car wont start

Old May 21st 05, 03:40 AM
dragonfire1179

Default car wont start

hi i need help quick i recently bought a 1974 ford torino i drove it home
500 miles no problem.drove it to work it started once and died now it wont
start it turns over it has all new plugs and wires so im pretty sure its
getting spark.any suggestions would help.i think it may be a fuel delivery
problem.

Old May 21st 05, 03:56 AM
fweddybear

> hi i need help quick i recently bought a 1974 ford torino i drove it home
> 500 miles no problem.drove it to work it started once and died now it wont
> start it turns over it has all new plugs and wires so im pretty sure its
> getting spark.any suggestions would help.i think it may be a fuel delivery
> problem.

If it is getting spark, then the only other thing could be a fuel
problem.... when you turn the key to the on position, do you hear a noise
like the sound of a small motor for a second or two? This would be your
fuel pump... if not, then thats probably what you will need to replace.....

Good Luck,
Fwed

Old May 21st 05, 04:03 AM
dragonfire1179

you know i dont hear the pump running but i dont think i ever have

Old May 21st 05, 04:09 AM
« Paul »

fweddybear wrote:

> > hi i need help quick i recently bought a 1974 ford torino i drove it home
> > 500 miles no problem.drove it to work it started once and died now it wont
> > start it turns over it has all new plugs and wires so im pretty sure its
> > getting spark.any suggestions would help.i think it may be a fuel delivery
> > problem.

> If it is getting spark, then the only other thing could be a fuel
> problem.... when you turn the key to the on position, do you hear a noise
> like the sound of a small motor for a second or two? This would be your
> fuel pump... if not, then thats probably what you will need to replace.....
>
> Good Luck,
> Fwed

1974 - pump's on the engine.
In tank pumps supply high fuel pressure to FI.
Old May 21st 05, 04:09 AM
dragonfire1179

im not so sure if it has an electric fuel pump

Old May 21st 05, 04:12 AM
« Paul »

dragonfire1179 wrote:

> hi i need help quick i recently bought a 1974 ford torino i drove it home
> 500 miles no problem.drove it to work it started once and died now it wont
> start it turns over it has all new plugs and wires so im pretty sure its
> getting spark.any suggestions would help.i think it may be a fuel delivery
> problem.

Do you THINK there is spark, or do you KNOW there is spark?
Your engine needs several things to run:
Fuel
Air
Spark
Timing
You will have to find out which is not working and post back.
Old May 21st 05, 04:16 AM
Comboverfish

dragonfire1179 wrote:
> im not so sure if it has an electric fuel pump

That's because it doesn't (from the factory).

Spray some starting fluid in the carb throat after removing the
aircleaner lid, then crank the car. If it attempts to start you can be
fairly certain you aren't getting fuel to the carburetor.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old May 21st 05, 04:31 PM
William R. Watt

You should be able to check for a spark by holding an ignition wire close to
the block or body for a ground. You need a hand held starter or an
assistant to turn the key in the ignition, or you can tie the wire to
something where you can see it as you turn the key in the ignition yourself.

If you think it's a fuel problem you can pull on the accellerator linkage
and see if any gas squirts into the carburetor. Also look for gas leaking
around the fuel pump which should be mounted on the engine. It doesn't
cost much to change the fuel filtre if it looks dirty but that would have
to be totally blocked.

As a last resort check that there's fuel in the tank.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old May 21st 05, 05:24 PM
Mike Romain

The gas filter would be my starting point after I had pulled a plug wire
and stuck a screwdriver in the plug boot to hold close to the block to
see if it really does spark.

A long fast drive on an old city or short trip driven tank can plug a
gas filter up fast. Especially if it sat with an empty tank. The
condensation makes rust flakes and the new gas fill up washes them
along.

Sometimes the screen 'sock' on the end of the gas line in the tank will
even plug up with flakes. You can blow air back in slowly sometimes to
clear them, but too much air can tear the screen or blow it off.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 22nd 05, 02:11 PM
dragonfire1179

well i realized i dont have time to fix it so a family friend who owns a
garage is looking at it thanks for the suggestions