[l/m 4/29/2003] TBD r.a.4x4 Isuzu FAQ

Old June 15th 04, 02:05 PM
Eugene Miya

Default [l/m 4/29/2003] TBD r.a.4x4 Isuzu FAQ

Archive-Name:

CAUTION
-------

THIS IS A FOUR WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE
WHICH WILL HANDLE AND MANEUVUER DIFFERENTLY
FROM AN ORDINARY PASSENGER CAR IN
DRIVING CONDITIONS WHICH MAY OCCUR ON
STREETS AND HIGHWAYS AND OFF ROAD.
AS WITH OTHER VEHICLES OF THIS TYPE,
IF YOU MAKE SHARP TURNS OR ABRUPT MANEUVUERS
THE VEHICLE MAY ROLLOVER OR
MAY GO OUT OF CONTROL AND CRASH. YOU SHOULD
READ "HANDLING CHARACTERISTICS"
AND "DRIVING" IN YOUR OWNERS MANUAL AND
WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT AT ALL TIMES.

Dedicated to Herb Hultgren, MD
who let me drive his at 12,000 ft.

I am releasing my '88 Trooper shop manual: best offer plus shipping,
if you want it.

From Dave Letterman's Top Ten Words which sound good when sung by an opera
singer:
#9 Isuzu

We assume you know the netiquette (news.announce.newusers or de.newusers or
similar groups, if not, read that group before posting).
This post should eventually be subsumed by Isuzu America.

The line:
Troopers, Trooper IIs, Rodeos, and Amigos
These names and configurations will vary in other countries
[Er, what side of the road do you drive?].

Q: Should I get one?

This question has been moved to the tail of the post so that more relevant
information can be searched by those who need it.

Continuing.

American Isuzu Motors newsletter
Practically Speaking
PO Box 140097
St. Louis, MO 63114-9900

American Isuzu Motors Inc.
P.O. Box
Monterey Park, CA 91754
Isuzu America (toll free, customer service)
1-800-255-6727
Isuzu Roadside Assistance 800-444-0303
TDD 800-999-9035
Isuzu Manuals 800-782-4356
Isuzu Brochures and Dealer Referrals 800-326-7931
Isuzu Product Info 800-326-7931
Isuzu Manuals 800-782-4356
http://www.isuzu.com

"Tread lightly!" 800-966-9900
http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/treadlightly!/

Pointers to other groups and URLs:
http://www.isuzu.com
rec.autos.misc
rec.autos.driving
http://www.indirect.com/www/a4x4/isuzu.html
http://www.indirect.com/www/a4x4/4x4.html
http://www.alldata.tsb.com
ITOG
The Isuzu Trooper Owners Guild
http://www.the-matrix.com/itog/

http://www.bham.net/itog/ Isuzu Troopers Owners Guild. Mother of all Trooper
info, if only for the discussion section.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/ Vauxhall Motors UK Home Page

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/isuzu/isuzmain.html Off-road.com's Izusu Page
Excellent Excellent Site, Randy (one of the Ed.'s) is very cool.

http://4x44u.vmag.com/forum/trooper/ Isuzu Trooper Owners Forum.
Ask questions, ITOG is better

http://4x44u.vmag.com/forum/amigo/ Isuzu Amigo Owners Forum Ask Amigo
questions. ITOG better for non Specific Questions

http://www.starnet.com.au/psnare/jackaroo.htm AustrialianTrooper

http://www.off-road.com/cgi-bin/dnew...ad.isuzu-honda
Items in Isuzu/Honda for sale.

http://www.isuzuengines.com./ American Isuzu Motors Inc. - Engine Operation.
They make diesel engines

http://www.98trooper.com/ Isuzu - 98Trooper

http://www.4x4now.com/4wht.htm 4-Wheeling "How-To"

http://www.bcoffroad.com/ BC Off Road

http://www.autoworx.com/html/suv_products.html Performance Autoworx
Aftermarket Parts, site under construction

Personal web Sites
http://icecube.acf-lab.alaska.edu/~f...s/trooper.html The Weems
Isuzu Trooper Resource Page Weems Site has some "interesting" links.

http://lib.drury.edu/pub/bbell/trooper.html Brandon Bell's Isuzu Trooper Page

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/8349/trooper.html Mike's Trooper

http://www.bowhunting.net/residents/...an/trooper.htm John in WV's
Trooper

Aftermarket Parts.

http://www.calmini.com/ Calmini Products Manufacturing Good selection,
excellent service, Prices a little high. Limited slip's cheaper elseware.
Let me know if interested

http://www.acme-outfitters.com/produ...r_pricing.html Acme
Outfitters | Products | ARB Bull Bar

http://www.ecb.com.au/ecb/AAAA.htm Answers To Some Vital Questions on Bull
bars

http://ausmall.com.au/motocare/motost7a.htm Motorcare 4WD Accessories Store -
Safety Prod...

http://www.ecb.com.au/ecb/ Welcome to East Coast Bullbars Cool Stuff, they
make a 35 Gal fuel tank for the Trooper.

http://www.overlander.com/trooper.html Overlander Oufitters-Trooper and SLX

http://home.earthlink.net/~cyberkiwi...er/rrwinch.htm Rover bull bars,
Good info. A Range Rover site but good info.

other sources
Other 4x4s?
http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq.html
Sorry, not coordinated yet.
We leave you to find the other mailing lists.

Prodigy: "jump isuzu"

Q: How do I ...?

Check the shop manual, first.

How do I get the shop manual?

Contact Isuzu. You didn't read the previous section?
Or me if you want the 88 one.

Q: Hubs?

Yep.

From: Ray Fink >

> Some time ago, you told me about AVM, but you didn't send me an address,
> phone or what AVM stood for. Do you still have this info?

Oh yeah, they make manual hubs for Isuzu Troopers. They are now marketed
by Superwinch. If you can't find any locally, I ordered a set about a
year ago (for a different Trooper) from
Predator 4WD
Colorado Springs CO
719-528-5790

Q: Lug nuts?

Yes; ask that the lug nuts be hand-tightened.
And even then you might still strip them. Use care.

Rebuilt engines: ATARCO 800-747-1111

ATK North America
4012 Garry Ave.
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Frequent comment: "Seems under powered."
Early ones (used (like 1986)), yes.
Newer ones are "quite adequately" powered.

Other useful accessories:
Superficial irks:
Newer models:
Power windows
Lack of rain gutters:
require special mounting for accessory racks

Extra range gas tank:
Available
Winch:
Available

Lifts, etc.

Calmini Manufacturing 800 345 3305
6600 McDivitt Dr. #B
Bakersfield, California 93313

John Baker Performance Products 800-843-0185
Hwy 35 & Country Road D
P.O. Box 329
Webster, WI 54893-0329

Weems' Isuzu Trooper Page:
http://icecube.acf-lab.alaska.edu/~f...s/trooper.html
http://camelot.acf-lab.alaska.edu/~f...t/trooper.html

Q: Should I get one?

It's your choice. Read the CAUTION.
This is a serious mid-range light utility vehicle.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mid-range because it's wheel base (120 inches) is longer
than a Jeep's [short wheel bases are useful].
It is NOT a heavy duty, high-end vehicle [emphasis].
It's in the same class as pickups. If you need heavy duty (Africa),
consider a Unimog.

Most Isuzus are purchased as "urban assault" vehicles.
They don't see off highway use. Most never see the use of 4WD.
You can call it "sport" or "yuppie," but mine carries the boxes of wine grapes
in the field, etc. No question. Mine's been thrashed. Just ask my mechanic.
She has a few good words to say about mine.
Dumb purchases are based on a fallacy that somehow light utility vehicles
are tougher (That "Baby on board" sign is stupid).
The high center of gravity makes it easier to roll
(one friend has: $8,000 damage).

The next most common group to purchase these vehicles is looking for something
to take to the snow and avoid putting chains on. Carry chains.
Practice defensive snow/ice driving.
A 4WD is not a substitute for good sense, chains,
and practice driving in the snow.
Know when to turn back, before you need.
(Rec.skiing.announce FAQs)

The last group of people (minority) use Isuzus for OHV.

DO NOT ASSUME THAT 4WD, POWER, GEARING, and a lot of METAL WILL GET
YOU OUT OF A TIGHT SPOT. More likely it will take you in deeper.
You are a fool if your life depends in this technology.

Economy: This is not an economy car.
You turn more metal which weighs more which....reduces gas mileage.
The metal fatigues and breaks. The serious terrain increases the fatigue.
If you are going to buy one: You have decided against buying an economy car.

Always test drive (mine: an 1986 driving to the University of California's
White Mountain Research Station, White Mountain, CA, 4K to 12.3K feet with
an option to drive to 14K ft. 5 passengers, and all gear [it was a
cardiology study, and the cardiologist owned the Trooper], the road is
not open to the general public). For me: this was a reasonable test.

Assess: why do you want to buy one? What are your requirements?
Ask hard questions, then ask them again.

Mileage:
Mine: 1988, no air, no radio, no power windows,
400K miles. For sale, as replacement parts.
Replaced: front axle, right hub, head (and gaskets), EPA rating
15 MPG city, 19 MPG highway, your mileage will vary [I have gotten
better at times, but 20 is reasonable, my vehicle is NOT used
for commuting [I bike to work]]. Oil changed every 5K, air filters
every 10K, fuel filters at 30K. Fuel injected, DOHC,
electronic ignition. No power windows (yeah, not a yuppie mobile).
Have not rolled it yet (I know rollers), but it has hung up.
Always have: shovel, snow chains (used several times), AC power
converter. Rebuilt engine at 210K miles.
Minor repairs:
2 fuses (15 Amp), numerous halogen headlights, some
minors dome lights, 1 fusible link, 1 rebuild (210K),
1 partial rebuild around 300K (just gaskets), clutches,
brake pads and disks, an a drive shaft with 3 U-joints.
My current plan is to replace the Silver Dollar Queen in 2003
with what I am not certain yet. At that time I may relinquish this FAQ.
She has been a fine vehicle.