71 Autostick Update

Old March 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Default 71 Autostick Update

Went by to talk to my mechanic today. He said I didn't have a
Thermostate and that I didn't need one as it didn't get that cold.
IHe things my over heating could be the RPM being to high. He showed
me how to adjust that which I will do when I get back rfrom a business
trip. And then take it on the road for a test drive.

Old March 19th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

The flaps inside the fan housing have to direct the air flow over the
cylinders. All air deflectors are usually needed, especially the ones
between the cylinders. I think the Type 3 style is better.
Air has to be pulled into the fan housing with nothing blocking it.
How are the vents in the engine lid?
The fuel has to be delivered properly so it does not run in a lean
condition. Also are you using the oil bath air cleaner? Does the exhaust
sound or seem blocked?
The ign. timing has to be proper, too retarded or too advanced is not good.
The valves have to be properly adjusted.
You need the proper oil for your climate.

Does the car freely move by hand even after running it for awhile? IOWs are
the brakes dragging?

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

ps.com...

Old March 19th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Noice87 wrote:

> Went by to talk to my mechanic today. He said I didn't have a
> Thermostate and that I didn't need one as it didn't get that cold.
> IHe things my over heating could be the RPM being to high. He showed
> me how to adjust that which I will do when I get back rfrom a business
> trip. And then take it on the road for a test drive.

RPM too high?? ROFLMAO

Even if the thermostat is missing, the flaps in the
fan shroud could still be closed. Maybe there aren't any,
maybe they aren't closed. Who knows. But I think the
cooling system needs a very thorough look.

Another oddball possibility is a mouse nest inside
the fan shroud or just above the cyl fins. Happens often
to engines/cars left idle for even short periods. Very, very
hard to spot the nest too.

Jim
Old March 20th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Timing was checked and adjusted. I drove it and when I got back he
said it sounded like it needed adjusting so he adjusted it and I took
it out again. Lots more power this time. He said next time I bring
my car in he would mark it with a red mark and check it again. He
checked it this time outside where it was hard to see with the
sunlight.

Brakes he said needed to be adjusted some and told me how to adjust
them (Tighten so the whells do not turn and then back them off till
they turn but have a little bit of friction)

When he took the engine apart he changed the manafolt as it was from a
stick shift (Hole not big enough for vacum) Also changed the
generator as the other one he said the brushing looked worn and
wouldn't hold a charge as well. When he had the engine apart it was
pretty dirt. We cleaned it pretty good.

He also mentioned Dirt dobers as a possible source of the problem

Thanks Steven

Old March 20th 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

"Noice87" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Went by to talk to my mechanic today. He said I didn't have a
> Thermostate and that I didn't need one as it didn't get that cold.
> IHe things my over heating could be the RPM being to high. He showed
> me how to adjust that which I will do when I get back rfrom a business
> trip. And then take it on the road for a test drive.

I suggest you wander over to this page & have a good read. You have to get
right near the bottom to get to thermostat
stuff.

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/search?q=thermostat

tell you what, its taken me ages to find this article, I just stiop &
read....

James

Old March 23rd 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Noice87

Right now it has a 69 Engine lid so no vent holes. I need to repaint
the one that was on it and install it. I am going to try and play
with it some tomorrow.