Replacing drivers mirror glass

Old April 12th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jocko

Default Replacing drivers mirror glass

During a cold snap 2 winters ago my drivers side outside mirror glass
cracked down the middle. It has since fractured in a few more places so
I've bought a new glass for it. However, my Haynes guide does not say how
to replace the glass.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any hints would be welcome.

Thanks.

Jeff

Old April 12th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

Jocko wrote:
t. However, my Haynes guide does not say how
> to replace the glass.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this? Any hints would be welcome.

I've never tried to replace just the glass, but to remove the mirror
itself on an S-series isn't hard. remove the "shark fin" trim piece,
pull out the foam insulation, then remove the 3 10mm nuts that hold the
mirror in place. If it has a power mirror (post 99 I think), unplug the
connector. If it has a manual mirror, when you remove the shark fin
trim, use an allen wrench to remove the adjuster from the trim.

Install is the reverse.
Old April 12th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jocko

Yes, Haynes covers that part, but it's the actual removal of the glass from
the main assembly that has me stumped.

Anyone?

.net...

Old April 13th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Skip

That happened to my 2000 sl2 for the first three winters, each time I
took it back to the dealer and they replaced the mirror. The last time
I told them that if it happened again I wanted the whole assembly
replaced. Hasn't happened again, but we haven't had a long run of sub
zero weather like when it was breaking. There might be a service
bulletin for this issue, check with a dealer, might get them to do it
for free. The mirror is just glued to the bracket that holds it. If
your determined, I guess you could break out the cracked mirror, clean
of remaining fragments and glue on a new one.

Old April 15th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Nick Hull

In article <5UITh.5992$Yh.3904@trndny09>,
Skip > wrote:

> That happened to my 2000 sl2 for the first three winters, each time I
> took it back to the dealer and they replaced the mirror. The last time
> I told them that if it happened again I wanted the whole assembly
> replaced. Hasn't happened again, but we haven't had a long run of sub
> zero weather like when it was breaking. There might be a service
> bulletin for this issue, check with a dealer, might get them to do it
> for free. The mirror is just glued to the bracket that holds it. If
> your determined, I guess you could break out the cracked mirror, clean
> of remaining fragments and glue on a new one.

Or just glue the new one over the old one, double faced foam tape
should work fine

5 series mirror glass Simon73 BMW 0 September 11th 06 07:50 AM
Gc replace mirror glass Mike C Jeep 2 April 5th 06 04:26 AM
Drivers door mirror glass SteveG BMW 4 August 22nd 05 07:35 PM
GC - Replace just mirror glass? [email protected] Jeep 8 July 2nd 05 12:10 AM
Need Heated Mirror glass t0ph3r BMW 1 June 4th 05 01:35 PM