1990 Caravan Oil Burning Problem...

Old May 16th 04, 02:04 PM
Biju

Default 1990 Caravan Oil Burning Problem...

I have an 1990 dodge caravan (3.0). I think its burning oil. Somebody told
me that its the header. What exactly is the header ( is it the Head Gaskets)

Thanx in advance.

Old May 16th 04, 04:53 PM
Steve W.

3.0 + Oil burning = Valve Job. The guides wear and the movement of the
stem damages the seals.

--
Steve Williams

t...

Old May 16th 04, 04:53 PM
Steve W.

3.0 + Oil burning = Valve Job. The guides wear and the movement of the
stem damages the seals.

--
Steve Williams

t...

Old May 18th 04, 05:50 PM

heads,,, reman

Old May 18th 04, 05:50 PM

heads,,, reman

Old May 19th 04, 07:10 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:53:39 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

> 3.0 + Oil burning = Valve Job. The guides wear and the movement of the
> stem damages the seals.

Not always! ;-)

My 3.0 needed no valve work when I rebuilt it for its smoking problem. In
my 3.0's case, the piston rings were gummed up from the prev. owner using
cheap liquid **** for oil. I remember one time, I had a stoplight race
with some guys from my then-college, and I felt so bad for the old lady
behind me... I didn't realize when I floored it that I would have such a
thick *PLUME* of smoke behind me. Completely SWALLOWED her car, lol.
After that I don't think I ever floored it. Still, the problem seemed to
get better and worse as it went along, overall for the worse.

In either case, it's still at the least a partial teardown and rebuild,
I'll concede that ;-)
Old May 19th 04, 07:10 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old May 19th 04, 07:13 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Sun, 16 May 2004 09:04:23 -0400, Biju wrote:

> I have an 1990 dodge caravan (3.0). I think its burning oil. Somebody
> told me that its the header. What exactly is the header ( is it the Head
> Gaskets)
>
> Thanx in advance.

I was always under the impression that a header was what went between the
heads and the intake. Or was it exhaust? Anyway, like Steve suggested,
it could be a valve job. In my case, the oil burning was piston rings.
Either way, you have at least a partial rebuild on your hands. Don't
work on it until you can do without it indefinitely. A head job can be
done in less than a week, I think, but if you do need a complete rebuild
then it depends on who's doing it (you or some shop) and parts
availability.

Also check out allpar.com - they have a decent amount of info on the 3.0L
mitsu engine.

HIH

CJ
Old May 19th 04, 07:13 PM
Circuit Breaker

Old May 20th 04, 01:04 PM
Jim

If you have the 3.0 V6, it's the valve stem guides. They get old and stiff
and oil leaks by and down the valve stem shafts into the engine. I replaced
the ones on my 91 Dynasty with the 3.0 and the oil burning problem went
away. It cost me about $25 and a weekend in my garage. Hope that helps.

t...