Wanting to purchase a '99 540i auto, but have questions...

Old January 16th 05, 01:39 PM

Default Wanting to purchase a '99 540i auto, but have questions...

I always liked the BMW 5 series look, specially the older models. I have a chance to purchase a 1999
540 automatic-sport shift, with 90K km on the clock. I'm concerned that maybe a used bimmer might
be prone to mechanical or electrical problems, hence my questions to this forum.

Are there any mechanical or electrical issues that I should be aware of and would need to check,
other than what is posted on TSBs and recalls?

This particular car's service engine light is on, I was told by the dealer that its likely that the
gas cap was not tightly installed and the light will be reset on the ECM. Anything to be aware of
here?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chris...

PS. the car is located in Kitchener Ontario, Canada.
Old January 16th 05, 05:33 PM
Michael Low

Be careful. Although the 540 is a good and reliable car. BMWs only
work well when they are properly maintained so there is no guarantee
when you buy it used. Maintenance of BMWs is a critical factor and BMW
maintenance is expensive, some owners, especially of used cars, try to
get around servicing their cars. Used cars come in at least 3
categories: ROUGH, AVERAGE and CLEAN. Some other rating systems also
add a 4th category. IMO, you will get in trouble if you opt for a used
BMW in a category other than CLEAN. Prior BMW ownership is very useful
when considering a used BMW - if not, you may be in for a shock.

All cars require parts to be replaced at certain points in their
lifespan from wear and tear. It is the same with the 540. The
questions you ask get asked all the time - you can imagine how many
people seek advice. The answers are well documented - look in the
archives here and better still, look in the ROADFLY.COM forum for this
car:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/

It's not practical to try to regurgitate a thorough list. It's best if
you look for yourself. The last excellent source is the following
site:

http://www.bmwtips.com/

Look under "TIPS and TRICKS" for advice to people like yourself.

There are many generic used car buying advice - key ones a ownership
and service history, make sure the car is not a salvage, don't ignore
any warnings - the check engine light may also mean the catalytic
converters are toast. Have it checked over by a BMW mechanic before
sale can be made. Finally, when buying an expensive used car it is
best you plan it weeks if not months ahead and test several cars until
you find the "right one". Jumping on an opportunity from out the blue
is very risky.

Old January 16th 05, 10:56 PM

All good points and further food for thought!

Thank you!

Old January 17th 05, 01:20 AM
Jim Levie

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:39:59 -0500, Veeffer wrote:

> I always liked the BMW 5 series look, specially the older models. I have a chance to purchase a 1999
> 540 automatic-sport shift, with 90K km on the clock. I'm concerned that maybe a used bimmer might
> be prone to mechanical or electrical problems, hence my questions to this forum.
>
> Are there any mechanical or electrical issues that I should be aware of and would need to check,
> other than what is posted on TSBs and recalls?
>
> This particular car's service engine light is on, I was told by the dealer that its likely that the
> gas cap was not tightly installed and the light will be reset on the ECM. Anything to be aware of
> here?

A loose gas cap will trip the CEL, so the dealer could be correct. For any
used car other than a CPO that carries a warranty (BMW or otherwise) you'd
be well advised to pay for a through pre-sale inspection by a reputable
dealer or independant.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old January 17th 05, 08:11 PM
spare-me-spam

Yeah, yeah, it COULD be the gas cap......
It could also be the EVAP purge valve, a crank or cam position sensor,
the MAF sensor, 1 of 4 knock sensors, one of 4 O2 sensors, or any of the
couple hundred other possible faults monitored by the OBD diagnostics.
Tell the dealer to tell you what it IS, not what he hopes it's LIKELY to
be.

Old January 21st 05, 03:15 AM

All good points. Thanks!

The dealer could re-set the ECM and the CEL could go away for a few days, only to come back if its
something more urgent. I don't know, hate to part with money only to have to dish out more for
parts or repairs. Did some research on the web on BMW forums and there is some risk with purchasing
a used BMW without knowing the complete service record of the vehicle.

I think I'll pass on this unit. If the dealer doesn't want to spend the money (effort) to repair or
re-set the CEL, why should I or any other customer consider this vehicle. Will keep looking for
something newer with factory warranty.

Thanks again.