coolant passages, allowing oil to mix with the coolant. A compression check
would be a good place to start looking, though it won't necessarily show a
leak between the oil and coolant passages.

Another possibility is the little oil cooler that mounts above the oil
filter on some cars. I don't know if they were installed on your model, but
if so that could be a possible source.

Also, I ran some "environmentally friendly" coolant in my car a few years
back. Within a month or two it started turning a dark brown color. I didn't
notice any cooling problems, but I didn't feel comfortable with the color
change. So, I went back to regular coolant.

Anthony
Old May 14th 05, 07:48 PM
Woodchuck

Dawn dishwater liquid work wonders in cleaning the system out.

m...