98 VW Jetta GL 2.0L gas - Electrical Problem - Help!

Old March 18th 05, 04:59 PM
Stephen

Default 98 VW Jetta GL 2.0L gas - Electrical Problem - Help!

VW Enthusiasts...
Have this weird electrical problem... Any help suggestions Welcome!
I am sure this is not an isolated issue... I am the originl owner of
the car - Overall the car has been decent - but this electrical problem
is driving me nuts..

The Problem:
Intermitently the Windshield wipers, Lights, Blower stop working while
I am driving -- I can here something Arcing while this is happening
somewhere- The car keeps running fine - but it really quite dangerous
to loose your driving lights and windshield wipers at night. On the
dash for some reason the Brake light comes on faintly - It is as if
part of the core electrical system is failing intermitantly -- I here
arcing noise somewhere round the dash but I have no clue where to start
-- All the fuses are fine -- I am not sure which relay to check --
Maybe it is someting in wiring harness soemwhere? I tried to figure out
if there is a pattern -- IT appears this problem is getting more and
more frequent - Soon I will not be able to drive this car at night
becasue the lights keep failing.

I am somewhat disappointed with VW - I have owned 4+ VWs -- This
Mexicn build model hasn't really lived up to what I expected in the
electrical department.

Old March 18th 05, 08:34 PM
David Sykes

replace the electrical switch behind your ignition key. It's a $17 part
he

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...ectrical/206/6

this happened to my wife's 96 jetta (now gone). You have to come up from
behind the ignition. There is a screw holding the switch in.

Dave