Power Steering hoses...loose?

Old May 8th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Power Steering hoses...loose?

Poking around under the hood of my kid's 79, I noticed what looks like
a loose hose. One of the lines between the poweer steering pump and the
[steering gizmo under the engine] swtiches to a hard line, which moves
freely as if it isn't fully tightened. Unfortunately, I can't figure
out how to get a wrench in there to see if the nut is loose. Poking
around at the other end of the same hose, where it attaches to the pump
it's the same...I can turn and move the hose, and the nut is attached
firmly.

Assuming the nuts are tight, is this hose missing some o-rings,
washers, or something?

What tool is used to reach that unreachable attachment?

-John O

Old May 8th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"JohnO" > wrote:

> Poking around under the hood of my kid's 79, I noticed what looks like
> a loose hose. One of the lines between the poweer steering pump and the
> [steering gizmo under the engine] swtiches to a hard line, which moves
> freely as if it isn't fully tightened. Unfortunately, I can't figure
> out how to get a wrench in there to see if the nut is loose. Poking
> around at the other end of the same hose, where it attaches to the pump
> it's the same...I can turn and move the hose, and the nut is attached
> firmly.
>
> Assuming the nuts are tight, is this hose missing some o-rings,
> washers, or something?
>
> What tool is used to reach that unreachable attachment?

1. That's normal. But care must be taken when replacing because there's
often a delrin collar in addition to the o-rings to limit movement in the
coupling. If it aint leaking, more than a wet seep, or pressure side
hose damaged dont mess. Try Lucas PS additive, instead.
If return hose damaged, replace hose only.

2. good question. I've had to remove the rack [steering gizmo under the
engine]to replace hoses, before. Takes a while but minimizes frustration.

Other times have been lucky enough to get it to break loose with a tubing
wrench. BTW, only buy first quality in those wrenches, cheap ones spread
enough or are sloppy enough to round nuts.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Old May 8th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

> > Assuming the nuts are tight, is this hose missing some o-rings,
> > washers, or something?
> >
> > What tool is used to reach that unreachable attachment?

> 1. That's normal. But care must be taken when replacing because there's
> often a delrin collar in addition to the o-rings to limit movement in the
> coupling. If it aint leaking, more than a wet seep, or pressure side
> hose damaged dont mess. Try Lucas PS additive, instead.
> If return hose damaged, replace hose only.

I've sprayed the area down with engine cleaner to see if I can spot a
fluid leak..there's a lot of thick gunk down there and I think I'll
need a toothbrush eventually. On the gunk, that is. The fluid level is
a bit low, I'll look for a bottle out the additive and top her off.

> 2. good question. I've had to remove the rack [steering gizmo under the
> engine]to replace hoses, before. Takes a while but minimizes frustration.
>
> Other times have been lucky enough to get it to break loose with a tubing
> wrench. BTW, only buy first quality in those wrenches, cheap ones spread
> enough or are sloppy enough to round nuts.

That's the tool I was thinking of...a wrench for under sinks or maybe a
split socket.

Thanks yet again!

-John O

Old May 10th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Reply to message from "JohnO" > (Mon, 08 May 2006 05:27:
28) about "Power Steering hoses...loose?":

> Poking around under the hood of my kid's 79, I noticed what looks like a
> loose hose. One of the lines between the poweer steering pump and the
> [steering gizmo under the engine] swtiches to a hard line, which moves
> freely as if it isn't fully tightened. Unfortunately, I can't figure out
> how to get a wrench in there to see if the nut is loose. Poking around
> at the other end of the same hose, where it attaches to the pump it's
> the same...I can turn and move the hose, and the nut is attached firmly.

> Assuming the nuts are tight, is this hose missing some o-rings, washers,
> or something?

> What tool is used to reach that unreachable attachment?

> -John O

I have a '75 II (dunno how different it would be to yours) and had to
replace the power steering hose (pressure). You will know, without a doubt
if it is leaking. With the enginge running it will shower your engine
compartment or the ground.

Replacing mine wasn't too much of a pain for not having a workshop. I did
have to buy some large open end wrenches, and with a lot of patience, got
it replaced.

Schadenfreudist > Mon, 08 May 2006 17:26:07 -0700