EATX Relay Physical Location 91 Voyager

Old July 7th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ron

Default EATX Relay Physical Location 91 Voyager

Does anyone know the physical location of the EATX Relay in the 91
Plymouth Voyager 3.3L? The trans intermitantly goes into limp-in and I
want to try changing this relay before replacing TCM. Thank you for
your help.Ron

Old July 7th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Daryl Bryant[_1_]

"ron" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone know the physical location of the EATX Relay in the 91
> Plymouth Voyager 3.3L? The trans intermitantly goes into limp-in and I
> want to try changing this relay before replacing TCM. Thank you for
> your help.Ron

What does limp mode mean?

Try checking your trans fluid level! Use a white napkin to wipe the fluid
level stick! Should be bright pink! If it's brown or even smells burnt
chances are that you have internal damage and should take it in to a
reputable transmission professional!

If that's not the issue. Try disconnecting your battery for an hour or more
so that your vehicle will have to re-learn the proper settings! You'll have
to drive it around on the freeways (expressways) and side streets before it
will re-learn everything!

Idono where the eatx is but I would guess would be rather close to your
eeprom!

You didn't happen to mention if you had A/C?

Old July 8th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ron

Daryl,Limp-in means the trans stays in 2nd gear and will not shift out
of it until you shut off the engine and start it again. I took it to a
trans shop but he did not have time to fix it. He said it is probably
the TCM since I have an old style TCM (one without cooling fins). There
is an outside chance it could be the EATX relay and that I can change
myself if I knew where it was,hense my question.Yes, I have A/C but I
don't think that has anything to do with the problem.Ron

Old July 9th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_5_]

ron wrote:
> Daryl,Limp-in means the trans stays in 2nd gear and will not shift out
> of it until you shut off the engine and start it again. I took it to a
> trans shop but he did not have time to fix it. He said it is probably
> the TCM since I have an old style TCM (one without cooling fins). There
> is an outside chance it could be the EATX relay and that I can change
> myself if I knew where it was,hense my question.Yes, I have A/C but I
> don't think that has anything to do with the problem.Ron

The transmission control relay should be right next to the TCM, and
should have 2 Red power wires, and light green, and red/black control
wires going to it.
Old July 10th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ron

Steve, >Thanks for the input. The TCM is mounted on the passenger
side firewall and there are no relays on the firewall. The closest
relays to the TCM are mounted on the passenger side fender shroud.
There is a group of 2 relays together and further on the shroud under
where the jack is mounted there is a group of 2 more relays. I am
assumming the EATX relay must be one of these 4 relays. The question
being which one is it? All 4 relays feed into the bunch of wires that
go to the TCM among other places. To further complicate the situation,
there are more relays mounted on the drivers side fender shroud and I
am assumming the EATX relay is not one of these since they are
physically further away from the TCM than the afore mentioned relays.
Of course I could be wrong about that since logic always does not apply
to the design of automobiles (i.e. try changing the 3 back spark plugs
in the 3.3L).All the relays have a part # on them and if you know the
part # of the EATX relay that would help narrow it down somewhat
although some of them have the same part#.> Thanks again for your
input.> Ron

Old July 10th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_5_]

Ron,
I've found that the location of electrical components, and the
color-coding of wiring doesn't always follow the Chrysler factory
manuals. My 1991 had the TCM relay next to the TCM. Evidently, yours
must be on the passenger fender wall as shown on the scanned diagram
I've sent to your email address. They call it the safety shutdown relay
(not the same as the auto shutdown relay). The best way to pinpoint
which one is correct is to look at the color coding of the wires on the
connector. It should have two reds, a light green wire, and a black/red
wire.

Old July 14th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ron

Steve--------This is becmming an interestng quest. First of all, I
checked all the relays on both fender walls and none of them have the
wire colors you indicated. Secondly, I went to 2 different auto supply
stores and the closest thing they have is a relay called "Electronic
Automatic Transaxil" relay which I assume is the EATX relay. Thirdly,
the relays they have for Plymouth are 1989-90 and 1992-96. 1991 IS
MISSING!----------Also while snooping around under the hood, I noticed
that, although this van is California Certified for smog controls, it
was MADE IN CANADA! I wonder if this is why the EATX relay is not on
the firewall and the wire colors don't match what you indicated they
should be.----I'm ready to give-up unless you have any further
clues......Thanks again for your help so far......Ron.........P.S. I
did not receive your email with the diagrams.

Old August 15th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
thowell

im in canada and my relays are on the firewall and i am tring to change
them one for the other to see if it makes a difference but i do know if
you have a leak as i found out today when the trans cooler (factory)
line started to leak bad you only get limp mode im thinking if the
presure goes down in the trany than limp it is

thowell
thowell's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=470173
View this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=588796

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 16th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ron

thowell wrote:
> im in canada and my relays are on the firewall and i am tring to change
> them one for the other to see if it makes a difference but i do know if
> you have a leak as i found out today when the trans cooler (factory)
> line started to leak bad you only get limp mode im thinking if the
> presure goes down in the trany than limp it is

> thowell
>

>Thowell,

I don't think it's a good idea to inter-change the relays to see what
happens. All the relays are not electrically the same and you may get
an unpleasant outcome. (for example: one relay the contacts may be
normally open and on the other they maybe normally closed). The relays
on my van look physically the same but have different numbers. I think
these numbers mean something. I wouldn't try interchanging them unless
you are sure they are electrically identical.