Time Chain....?

Old September 21st 04, 12:45 AM
Rogers

Default Time Chain....?

I have an SW2 1999 What is the suggested time to replace the chain...

I have a 100,000 Miles (164,000kms).

I just started getting, what seems to be a valve tick? Oil and all other
fluids are still good.

Thanks for the info

Graham

Old September 21st 04, 01:33 PM
Oppie

Not sure on the timing chain service interval is on that engine. Pretty sure
that it is an interference engine - one with minimal piston to valve
clearance. If you get a slip in the timing chain (due to wear and loose
clearance), the piston will likely crash a valve... major headache.
A valve tap is usually caused by a bad lifter. AFIK that engine uses a
hydraulic lash adjuster which may be getting spongy and in need of
replacement. Tap can also be caused by a sticking valve stem.

gers.com...

Old September 22nd 04, 02:14 AM
Rogers

Thanks for the tips, I will be opening it up this weekend I hope...See if I
can find anything.

Still if anyone know the suggested changed interval, I would like to know...

Thanks.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:26 AM
BANDIT2941

>Not sure on the timing chain service interval is on that engine. Pretty sure
>that it is an interference engine - one with minimal piston to valve
>clearance. If you get a slip in the timing chain (due to wear and loose
>clearance), the piston will likely crash a valve... major headache.
>A valve tap is usually caused by a bad lifter. AFIK that engine uses a
>hydraulic lash adjuster which may be getting spongy and in need of
>replacement. Tap can also be caused by a sticking valve stem.

There is no service interval. The chain is supposed to last the life of the
engine. If it does need to be replaced it will make lots of clattering noise
alerting you to impending doom. Oppie is correct in that it is and interference
engine. If the chain snaps it'll bend the valves.
Old September 22nd 04, 02:44 AM
Blah Blah

In article >, bandit2941
@aol.comNHRA says...
> >Not sure on the timing chain service interval is on that engine. Pretty sure
> >that it is an interference engine - one with minimal piston to valve
> >clearance. If you get a slip in the timing chain (due to wear and loose
> >clearance), the piston will likely crash a valve... major headache.
> >A valve tap is usually caused by a bad lifter. AFIK that engine uses a
> >hydraulic lash adjuster which may be getting spongy and in need of
> >replacement. Tap can also be caused by a sticking valve stem.

> There is no service interval. The chain is supposed to last the life of the
> engine. If it does need to be replaced it will make lots of clattering noise
> alerting you to impending doom. Oppie is correct in that it is and interference
> engine. If the chain snaps it'll bend the valves.

Proper oil changes should prevent that, among other things...
Old September 22nd 04, 04:45 PM
michelst

I have a Saturn SW2 1997, I had a click noise at 118,000 km sound like a
valve problem. try this: unplug a spark plug (there is no danger) on
piston #1 listen for the noise, if the noise doesn't change replug #1 and
do the same for #2 etc, if you find one piston where the noise reduce or
desepear it's the pin that hold the piston to the arm that is loose
(sorry my english I am french CA) I had that problem and I remove the
engine from the car and send it to a engine refit center (the oil
consumption problem was solved at the same time).
Hope it's not that problem for your car. the computer was giving me some
code also.

Old September 23rd 04, 06:22 AM
anonymous

Think those chains are steel.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:58 AM
michelst

Well At you great suprise it's the saturn mechanic itself in montreal that
did this, my friend is the service director at saturn and he ask one of
his best mechanic to have a look at my car and that's what he did, and my
neighbour and my oncle that are both mecanics and they did it with no
problem. I am not saying that there is no risk, but if I look at what they
did it seem's like the risk is very low.

Old September 23rd 04, 03:14 PM
Oppie

Speaking as an electrical engineer and fair mechanic,
removing the wire from a functioning plug does cause excessive high voltage
which can damage the spark coil and more importantly, kill the transistor
that drives the coil. Since the transistor is likely in the ECU, that can be
a big oops!
This is not to say that I have never removed a plug wire from a running
engine either, it is just good to know what the potential damage might be.
The coil drive transistor is actually pretty well protected but having a
plug wire disconnected does cause abnormal stress on the components... and
stuff happens.

lkaboutautos.com...