2002 A4 - Headlights & Dash Lights

Old February 7th 05, 08:30 PM
Bill Klein

Default 2002 A4 - Headlights & Dash Lights

Hi all,

Recently acquired a 2002 A4 and am very happy with it so far.

One thing that's been driving me slightly nutty though, is turning on
the headlights at night. Unlike other cars that I have driven, the
dash lights do not seem to be tied at all to the headlights, so there
is no visual cue (i.e. can't see dash!) that you need to turn the
headlights on. Thus I keep forgetting to turn them on.

Am I just going to have to live with this, or is there a way to have
the dash illuminate when the headlights are on, but stay dim
otherwise? (I should note that Canadian DRLs are enabled here, so
perhaps that's the problem). I have played with the + / - buttons but,
again, these seem independent of the headlights.

Many thanks.

Bill
Old February 7th 05, 09:08 PM
Ronny

Bill Klein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently acquired a 2002 A4 and am very happy with it so far.
>
> One thing that's been driving me slightly nutty though, is turning on
> the headlights at night. Unlike other cars that I have driven, the
> dash lights do not seem to be tied at all to the headlights, so there
> is no visual cue (i.e. can't see dash!) that you need to turn the
> headlights on. Thus I keep forgetting to turn them on.
>
> Am I just going to have to live with this, or is there a way to have
> the dash illuminate when the headlights are on, but stay dim
> otherwise? (I should note that Canadian DRLs are enabled here, so
> perhaps that's the problem). I have played with the + / - buttons but,
> again, these seem independent of the headlights.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Bill

Lol you lost me, when its dark you turn on your lights to see, the dash only
illuminates when you turn your lights on, the stereo stays illuminated all
the time.

I dont understand how you can forget to turn on your lights? you need them
to see where your going

Old February 7th 05, 09:27 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Ronny wrote:

>Lol you lost me, when its dark you turn on your lights to see, the dash only
>illuminates when you turn your lights on, the stereo stays illuminated all
>the time.

I don't know when Audi changed the color of the speedo and rpm dials
on the A4, but AFAIK when they were all red (previously) they were on
all the time regardless of the headlight setting.

In tunnels, e.g. they got forgotten very often.

Regards

Wolfgang

--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI
Old February 7th 05, 09:34 PM
Ronny

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> Ronny wrote:
>
> >Lol you lost me, when its dark you turn on your lights to see, the dash

only
> >illuminates when you turn your lights on, the stereo stays illuminated

all
> >the time.

> I don't know when Audi changed the color of the speedo and rpm dials
> on the A4, but AFAIK when they were all red (previously) they were on
> all the time regardless of the headlight setting.
>
> In tunnels, e.g. they got forgotten very often.
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang
>
> --
> 1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI

Interior lights have never been on all the time, at least since 1995 when
the first A4 was released, it must be a canadian thing with DRL, around 99
was when they went from all red to the new colours i think

Old February 7th 05, 09:42 PM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Ronny wrote:

>Interior lights have never been on all the time, at least since 1995 when
>the first A4 was released, it must be a canadian thing with DRL, around 99
>was when they went from all red to the new colours i think

Yep, my A6 is a 9/99 build and was one of the first with the blue
lightblue lights.

I just didn't know when they changed it on the A4.

Regards

Wolfgang

--
1999 Audi A6 Avant TDI
Old February 8th 05, 10:22 AM
Pete

"Ronny" wrote
> Interior lights have never been on all the time, at least since 1995 when
> the first A4 was released,

Actually they have. Not sure which model years exactly, but I have read
numerous comments from A4 (b5 and b6) owners stating that their dashboard is
always lit up. And I can see how that can be confusing to Bill. You hop in
the car at night, you start it up, you see your dashboard lit up, so you
assume that the exterior lights are on as well... Thankfully my '01 A4 is
not like that.

It's a good thing that you can at least reprogram it, as per Peter's post.

Cheers,

Pete

Old February 8th 05, 05:06 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"Darwin McCullough" > wrote:

> The dashboard on my 2004 A4 seems to have an *active* illumination; where it
> brightens and dims according to ambient light conditions - a feature I quite
> like actually!

This feature has been present for quite a long time. Even my 1996 A4
did this.

> Of course it is always illuminated when headlights are on.

It would be strange if it were otherwise!

Old February 8th 05, 05:17 PM
Darwin McCullough

well in 1996 i was only 16 years old!
i'm just an audi rookie

"Peter Bell" > wrote in message
> In message >
> "Darwin McCullough" > wrote:
>
> > The dashboard on my 2004 A4 seems to have an *active* illumination;

where it
> > brightens and dims according to ambient light conditions - a feature I

quite
> > like actually!

> This feature has been present for quite a long time. Even my 1996 A4
> did this.
>
> > Of course it is always illuminated when headlights are on.

> It would be strange if it were otherwise!
>
> --
> Peter Bell (Note Spamtrap - To reply, replace 'invalid' with

'bellfamily')