e39 driver's door noise

Old May 26th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default e39 driver's door noise

Dear BMW experts,
I'm getting an unusual, almost creaky noise from around the driver's
door on my 2003 530. It's as though the door is not tightly anchored to
the frame of the car. The noise occurs when the frame flexes such as
when I go over a bump or when I come to a complete stop. It's more
pronounced when somebody is sitting in the back seat behind the driver.
I've held my hand against the front door panel and the window and the
noise still happens. Raising and lowering the windows doesn't seem to
help either. It's not very loud, but it's annoying.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ambrose

Old May 27th 06, 12:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dear BMW experts,
> I'm getting an unusual, almost creaky noise from around the driver's
> door on my 2003 530. It's as though the door is not tightly anchored to
> the frame of the car. The noise occurs when the frame flexes such as
> when I go over a bump or when I come to a complete stop. It's more
> pronounced when somebody is sitting in the back seat behind the driver.
> I've held my hand against the front door panel and the window and the
> noise still happens. Raising and lowering the windows doesn't seem to
> help either. It's not very loud, but it's annoying.

You're sure its not coming from the seat back or base? Very common. If
there's door noise, it can be the weather seals. Try treating them with a
quality rubber product (I use Griots) and see if that stops the noise.

R / John

Old May 27th 06, 02:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

John Carrier ha scritto:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Dear BMW experts,
>> I'm getting an unusual, almost creaky noise from around the driver's
>> door on my 2003 530. It's as though the door is not tightly anchored to
>> the frame of the car. The noise occurs when the frame flexes such as
>> when I go over a bump or when I come to a complete stop. It's more
>> pronounced when somebody is sitting in the back seat behind the driver.
>> I've held my hand against the front door panel and the window and the
>> noise still happens. Raising and lowering the windows doesn't seem to
>> help either. It's not very loud, but it's annoying.

Have the "hook" where door lock's engages checked. Also, have the hinges
of the door checked. sometimes they need a sort of trimming

--
Nicolo' "NiCkO" [24y,231hp,VE]
530iA E39 my2003
Old May 28th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

John,
Thanks for the great advice. I couldn't find a product named Griots so
I used lots of silicone spray. The noise was much less after I used it
and the noise was completely gone the next day. It probably took
overnight for it to soak in.

It's great to have access to folks who know more than you.

Ambrose

Old May 30th 06, 03:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>> Dear BMW experts,
>> I'm getting an unusual, almost creaky noise from around the driver's
>> door on my 2003 530. It's as though the door is not tightly anchored to
>> the frame of the car. The noise occurs when the frame flexes such as
>> when I go over a bump or when I come to a complete stop. It's more
>> pronounced when somebody is sitting in the back seat behind the driver.
>> I've held my hand against the front door panel and the window and the
>> noise still happens. Raising and lowering the windows doesn't seem to
>> help either. It's not very loud, but it's annoying.

BMW has revised seals for the doors - actually - they've been through
three generations of them. The latest are totally silent and don't tear
as some earlier ones did. The seals have a flock (fuzzy) coating that
allows the rubber to move on the metal without the groaning noises.

Silicone lubricants will help - but require repeated application.
Old May 31st 06, 02:28 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Just looking at the seals, I think the rubber seals on the door match
up with rubber seals on the car body. That is, unless I'm mistaken,
there doesn't seem to be a place where rubber mates up with metal.

Ambrose

Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers? Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 7 March 7th 06 01:47 AM
Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers? Mike T. Driving 2 March 2nd 06 01:38 PM
The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 01:37 AM