GT4 Driving view

Old March 12th 05, 02:25 PM
Driver

Default GT4 Driving view

What driving view is it in GT4? Can not find screenshots from inside a
car..?
Old March 12th 05, 04:08 PM
Joe62

Driver > wrote:

>What driving view is it in GT4? Can not find screenshots from inside a
>car..?

No in-car (probably not practical with 700+ cars). The "bumper view"
though is superbly done. You have a real feel for the motion of the
car, and it seems very natural to feel where the sides of your car
are. Plus as a bonus, because your own car doesn't have to render, you
get a rear-view mirror in this mode.

Joe62
Old March 12th 05, 04:14 PM
Mitch_A

Joe62 wrote:

> Driver > wrote:
>
>>What driving view is it in GT4? Can not find screenshots from inside a
>>car..?

> No in-car (probably not practical with 700+ cars). The "bumper view"
> though is superbly done. You have a real feel for the motion of the
> car, and it seems very natural to feel where the sides of your car
> are. Plus as a bonus, because your own car doesn't have to render, you
> get a rear-view mirror in this mode.
>
> Joe62

Not practical? If it doenst have a cockpit it isnt a simulating anything
except other console racing games. It sure isnt simulating reality.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old March 12th 05, 05:17 PM
Steve Smith

I'd rather have 350 cars with cockpits. Being surrounded by a real dash,
instruments, switchgear, steering wheel & trim (not to mention sound) is a
great immersion factor. I'm guessing that Polyphony figures the feckless
pre-teens that drool over this surfeit of ironmongery swoon over the
(exterior) styling and don't care a fig about the interiors. Pity. (I
remember the convincing cockpit views that came with the early Need for
Speed series fondly. But those were the days of co-op multiplay in FPS's
too. Sic transit....)

om...

Old March 12th 05, 05:36 PM
Dave

In article >, Joe62 > wrote:

>No in-car (probably not practical with 700+ cars). The "bumper view"
>though is superbly done.

I always thought "bumper view" (or "cam") is a bit unfair. A
loaded term. It is not the view from a bumper, but from the
cockpit, ie higher up and further back. It just doesn't have
dash bits, properly placed gauges etc. Perhaps more importantly
(at least to me) it doesn't have fenders so you have to learn from
practice as to where the ends of the car are. But you do adjust.

As to whether this makes it a "toy" or "game" to you (not you
Joe62, just in general), well, an opinion. Suffice to say that
everyone doesn't share it. Including many sim enthusiasts. If
you do not buy the game because of that, well, that's your
decision and IMO, your loss.

I've always been taught to look up and out. One Evolution School
exercise is to actually tape off the lower part of the view to
force you to look further out. I doubt in real racing you spend
much time looking at the pretty gauges. And honestly, I find the
views in games with complex, big dashes to be too confining, and
in some ways less like what I see when I autoX than a no-dash
view.

Having said all that, I'll admit this was a touch of a
rationalization. Hell yes, I wish they did have a dash view :-)

-Dave
Old March 12th 05, 05:50 PM
Darus

I don't have PS2 or GT4, but I agree with your "view" (sorry, bad joke)
about the perception of what one sees when you drive a car IRL. You
simply do not see the dash, aside from a periphal view, unless you
consciously look down for something. I realize that the dash/gauges are
there, but they don't dominate my vision as they do in sim games. There
was one view that someone made (NR2003) that was essentially a view
from the top of the dash just behind the wheel, that included a bit of
the window frame and the hood and fenders. I liked that as it "framed"
the view like a cockpit, but didn't allow a complete view of the track
i.e. curbs, road edge etc. It was a good compromise, IMO.

Old March 13th 05, 05:22 PM
Joe62

Mitch_A > wrote:

>Not practical? If it doenst have a cockpit it isnt a simulating anything
>except other console racing games. It sure isnt simulating reality.

Oh please. This is such a useless tired old cliche of an argument.
When driving a real car you don't even really see the cockpit; your
brain filters out all that extraneous info to focus on the important
data coming through the windshield.

Joe62
Old March 13th 05, 05:22 PM
Tanstaafl

"Joe62" > wrote in message
> Mitch_A > wrote:
>
> >Not practical? If it doenst have a cockpit it isnt a simulating anything
> >except other console racing games. It sure isnt simulating reality.

> Oh please. This is such a useless tired old cliche of an argument.
> When driving a real car you don't even really see the cockpit; your
> brain filters out all that extraneous info to focus on the important
> data coming through the windshield.
>
> Joe62

Since I don't see a little smiley face in your post I have to assume you
were serious.
OH MY GOD!

Old March 13th 05, 07:06 PM
Ronald Stoehr

Joe62 wrote:
> Mitch_A > wrote:
>

>>Not practical? If it doenst have a cockpit it isnt a simulating anything
>>except other console racing games. It sure isnt simulating reality.

> Oh please. This is such a useless tired old cliche of an argument.
> When driving a real car you don't even really see the cockpit; your
> brain filters out all that extraneous info to focus on the important
> data coming through the windshield.

So you get 5 speeding tickets a week, right?
"No, officer, the tacho is extraneous info to me, so how the hell..."

l8er
ronny
Old March 13th 05, 07:25 PM
Connected

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:22:20 GMT, Joe62 > wrote:

>Oh please. This is such a useless tired old cliche of an argument.
>When driving a real car you don't even really see the cockpit; your
>brain filters out all that extraneous info to focus on the important
>data coming through the windshield.
>
>Joe62

When I drive my car I certainly don't see the road and nothing else.
The hood of my car sits out in front about five feet at least. No
cockpit racers are for arcade weenies.