Does speed-shifting blow up engines? (Little problem)

Old May 26th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Does speed-shifting blow up engines? (Little problem)

I took my dad's old dump truck out into the field and managed to get
the
rear wheels spinning at 70 mph-- while standing still.

Trouble is, the rear tires got traction and the whole truck got
airborne---
leaping and jumping across the meadow. It really was a handful, trying

to regain control.

Ever since this happened I get this horrible rod-knock from the
engine.
I can't decide if I bent a connecting rod or spun a bearing.

Dad comes back home next week. Help!

Old May 26th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 25 May 2006 16:05:40 -0700, "frank wight" >
wrote:

>I took my dad's old dump truck out into the field and managed to get
>the
>rear wheels spinning at 70 mph-- while standing still.
>
>Trouble is, the rear tires got traction and the whole truck got
>airborne---
>leaping and jumping across the meadow. It really was a handful, trying
>
>to regain control.
>
> Ever since this happened I get this horrible rod-knock from the
>engine.
>I can't decide if I bent a connecting rod or spun a bearing.
>
>Dad comes back home next week. Help!

Help?
What *kind* of help are you going to get from a newsgroup?
Any of the above scenarios spells trouble. To me, you're going to
have to take the engine apart to get at the crankshaft and lift the
piston(s) out of the cylinder heads.

Not the end of the world, but work, and "do you have replacement
parts?"

Lg

Old May 26th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

What were you thinking?

Old May 26th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

You're screwed!! Better get a new truck.

Old May 26th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

So what your saying is YOU are a reckless moron with no regard for other
peoples property.

Sounds like you probably damaged the crank. Guess you better be ready to
buy a new engine for you dad.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

oups.com...

Old May 26th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"frank wight" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I took my dad's old dump truck out into the field and managed to get
> the
> rear wheels spinning at 70 mph-- while standing still.
>
> Trouble is, the rear tires got traction and the whole truck got
> airborne---
> leaping and jumping across the meadow. It really was a handful, trying
>
> to regain control.
>
> Ever since this happened I get this horrible rod-knock from the
> engine.
> I can't decide if I bent a connecting rod or spun a bearing.
>
> Dad comes back home next week. Help!

Sounds to me like your escapade proved that it is possible to mess up an
engine doing what you were doing.
The kind of help you need now is cold hard cash to have the engine rebuilt.
Sorry, I'll offer advise, but that's all.

My advice is.... Don't do that again.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old May 26th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

frank wight wrote:

[snip]
> Dad comes back home next week. Help!

Have fun at the military academy.

--
Paul Hovnanian
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
Old May 26th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"frank wight" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I took my dad's old dump truck out into the field and managed to get
> the
> rear wheels spinning at 70 mph-- while standing still.
>
> Trouble is, the rear tires got traction and the whole truck got
> airborne---
> leaping and jumping across the meadow. It really was a handful, trying
>
> to regain control.
>
> Ever since this happened I get this horrible rod-knock from the
> engine.
> I can't decide if I bent a connecting rod or spun a bearing.
>
> Dad comes back home next week. Help!

Just a troll..... and a lame one at that

Old May 26th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Bob" > wrote in message ...

> "frank wight" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I took my dad's old dump truck out into the field and managed to get
>> the
>> rear wheels spinning at 70 mph-- while standing still.
>>
>> Trouble is, the rear tires got traction and the whole truck got
>> airborne---
>> leaping and jumping across the meadow. It really was a handful, trying
>>
>> to regain control.
>>
>> Ever since this happened I get this horrible rod-knock from the
>> engine.
>> I can't decide if I bent a connecting rod or spun a bearing.
>>
>> Dad comes back home next week. Help!
>>

> Just a troll..... and a lame one at that

I'll ditto that conclusion. s

Old May 26th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

frank wight > wrote in article
.com>...
> I took my dad's old dump truck out into the field and managed to get
> the
> rear wheels spinning at 70 mph-- while standing still.
>
> Trouble is, the rear tires got traction and the whole truck got
> airborne---
> leaping and jumping across the meadow. It really was a handful, trying
>
> to regain control.

If you're going to troll, you might at least try to come up with something
that is just a bit more plausible.......

.....then, you might want to make the content match the thread title.