Dead Battery

Old July 13th 05, 03:22 AM
curbrider

Default Dead Battery

my alternator stopped charging i replaced it now the volts show over
charging but new battery was dead in 5 min any help is welcome thanks

Old July 13th 05, 03:31 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Have your battery tested, often two parts of a system go bad at the
same time, throwing the other in stress. Then put a volt meter
in-between the your positive terminal and start testing for a short and
what you have to remove to stop the short.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 13th 05, 04:42 AM
BillyRay

Alternators and voltage regulators often go hand-in-hand.

Your local auto parts store can do an charging system review in a few
minutes, often for free.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old July 13th 05, 02:39 PM
Mike Romain

What are you driving and what engine?

You are describing a bad connection.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 14th 05, 01:33 AM
curbrider

91 jeep cherokee 4.0 replaced alternator and it over charge even with the
battery disconneted

Old July 14th 05, 02:23 AM
Mike Romain

Now you are talking a dead computer because it got fried from the
alternator surging with no battery buffer.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 14th 05, 02:41 AM
Jerry Bransford

How can the alternator even work with the battery gone? Generators work
fine with no battery, alternators do not since they need +12 volts from
the battery for the exciter voltage before they will work.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 14th 05, 03:28 AM
curbrider

i only pulled positive cable off for 30 seconds

Old July 14th 05, 04:48 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The diode is popped instantly when the battery is disconnected
while running, you need another rebuilt alternator.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 14th 05, 07:14 AM
Will Honea

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:41:13 UTC Jerry Bransford >
wrote:

> How can the alternator even work with the battery gone? Generators work
> fine with no battery, alternators do not since they need +12 volts from
> the battery for the exciter voltage before they will work.
>
> Jerry
>
> Mike Romain wrote:
> > Now you are talking a dead computer because it got fried from the
> > alternator surging with no battery buffer.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> >
> > curbrider wrote:
> >
> >>91 jeep cherokee 4.0 replaced alternator and it over charge even with the
> >>battery disconneted

There is enough residual flux to self excite most alternators - but
I've only seen one that would avalanche (or bootstrap) enough current
to actually be functional. Once excited, it's another story - the
alternator needs on the order of a couple of amps in the rotor to
produce full output so if you keep the battery on long enough to get
past a certain point (and it doesn't take much) then disconnect it,
the alternator will continue to operate at up to near rated output
until it is shut down in some way (stopped, etc.). The ones I've
played with have had miserable regulation and horendously noisy
outputs, but they do work. A few even got so far out that they
exceeded the voltage ratings for their diodes and fried them.

--
Will Honea

Dead battery 89 GT - Doh! John Ford Mustang 1 June 15th 05 03:21 AM
Civic Battery Dead Pat Honda 20 February 7th 05 07:51 PM
Dead Battery : ( dragenwagen VW air cooled 8 November 25th 04 09:15 AM
Battery Dead Again!!! Gary Mazda 12 November 9th 04 12:42 PM
Dead Battery current leak Jeremy Saturn 3 July 1st 04 07:54 PM