Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

Old May 19th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Default Corolla 2006 bumpy ride (continued)

Dan > wrote in news:162373cf-c146-4348-860c-cc87428e4359
@y31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
> (instead of the recommended 32).
> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
> gives a bumpier ride on this car.
>
> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
> they are over pressurized,
> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
> imperfections.
>
> Any thoughts or similar experience?

You're too old. Buy a Camry or something else with a softer suspension.

--
Tegger
Old May 19th 11, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 05/18/2011 10:04 PM, Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ*ク wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:05:42 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> Wow. KYBs used to be fantastic. I put them on a 1974 Corolla 1200 and was
>>> amazed! I put them on my "Hachiroku" and was amazed! I put them on one of
>>> my other cars and was...let down big time! (I think it's the Mazda I'm
>>> driving now).
>>>
>>> So, when it was time to buy new shocks for the Supra, Bilsteins or Konis
>>> were first choice, but wound up going with Tokico (OEM supplier) because
>>> the Bs and the Ks were just too damn expensive!
>>>
>>> Tokico is the OEM supplier for Toyota, and I have had original shocks go
>>> to 100,000 miles!
>>>

>> I dunno, PO of my 944 put KYBs on the rear shortly before I bought the
>> car and they started clanking w/in a year or two. Not long after that I
>> had occasion to borrow my then-landlady's Nissan pickup and I made some
>> offhand comment about how it felt underdamped - here her ex-husband (pro
>> wrench) had just put on new shocks - KYBs. (whoops... next time I'll
>> just shut up.) So I'm not a big fan, although that is a sample size of
>> two. The Bilsteins that replaced the KYBs on the Porsche were still
>> going strong when I sold it just a few months ago.
>>
>> nate

> I have had a lot of people tell me the KYBs aren't what they were. They
> got bought up by someone, can't remember who, but a big player-Gabriel or
> Monroe comes to mind.
>
> I would have liked the Bilsteins, but I paid $600 for the car, and $475 in
> shocks just didn't cut it!

Hah. I've had at least two cars I can think of - well, actually three,
because I reused one of the suspension setups - where the
suspension/wheels/tires were worth more than the rest of the car.

Yeah, maybe I'm a little odd.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 19th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 18 May 2011 23:59:02 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Dan > wrote in news:162373cf-c146-4348-860c-cc87428e4359
> @y31g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>> (instead of the recommended 32).
>> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>> gives a bumpier ride on this car.
>>
>> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>> they are over pressurized,
>> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>> imperfections.
>>
>> Any thoughts or similar experience?

> You're too old. Buy a Camry or something else with a softer suspension.

Hey! I have a Scion!
Old May 19th 11, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Old May 19th 11, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 18 May 2011 04:46:44 -0700 (PDT), Dan >
wrote:

>On May 18, 10:08*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2011 23:32:27 -0700 (PDT), Dan >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>> >(instead of the recommended 32).
>> >The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>> >So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>> >tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>> >gives a bumpier ride on this car.

>> >It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>> >they are over pressurized,
>> >so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>> >imperfections.

>> >Any thoughts or similar experience?

>> How many miles on the car? *Maybe the shocks are worn out.

>40k miles. Is it possible shocks are bad at that mileage?

It's possible. I've seen shocks shot in 30K and others last to 90K.
I'd be surprised on the Corolla if they were the problem at that
mileage. Is the poor ride something new?
Old May 19th 11, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

wrote:

>On 05/18/2011 10:14 AM, Hachiroku ???? wrote:

>>> If they are KYBs, it's *entirely* possible. I don't have a whole lot
>>> of experience w/ Japanese cars though. (I've had the same experience
>>> with Sachs/Boge replacements for an old VW - replaced original shocks
>>> at something like 110K miles; 20K miles later I had to replace them
>>> again... GRR...)
>>>
>>> nate

>> Wow. KYBs used to be fantastic. I put them on a 1974 Corolla 1200 and was
>> amazed! I put them on my "Hachiroku" and was amazed! I put them on one of
>> my other cars and was...let down big time! (I think it's the Mazda I'm
>> driving now).
>>
>> So, when it was time to buy new shocks for the Supra, Bilsteins or Konis
>> were first choice, but wound up going with Tokico (OEM supplier) because
>> the Bs and the Ks were just too damn expensive!
>>
>> Tokico is the OEM supplier for Toyota, and I have had original shocks go
>> to 100,000 miles!
>>

>I dunno, PO of my 944 put KYBs on the rear shortly before I bought the
>car and they started clanking w/in a year or two. Not long after that I
>had occasion to borrow my then-landlady's Nissan pickup and I made some
>offhand comment about how it felt underdamped - here her ex-husband (pro
>wrench) had just put on new shocks - KYBs. (whoops... next time I'll
>just shut up.) So I'm not a big fan, although that is a sample size of
>two. The Bilsteins that replaced the KYBs on the Porsche were still
>going strong when I sold it just a few months ago.
>
>nate

I might be all wet but I was talking about this with a friend who also
had a bad experience with KYBs and he thought the KYBs were made in
such a way that any sideload that is applied to the shaft messes them
up. I had some on an S-10 and they seemed fine, no noises. He had
some on a 68 Mustang and his were noisy like you describe. He said on
the Mustang the shock is what keeps the spring from rotating sideways
in the swivel bottom spring mount. On my S-10 they were not side
loaded at all. Any chance your problems happened on cars that
somewhat sideloaded the shocks?
Old May 19th 11, 06:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/18/2011 07:04 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 19:05:42 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

>>> Wow. KYBs used to be fantastic. I put them on a 1974 Corolla 1200 and was
>>> amazed! I put them on my "Hachiroku" and was amazed! I put them on one of
>>> my other cars and was...let down big time! (I think it's the Mazda I'm
>>> driving now).
>>>
>>> So, when it was time to buy new shocks for the Supra, Bilsteins or Konis
>>> were first choice, but wound up going with Tokico (OEM supplier) because
>>> the Bs and the Ks were just too damn expensive!
>>>
>>> Tokico is the OEM supplier for Toyota, and I have had original shocks go
>>> to 100,000 miles!
>>>

>> I dunno, PO of my 944 put KYBs on the rear shortly before I bought the
>> car and they started clanking w/in a year or two. Not long after that I
>> had occasion to borrow my then-landlady's Nissan pickup and I made some
>> offhand comment about how it felt underdamped - here her ex-husband (pro
>> wrench) had just put on new shocks - KYBs. (whoops... next time I'll
>> just shut up.) So I'm not a big fan, although that is a sample size of
>> two. The Bilsteins that replaced the KYBs on the Porsche were still
>> going strong when I sold it just a few months ago.
>>
>> nate

> I have had a lot of people tell me the KYBs aren't what they were. They
> got bought up by someone, can't remember who, but a big player-Gabriel or
> Monroe comes to mind.

just put a set of gr2's on one of my civics. still made in japan.
handle great. build quality better than oem - at least as far as i can
see from the outside. and i have looked closely.

> I would have liked the Bilsteins, but I paid $600 for the car, and $475 in
> shocks just didn't cut it!

by that logic, you'd never change the oil or tires either. shocks are a
safety item dude - if you're going to drive it, spend the money.

other than that, i had a set of bilsteins on a civic years ago. i was
amazed that they didn't seem to know about the basics of metal fatigue -
there were two types of load-bearing notches in their construction. i
took them off. they may be great at some other types of application,
but for honda, they don't get it and i wasn't going to guinea pig the
fatigue testing they should have done themselves.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 19th 11, 07:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/18/2011 04:46 AM, Dan wrote:
> On May 18, 10:08�am, Ashton > wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2011 23:32:27 -0700 (PDT), >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I experienced a bit with the tire pressure - I set it to 28 PSI
>>> (instead of the recommended 32).
>>> The ride comfort improved noticeably.
>>> So, this leads me to the conclusion that even a slight increase in
>>> tire pressure, like after driving for a while,
>>> gives a bumpier ride on this car.

>>> It seems that something is wrong with the the shocks valving or maybe
>>> they are over pressurized,
>>> so that they don't let the suspension absorb small to medium road
>>> imperfections.

>>> Any thoughts or similar experience?

>> How many miles on the car? �Maybe the shocks are worn out.

> 40k miles. Is it possible shocks are bad at that mileage?

not likely, but possible. gas pressurized shocks tend to depressurize
over time, and when they do, ride harshness increases considerably.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 19th 11, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:57:48 -0700, jim beam wrote:

> On 05/18/2011 07:04 PM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:

>>> I dunno, PO of my 944 put KYBs on the rear shortly before I bought the
>>> car and they started clanking w/in a year or two. Not long after that I
>>> had occasion to borrow my then-landlady's Nissan pickup and I made some
>>> offhand comment about how it felt underdamped - here her ex-husband (pro
>>> wrench) had just put on new shocks - KYBs. (whoops... next time I'll
>>> just shut up.) So I'm not a big fan, although that is a sample size of
>>> two. The Bilsteins that replaced the KYBs on the Porsche were still
>>> going strong when I sold it just a few months ago.
>>>
>>> nate

>> I have had a lot of people tell me the KYBs aren't what they were. They
>> got bought up by someone, can't remember who, but a big player-Gabriel or
>> Monroe comes to mind.

> just put a set of gr2's on one of my civics. still made in japan.
> handle great. build quality better than oem - at least as far as i can
> see from the outside. and i have looked closely.
>

>> I would have liked the Bilsteins, but I paid $600 for the car, and $475 in
>> shocks just didn't cut it!

> by that logic, you'd never change the oil or tires either. shocks are a
> safety item dude - if you're going to drive it, spend the money.
>
> other than that, i had a set of bilsteins on a civic years ago. i was
> amazed that they didn't seem to know about the basics of metal fatigue -
> there were two types of load-bearing notches in their construction. i
> took them off. they may be great at some other types of application,
> but for honda, they don't get it and i wasn't going to guinea pig the
> fatigue testing they should have done themselves.

I wound up getting Tokicos for ~$200. That's what it came with.

The KYBs were about the same price, but the last two sets didn't hold up.

The set before that went 6 years. I don't know if they changed.

Or I have...
Old May 19th 11, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/19/2011 07:40 AM, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:57:48 -0700, jim beam wrote:

>>> I have had a lot of people tell me the KYBs aren't what they were. They
>>> got bought up by someone, can't remember who, but a big player-Gabriel or
>>> Monroe comes to mind.

>> just put a set of gr2's on one of my civics. still made in japan.
>> handle great. build quality better than oem - at least as far as i can
>> see from the outside. and i have looked closely.
>>

>>> I would have liked the Bilsteins, but I paid $600 for the car, and $475 in
>>> shocks just didn't cut it!

>> by that logic, you'd never change the oil or tires either. shocks are a
>> safety item dude - if you're going to drive it, spend the money.
>>
>> other than that, i had a set of bilsteins on a civic years ago. i was
>> amazed that they didn't seem to know about the basics of metal fatigue -
>> there were two types of load-bearing notches in their construction. i
>> took them off. they may be great at some other types of application,
>> but for honda, they don't get it and i wasn't going to guinea pig the
>> fatigue testing they should have done themselves.

> I wound up getting Tokicos for ~$200. That's what it came with.
>
> The KYBs were about the same price, but the last two sets didn't hold up.
>
> The set before that went 6 years. I don't know if they changed.
>
> Or I have...

the last set of gr2's i had lasted about 100k. not spectacular, but for
the price, good enough. and they're a little better than oem on
damping, but don't rattle your brains out. the trouble with most
"upgrade" shocks is that they tend to go "firm", in some cases, way firm
- and with some of the crazy bad roads we have here in the bay area, you
don't want that.

anyone got experience with tokico illuminas? i tried kyb agx's, but
even though they were supposed to be adjustable, it seemed that was only
for the rebound, not compression - they were a harsh ride.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum