BMW UK threatens Dealers

Old March 15th 05, 10:47 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Best I have found is the SMMT website
http://www.smmt.co.uk/dataservices/d...TOKEN=82740000

At the bottom of each month's summary is a link to download a report.

Unfortunately there's no breakdown by model.

The Licensing Centre (DVLA) does not publish any data, as opposed to the
German authorities, from whom model detail is available.

DAS

---

news [...]

Old March 16th 05, 12:26 AM
Daniel Arrepas

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Best I have found is the SMMT website
> http://www.smmt.co.uk/dataservices/d...TOKEN=82740000

Thanks Dori, someone from the ng kindly sent these to me:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw-bm...d-16-01-05.asp

The station wagons (Touring) aren't a big deal in the US so they don't do
much for increasing sales when available or decreasing sales when not. But
apparently in the UK that is a desired option, so it doesn't seem too
surprising that the year without the Touring would be a lesser year than the
year the Touring became available. But in either case both years were better
than the 2002 e39 year.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/bmw/bmw_an... 08_01_04.asp

According to these two UK reports, in terms of 5 series, 2004 (e60) was much
better (+27%) than 2003 (e60), which was better (+2%) than 2002 (e39). I
don't see where BMW was under any sales duress to drastically cut prices on
the e60 5 series in either 2003 or 2004.

I don't know what to think. When it comes to these new designs, people's
emotions are so torn I find it very hard to take anybody's word at face
value anymore. I don't think they are untruthful, I just think their
perspectives are so strongly skewed that all possibilities of
close-to-objective comment have seemingly vaporized.

Old March 16th 05, 07:02 AM
John Burns

> As far as I'm concerned, they can start with John Clark Ltd of Aberdeen.
> I've never met such a load of self-opinionated dickheads in one place. Smart
> showroom spoilt by the amount of bull**** flying about.
> Thanks to them it will be a very long time before I buy another BMW.

Their parts department and techies are excellent though. Find the older
salesman with the moustache, he's one of the "old school" and is a real
BMW guy.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old March 16th 05, 11:36 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

Thanks for the links to this website. Also found a report which stated that
the UK is BMW's third largest market after Germany and USA. Unsuprisingly,
same applies to Mercedes-Benz.

Yes, BMW estate cars (station wagons), even those based on the 3, are quite
important, as are those derived from the Merc C-Class.

Finally, I can sympathise about your sentiments about people's advice. When
it comes to appearance and the driving 'feeling' only you can judge. Other
people can only help with technical and other 'objective' matters.

DAS

---

Old March 16th 05, 01:55 PM
Frank Kemper

"Dori A Schmetterling" > haute in die Tasten:

> Yes, BMW estate cars (station wagons), even those based on the 3,
> are quite important, as are those derived from the Merc C-Class.

In Germany, from my personal observation I expect the Touring models to
be responsible for some 40% of the overall sales of the 5'series. I
also expect that many buyers of an E60 have owned an E39 before. So it
is very likely that those who owned an E39 Touring when the E60 sedan
was launched, rested in patience to wait for the Touring. The same may
be true for M5 drivers, who probably will not give away their E39 M5
for a 545i E60, but may very well consider an upgrade to the new M5.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old March 16th 05, 03:47 PM
Daniel Arrepas

"Oldun" > wrote in message
> As far as I'm concerned, they can start with John Clark Ltd of Aberdeen.

> I've never met such a load of self-opinionated dickheads in one place.

Ahh, come on. A bigger load of self-opinionated dickheads than exist on
Usenet? :^)

> Smart showroom spoilt by the amount of bull**** flying about.
> Thanks to them it will be a very long time before I buy another BMW.

Well, that's too bad. I wouldn't let a salesman's behavior prevent me from
buying anything, though I would let it prevent me from buying from him or
his place of business.

Old March 16th 05, 04:09 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote
> Thanks for the links to this website. Also found a report which stated
> that the UK is BMW's third largest market after Germany and USA.
> Unsuprisingly, same applies to Mercedes-Benz.

Dori, according to the latest Roundel, USA is actually the largest market
for BMW (296,111 vs. 283,559). I presume that your listing Germany
1st was a slip of the mind?

Of course, the reason the USA leads Germany is the large number
of X5/X3 (especially X3) sales.

Floyd

Old March 16th 05, 06:11 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

It wasn't, but I'll check. Have to go somewhere now.

DAS

---

Old March 17th 05, 11:02 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

The report I read did not give numbers outside the UK but a senior UK
manager was quoted as saying "after the USA and Germany", so this could,
indeed mean that the US is the biggest, i.e. confirming the Roundel data.

DAS

---

Old March 17th 05, 05:35 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Is the repost/repeat a computer glitch? Not seen this before.

DAS

---