Dealership "Necessary" For New Timing Belt ?

Old May 28th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob[_53_]

Default Dealership "Necessary" For New Timing Belt ?

Hello,

Have a V6 2005 Accord with 110K on it.

So, I guess will need a new Timing Belt and Plugs.

Is this something that should really be done at a Dealership, or can
most any "competent" garage handle it ?

Must the Plugs be those Pt tipped very expensive ones ?

Thanks,
B.
Old May 28th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 28 May 2011 09:42:35 -0400, Bob wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Have a V6 2005 Accord with 110K on it.
>
> So, I guess will need a new Timing Belt and Plugs.
>
> Is this something that should really be done at a Dealership, or can
> most any "competent" garage handle it ?
>
> Must the Plugs be those Pt tipped very expensive ones ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

What plugs are called for in the owner's/service manual?

Plugs are usually easy! Get a proper plug socket, and have at in the back
yard.

Hondas are prolific, and there are a lot of places that specialize in
Hondas for less money than the dealer.

One really GOOD thing about having the dealer do it: Honda has been
keeping computerized records for decades. You can take a Honda into any
dealer, and they can see what was done to it by dealers since the day it
was sold.

Old May 29th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/28/2011 06:42 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a V6 2005 Accord with 110K on it.
>
> So, I guess will need a new Timing Belt and Plugs.
>
> Is this something that should really be done at a Dealership, or can
> most any "competent" garage handle it ?
>
> Must the Plugs be those Pt tipped very expensive ones ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

stop wasting our time. you've asked this question multiple times on
multiple forums. cough up the dough or get rid of the car.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old May 29th 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
bluto

Got this one right Jim. I hope Bob is not a surgeon or runs a nuclear power
plant, his indecisiveness would be fatal.

t...

Old May 31st 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
danl

On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:16:30 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
wrote:

SNIP<<<
>One really GOOD thing about having the dealer do it: Honda has been
>keeping computerized records for decades. You can take a Honda into any
>dealer, and they can see what was done to it by dealers since the day it
>was sold.

If this is accurate, is the printout available to a customer upon
request. Possibly for a small fee?

Dan
Old May 31st 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:18:39 -0400, danl wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:16:30 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
> wrote:
>
> SNIP<<<
>>One really GOOD thing about having the dealer do it: Honda has been
>>keeping computerized records for decades. You can take a Honda into any
>>dealer, and they can see what was done to it by dealers since the day it
>>was sold.

> If this is accurate, is the printout available to a customer upon
> request. Possibly for a small fee?
>
> Dan

They used to read it off to you for free...

Old June 2nd 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
danl

On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:57:37 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
wrote:

>On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:18:39 -0400, danl wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:16:30 -0500, Hachiroku ???? >
>> wrote:
>>
>> SNIP<<<
>>>One really GOOD thing about having the dealer do it: Honda has been
>>>keeping computerized records for decades. You can take a Honda into any
>>>dealer, and they can see what was done to it by dealers since the day it
>>>was sold.

>> If this is accurate, is the printout available to a customer upon
>> request. Possibly for a small fee?
>>
>> Dan

>They used to read it off to you for free...

Thanks