Is 36000 mls a major service?

Old October 12th 04, 06:34 AM
eeyore7

Default Is 36000 mls a major service?

Re my previous post I have a 156 2.0 selespeed which is lying in bits due
to a broken timing belt. Is 36000 mls a major service?

Old October 12th 04, 09:19 PM
Paul Woodsford

Yes, as it includes a cambelt check etc.

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.
"eeyore7" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Re my previous post I have a 156 2.0 selespeed which is lying in bits due
> to a broken timing belt. Is 36000 mls a major service?

---

Old October 12th 04, 09:26 PM
Mr Flipflops

"eeyore7" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Re my previous post I have a 156 2.0 selespeed which is lying in bits due
> to a broken timing belt. Is 36000 mls a major service?

Who did your 36000 service? Franchised non-alfa dealership or a back street
mob? I think what they're getting at is that it was not necessarily the
case that Alfa procedures were followed. However, I would say that anyone
who could be proved to be competent with these cars (i.e. established
business, qualified mechanics), you may have a case for pursuing Alfa/the
dealer. In fact, was it not the case, or going to be the case, recently
that you did not have to get your car serviced at the main dealer? Pretty
sure there was something about that in the news. EU wibble...

On my 2.5 the timing belt was not done until 72000 (2000 X Reg), and I have
zero intention of doing it before 144000 (wear and tear excepted), but I am
making sure that the servicing is done at Alfa with the small stuff (brakes,
exhausts etc) being done by me or another garage.

Old October 12th 04, 11:03 PM
eeyore7

I had a major service at an Alfa franchised dealer at 48000 miles, 12000
miles before the belt snapped but they are using the fact I did not use
them at 36000 miles to wriggle out of their responsibility. P.S. the major
service was supposed to include a cam belt check. Also in the same service
they drained my power steering fluid and forgot to re-fill it! I only
noticed it when the motor started groaning!
Thanks For Your help

Old October 13th 04, 02:30 PM
David C

"eeyore7" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I had a major service at an Alfa franchised dealer at 48000 miles, 12000
> miles before the belt snapped but they are using the fact I did not use
> them at 36000 miles to wriggle out of their responsibility. P.S. the major
> service was supposed to include a cam belt check. Also in the same service
> they drained my power steering fluid and forgot to re-fill it! I only
> noticed it when the motor started groaning!
> Thanks For Your help

If your cambelt lasted till 60000miles you were very lucky (until it
snapped!) most fail around 50000miles.
It is now recommended to change the belt & tensioners (and balance shaft
belt & tensioner on 2.0TS/JTS) every 36000miles/60000km.

The "cambelt check" is a joke, because there is no way of even inspecting a
cambelt unless you remove it and you NEVER refit an old cambelt.
--
David C
156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion

Old October 13th 04, 09:37 PM
Mr Flipflops

"eeyore7" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> I had a major service at an Alfa franchised dealer at 48000 miles, 12000
> miles before the belt snapped but they are using the fact I did not use
> them at 36000 miles to wriggle out of their responsibility. P.S. the major
> service was supposed to include a cam belt check. Also in the same service
> they drained my power steering fluid and forgot to re-fill it! I only
> noticed it when the motor started groaning!
> Thanks For Your help

Have you contacted Alfa directly? Last service I had some research company
called to find out if I was happy etc... so, with a trend toward increasing
customer satisfaction you might find it works in your favour to do so. Of
course, maybe you could try to pursue it through small claims court or
something...

Old October 14th 04, 06:22 AM
eeyore7

I am in contact with Alfa's warranty clerkbut they seem to be looking for
any way out. Timing belt snapped nearly 2 weeks ago still waiting for
repair to commence!
Thanks for your reply

Old October 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Paul Woodsford

You're lucky. My 147, 10mths old, 12239 on the clock, cambelt snapped this
morning.
Had it's 12000 mile service last week.

I'm as sick as a dog, but at least I will not have to fight Alfa over this.

You have my condolences. Hope you win through.

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.
"eeyore7" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I am in contact with Alfa's warranty clerkbut they seem to be looking for
> any way out. Timing belt snapped nearly 2 weeks ago still waiting for
> repair to commence!
> Thanks for your reply

---

Old October 15th 04, 10:10 AM
eeyore7

Well I got some good news Alfa are going to pay half the repair bill which
means I have to pay £700.
Best of luck with your 147.
p.s. I am thinking of trading in my 156 for a 147 2.0ts Lusso what do you
think?