Passat TDI Wagon

Old July 23rd 05, 12:49 AM
Joseph Meehan

Tony Bad wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I am looking at the wagon and it only comes in automatic.
>>
>> Maybe I will just get the A3 instead.
>>

> I can't understand who at VW makes these decisions. I live in NY, so
> I can't get ANY TDI,

Hopefully you will be able to get them once the new clean fuel is
available and VW can bring in their modern clean engines.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 23rd 05, 01:35 AM
Whole Lotta Tom

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Tony Bad wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>> This was a 2005 Passat TDI Sedan. From 0 - 1900 RPMS(just before
>>> the turbo kicks in) you can floor it or push the pedal halfway
>>> down, and the car accelerates the same. Once you hit 1900 RPMs,
>>> yeah, it accelerates quickly.
>>>
>>> Either way it is annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew of a
>>> remedy.
>>>

>> Was it an automatic? I find that the combination of an auto tranny
>> and TDI is not as pleasing to drive as a manual.

> That might be it. Frankly with a manual, I find it has plenty of
> kick at low RPMs.

Sounds like it could use a looser convertor. A stall of around 1800 would
be perfect.

Tom

My diesel truck runs on used veg oil!
http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/main.html

My 1958 Ford
http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/

Visit the Cleveland Engine Forum
http://www.351cleveland.net

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security,
unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you
would not hear of that party again.... There is a tiny splinter group,
of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L.
Hunt...a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician
or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they
are stupid."

--President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old July 23rd 05, 01:35 AM
Woodchuck

Go with it. My next VW going to be a TDI Passat. The ones I see in our shop
usually show 35-38mpg on the long range trip computer.

oups.com...

Old July 26th 05, 05:53 AM
Al Rudderham

On 21 Jul 2005 12:51:30 -0700, wrote:

>I have read a few articles about the TDI and I test drove it yesterday.
> I am interested in it but the lag below 1900 RPMs was very concerning.
> Are there any "simple" modifications that can be made to the car to
>improve that 0-20mph lag? By simple I mean adding or modifying the
>chip or a minor hardware install.
>
>Does turning off the stabilization affect it at all?

To put the rest of this in perspective, I've been driving a 2005
Passat TDI since last September. I drove A4 Jetta TDIs with 5 spd
manual since late 1998, and all of my previous cars going all the way
back to 1984 were other VW turbo diesels.

The lag is much more noticable in the Passat 2.0 TDI than it is in the
1.9 TDI used in the Jetta and Golf. It reminds me of my first VW
turbo diesel - a 1984 Jetta TD. I love the "kick" that comes when the
turbo spins up, and am very glad that the Passat reminds me of that
old 84 that way. The 84 was by far the most fun to drive of all the
turbo diesels. The A4 TDIs came closer than the 92 TD or 97 TD I had.
The 2.0 TDI comes closer still.

My assumption, given the much higher torque and horsepower numbers for
the 2.0 TDI, is that the turbo boost on the 2.0 is much more
aggressive than on the 1.9 TDI. If that's the case, the only way to
eliminate the lag without reducing power would be to supercharge
instead of turbocharging. Not a likely solution. It's just the way a
turbo charger works. The lag could also be hidden by detuning things,
so there was less boost so the difference was less. Again not a great
solution.

Other responses have suggested that the Tiptronic plays a part in
this. I don't think that's right. I've never owned an automatic
before, and before I got the Passat I saw it as a major downside. I
no longer see it that way. One thing the automatic does for the
turbo, is shift quickly enough to maintain full boost between gears,
since it shifts quicker than I even could shift a 5spd. It's also
great in stop and go driving.

Here's some real world stats after 10 months of driving the Passat
TDI. Total distance 21961KM. Total fuel 1643.1 Litres. That works
out to 7.48 L/100KM, or 37.8 MPG (Imperial gallons) or 33.0 MPG (US
gallons). That is a mix of mostly city and semi-rural commuting, with
some highway thrown in. I tend to have a heavy foot. I've had to
adjust with the Passat, because if you just mat it pulling away from a
stop the tires spin so easily.

In contrast my last TDI Jetta (2002) did 5.46 L/100KM, or 51.7
Imperial MPG, or 43.1 US MPG, driving the same pattern. Given the
size of the Passat compared to the Jetta, I'm not at all unhappy with
those results. I wish the DSG gearbox being used in the 2006 Jetta
TDI was available on the Passat, but

In the past month I've made several long highway trips, and the Passat
has been a real pleasure. I wouldn't go back.

--
Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
(Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)
Old July 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:53:47 -0400, Al Rudderham
> wrote:

>Here's some real world stats after 10 months of driving the Passat
>TDI. Total distance 21961KM. Total fuel 1643.1 Litres. That works
>out to 7.48 L/100KM, or 37.8 MPG (Imperial gallons) or 33.0 MPG (US
>gallons). That is a mix of mostly city and semi-rural commuting, with
>some highway thrown in. I tend to have a heavy foot. I've had to
>adjust with the Passat, because if you just mat it pulling away from a
>stop the tires spin so easily.
>
>In contrast my last TDI Jetta (2002) did 5.46 L/100KM, or 51.7
>Imperial MPG, or 43.1 US MPG, driving the same pattern. Given the
>size of the Passat compared to the Jetta, I'm not at all unhappy with
>those results. I wish the DSG gearbox being used in the 2006 Jetta
>TDI was available on the Passat, but

I have a Touran with the 2.0TDI 16v 140hp engine and the 6-speed DSG.
I an year of driving (19000km) my total average has been 6.1L/100km.
It is a mix of driving pretty much like yours.

The Touran is about the same weight as the Passat but with a somewhat
higher air resistance (cw).

I tend to have a not-very-heavy foot
Old August 1st 05, 12:39 PM
Bulldog

You may be interested to learn that the Passat TDI 2.0l 138bhp with DSG
has just become available to order in the UK so it may be worth a
vistit you your US VW dealer.

Yesterday I drive a Golf GTI with DSG (the GTI has a petrol / gasoline
egine with just on 200bhp) and it was an animal. The 6 speed DSG is
just as good as people say and light years ahead of the usual auto
transmissions.

You can check out would VW have in the UK at www.volkswagen.co.uk.