Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

Old May 21st 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

On May 20, 8:31*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> On 05/20/2011 01:48 PM, Steve Walker wrote:

> >> I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got
> >> it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time.
> >> Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old,
> >> speed rate S.

> >> Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which
> >> will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce oil
> >> foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?

> > My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the
> > tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls
> > flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber
> > compounds.

> so you might think, but it doesn't work that way. *flexing helps reduce
> overall energy absorption because it's not being dissipated in bumping
> 3000+ lbs of car up and down. *also, energy saving tires have rubber
> with low hysteresis, not low flexibility.
>
> --
> nomina rutrum rutrum

The best energy saver is a narrow tire. Lower aspect ratio tires also
give less give. Generally suspensions are tailored to the tires used.
My Avalanche rides very nice even with 275/55-20 tires.

Greg
Old May 21st 11, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/20/2011 06:50 PM, g wrote:
> On May 20, 8:31�pm, jim > wrote:

>>> My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the
>>> tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls
>>> flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber
>>> compounds.

>> so you might think, but it doesn't work that way. �flexing helps reduce
>> overall energy absorption because it's not being dissipated in bumping
>> 3000+ lbs of car up and down. �also, energy saving tires have rubber
>> with low hysteresis, not low flexibility.
>>
>> --
>> nomina rutrum rutrum

> The best energy saver is a narrow tire. Lower aspect ratio tires also
> give less give. Generally suspensions are tailored to the tires used.
> My Avalanche rides very nice even with 275/55-20 tires.
>
> Greg

displacement has nothing to do with it - it's all about hysteresis.
look it up.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 21st 11, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_2_]

jim beam > wrote in
t:

> On 05/20/2011 01:48 PM, Steve Walker wrote:

PSI

maybe

>>> I had the car for 1 year, and I think it was quite bumpy since I got
>>> it, although it's a bit hard to tell if it got any worse over time.
>>> Tires are OEM sized, Michelin Energy Saver, less than 1 year old,
>>> speed rate S.
>>>
>>> Somoene here mentioned shocks may lose presurization over time, which
>>> will lead to bumpiness. I think the pressure is in there to reduce

oil
>>> foaming. Why should they get stiffer with less pressure?

>> My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the
>> tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls
>> flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber
>> compounds.
>>

> so you might think, but it doesn't work that way. flexing helps reduce
> overall energy absorption because it's not being dissipated in bumping
> 3000+ lbs of car up and down. also, energy saving tires have rubber
> with low hysteresis, not low flexibility.

and once again you got it wrong. its all about less rolling resistance
which is a large part less flexing too. less flex less rolling
resistance. hiper milers do it to some extent with very high tire
pressures, also enhanceing less rolling resistance. every time the tire
flexes it is trying to climb up hill. KB

Old May 22nd 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/21/2011 12:12 PM, Kevin Bottorff wrote:
> jim > wrote in
> t:

> PSI

> maybe

> oil
>>>

>>> My personal opinion is that energy saving tires, like increasing the
>>> tire pressure,would tend to give a firmer ride, because the sidewalls
>>> flexing consume the most energy, next to friction from soft rubber
>>> compounds.
>>>

>> so you might think, but it doesn't work that way. flexing helps reduce
>> overall energy absorption because it's not being dissipated in bumping
>> 3000+ lbs of car up and down. also, energy saving tires have rubber
>> with low hysteresis, not low flexibility.
>>

> and once again you got it wrong. its all about less rolling resistance
> which is a large part less flexing too. less flex less rolling
> resistance. hiper milers do it to some extent with very high tire
> pressures, also enhanceing less rolling resistance. every time the tire
> flexes it is trying to climb up hill. KB

go ahead and read the wikipedia article for "rolling resistance". it's
confused because some of its contributors are, but it at least hits some
of the points. the part on inflation pressure should interest you. or not.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum